Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 566
Default

Well. The idea that because most criminals used marijuana at some point in their lives caused their criminal behavior is a flawed argument from the outset.

I can say with utmost confidence that 99.9% of convicted felons ate bread as a youth. Therefore, the bread caused their criminality. Just throw it out!

The facts are, humans love mood-altering drugs. Human teens have been drinking ethanol for 5,000 years or so, and no law is going to change that behavior. (Nanny state, conservative friends?) I'm not sure about marijuana, but it is a milder drug, which doesn't cause aggressive tendencies like liquor, so, shrug.
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 566
Default

I found this on the internet. It doesn't mean that marijuana is "less dangerous" than sodapop, of course. But, facts are facts.

Active Ingredient:
Soda - sugar, caffeine
Marijuana- THC

Health Risks:
Soda - Obesity, tooth decay, diabetes
Marijuana - Short term impairment, lung trauma if ingested via smoking

Addictive:
Soda - caffeine is an addictive chemical
Marijuana - none, although psychological addiction is common

Carcinogens:
Soda - Coloring, flavor additives, sweeteners ex-sugar
Marijuana - None

Medical Applications:
Soda - Most doctors recommend none or limited
Marijuana - Effective palliative for cancer-treatment and AIDS-treatment related nausea, glaucoma (reduces pressure in eyes)

Availability:
Soda - Sold in public schools
Marijuana - Illegal in most states. But widely available in all high schools.
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Soda - Sold in public schools
Marijuana - Illegal in most states. But widely available in all high schools.
And you can grow your own.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 100
Default So you would try peaceful resolution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I wouldn't call security for a whiff of weed. Weed made my dads final days livable and helped keep him eating. Even as a recreational drug it's better then alcohol. I grew up in a alcoholic houshold. I used to leave for days at a time to stay with my pothead friends because they were not screaming at each other.
I kinda treat my neighbors on a cruise like I would my neighbors at home.
If they stink the place out I tell them they are blowing it. Security will find them on their own but I don't call anybobdy untill I have beem unable to get a peacfull resolution on my own.
I can see why a cruise wouldnt want to have weed on board. International rules are what they are and they have to operate under those conditions.

That means potheads need to practice discretion or risk going to jail.

I will never be convinced ending prohibition will create more criminals. Those people who operate within the law don't suddenly become outlaws because a law become more relaxed.
If you claim it is a fact, state your source. If I were to make a bold claim in an argument paper I had better be able to state a reputable source. Otherwise it is just conjecture.

Even if laws are more ralaxed here they may not change at our destination ports. Getting locked up in some armpit jail can't be a good vacation.

Let's say you happen to be passing by the smoking section. A young thug is telling his bros a story about Snob Dog and medical marijuana. He petitely holds a joint between his fingers in one hand. You try peaceful resolution and he responds with a barrage of garbled curses. You call for security. He staggers forward and stumbles against you causing you to fall in a crumpled heap under his three houndred pounds. Security comes to the scene. They extract you from under the thug. They put both of you on your feet. They take the joint from the thug - ahh good they are collecting evidence. The thug protests. "Hey that's my medical marijuana and I want it back." I have a medical script see." He fumbles in his wallet. and finally produces a wrinkled card. He then accuses you of being the culprit who caused him to stumble and his bros sing out in unison that he is telling the truth. The Philipino security personnel stand watching until the deck officer and medical officer shows up with clipboards and forms. They look at the prescription form. The medical officer, the deck officer and the scurity personnel huddle. The officer hands the joint back to the thug. The officer takes your name and continues to prepare his report. The doctor asks if you are feeling any pain and you answer that you do not.

Meanwhile a chopper is landing on the ship and the thug is air evacuated to Miami, Florida. You ask why and the doctor responds he complained and we want to make sure he is okay. They don't want to be sued.

The next day after a miserable night filled with pain because you dislocated something you disembark. You go to the emergency ward of the local Miami hospital.
you miss your plane home and the airline wouldn't refund your ticket and your travel insurance wouldn't pay for air fare because the Miami police have a warrant out for you for assault. The thug's attorney also shows up and you find out the thug is suing you for damages to his client.

The local police and they are arrest you for assault - charges brought by thug who is very familiar with justice system. Since you are an out of state resident you have to post a bond or wind up with a handcuff on you in hospital bed. You find out from your Miami lawyer that the assault charge will be dropped; however, you have to get a payment to the lawyer.

Meanwhile, the thug is enjoying his stay in the hospital until he is thrown out for smoking not because he's smoking pot but because the hospital it is a no-smoke hospital.

Your lawyer finds out that the thug's prescription is from a Medicare ripoff doctor who is indicted for multimillion dollar false billing in Florida and fled to Puerto Rico.

Then you decide to sue the cruise line because they allowed this thug to be on board. You find out that the ship is chartered in Panama you will have to use a Panamanian court and appear in this court. When the case comes to trial the security people cannot be located and the ship's officers have been transferred to other ships.

Because of the pain from the fall, and you are now bankrupt, you qualify for medicinal marijuana under the national health plan. No more cruising for you.

Yes and all because you tried peaceful resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Let's say you happen to be passing by the smoking section. A young thug is telling his bros a story about Snob Dog and medical marijuana. He petitely holds a joint between his fingers in one hand. You try peaceful resolution and he responds with a barrage of garbled curses.
, all stoners are passive and more interested in sunsets than fighting. That is one of the nice features of marijuana versus liquor.

Interesting fantasy though!
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Marsdude's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Let's say you happen to be passing by the smoking section. A young thug is telling his bros a story about Snob Dog and medical marijuana. He petitely holds a joint between his fingers in one hand. You try peaceful resolution and he responds with a barrage of garbled curses. You call for security. He staggers forward and stumbles against you causing you to fall in a crumpled heap under his three houndred pounds. Security comes to the scene. They extract you from under the thug. They put both of you on your feet. They take the joint from the thug - ahh good they are collecting evidence. The thug protests. "Hey that's my medical marijuana and I want it back." I have a medical script see." He fumbles in his wallet. and finally produces a wrinkled card. He then accuses you of being the culprit who caused him to stumble and his bros sing out in unison that he is telling the truth. The Philipino security personnel stand watching until the deck officer and medical officer shows up with clipboards and forms. They look at the prescription form. The medical officer, the deck officer and the scurity personnel huddle. The officer hands the joint back to the thug. The officer takes your name and continues to prepare his report. The doctor asks if you are feeling any pain and you answer that you do not.

Meanwhile a chopper is landing on the ship and the thug is air evacuated to Miami, Florida. You ask why and the doctor responds he complained and we want to make sure he is okay. They don't want to be sued.

The next day after a miserable night filled with pain because you dislocated something you disembark. You go to the emergency ward of the local Miami hospital.
you miss your plane home and the airline wouldn't refund your ticket and your travel insurance wouldn't pay for air fare because the Miami police have a warrant out for you for assault. The thug's attorney also shows up and you find out the thug is suing you for damages to his client.

The local police and they are arrest you for assault - charges brought by thug who is very familiar with justice system. Since you are an out of state resident you have to post a bond or wind up with a handcuff on you in hospital bed. You find out from your Miami lawyer that the assault charge will be dropped; however, you have to get a payment to the lawyer.

Meanwhile, the thug is enjoying his stay in the hospital until he is thrown out for smoking not because he's smoking pot but because the hospital it is a no-smoke hospital.

Your lawyer finds out that the thug's prescription is from a Medicare ripoff doctor who is indicted for multimillion dollar false billing in Florida and fled to Puerto Rico.

Then you decide to sue the cruise line because they allowed this thug to be on board. You find out that the ship is chartered in Panama you will have to use a Panamanian court and appear in this court. When the case comes to trial the security people cannot be located and the ship's officers have been transferred to other ships.

Because of the pain from the fall, and you are now bankrupt, you qualify for medicinal marijuana under the national health plan. No more cruising for you.

Yes and all because you tried peaceful resolution.
You have just, very accurately, described an interaction with a drunk passenger that was smoking a cigarette!

Now if that passenger had been smoking a joint the situation would have likely been resolved peacefully. MJ does not make you aggressive or belligerent like alcohol.
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 593
Default Yeah. Mellow pot users don't cause problems

We often see campaigns designed to heighten our awareness of the dangers of alcohol-impaired drivers. However, there is an equally dangerous driver: the drugged driver. These drivers crash, and those crashes may not only result in injuries, but deaths.

According to a survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one in eight nighttime weekend drivers test positive for illegal drugs. More alarming – one in three drivers with known test results who were killed in accidents tested positive for an illegal drug. Young people are also at risk. According to another study by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, one in eight high school seniors admit to smoking marijuana before driving.

The research is clear – driving high slows reaction time, impacts judgment, and all too often leads to deadly consequences. So when people drive high, they don’t just pose a threat to themselves, but to others with whom they share the road.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 203
Default

I didn't think you could drive under the influence while on a cruise.

I don't think anybody is sugesting we make driving while impaired by anything legal.

When my dad died he had not used pot for a good long while.
I bet he still tested "posative" becasue of the way the canboids are detected. They remain detectable in some cases more than 60 days after the usage has stopped. I assure you, he wasnt high the whole time.

So I have to ask what the illegal substance was tested in these cases and how were the tests taken. If it is the standard pot test, that will not detect under the unfluence but rather the smoking of in the past. I like to scrutinize details that are handed out

I personally think we should crucify anyone texting, talking on the cell phone, or is under the influence (while driving) to the freeway sound wall as an example. This all still has nothing to do ith pot o a cruise.

Cruise ships traveling internationally cannot allow banned substances on board.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post

Cruise ships traveling internationally cannot allow banned substances on board.
Law on the high-seas is tricky. I don't know of any port where marijuana could legally be boarded, save California. Similarly, I don't think any of the common registrant nations specifically prohibit it in maritime law. But, no cruise line permits it as a matter of regulation, regardless. Also, the United States claims special arrest rights if it deems you intend to import any federally-illegal drug into its territory (at direct opposition to California state law -- man up, states rights activists!), so some U.S. ports could be an issue if you don't smoke it up.

Of course, realistically, nobody will know.

If you manage to sneak it on and are in open waters, it is just a ship rule at that point, no different from saving pool chairs with a towel. On the open seas you are literally outside the arm of the law. And the captain may choose to enforce the rule as loosely or harshly as he sees fit.
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greeneville, Tennessee
Posts: 4,524
Default

Every conceivable angle of this topic has been discussed and debated which I guess is good.

But being one who has himself been guilty of beating more than one dead horse, isn't it time we move on? When even I get bored is really must be getting pretty stale.
__________________
Todd
_______________
NCL Epic 2012, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Reply With Quote
  #71 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Ron Ron is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,288
Default

Amen and Amen Todd-- the pot thingee is kinda of like the cigarette smokers and non smokers-- been beaten to death years ago but people still flog it!
The pot smokers will find a million reasons to bolster their position and the non-pot smokers will counter with same.

Does anyone have any real news about a cruise lately ??
Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 203
Default

Just in my sig line
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 100
Default Accused pot user trashes quarter of a million dollars worth of cop cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Every conceivable angle of this topic has been discussed and debated which I guess is good.

But being one who has himself been guilty of beating more than one dead horse, isn't it time we move on? When even I get bored is really must be getting pretty stale.
Yesterday, a person drove over a bunch of cop cars in Maine with a tractor? He was apparently angry about a marijuana possession charge. Now who is going to pay for the damage he caused? Is the reason for his activity is the law, temporary insanity, or just an anger management problem.

Law is the reason the US supposedly is a civilized society. Freedoom of speech is another reason. If you keep sweeping an issue under the rug because you are tired of beating a dead horse or cutting off a thread or moving the thread what are you doing - is this censorship? Yes the editor does have the bully pulpit - he or she can do what they want- but I thought that the reason for Chit Chat was discussion of subjects that didn't fit other categories. People who don't care for the thread can go off cruising, and leave problems behind. Right? Make sure you lock the doors before you leave.
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greeneville, Tennessee
Posts: 4,524
Default

devils'advocate,

Probably well overover 90 percent of the people on this Board know where I stand on this subject. I am against pot smoking, always have been and always shall be at least for recreational purposes. But I try my damndest to disagree without being disaqgreeable.

Nonetheless, I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind nor are they mine. The intention of my post was very simple. To my way of thinking, this subject has been debated with the use of the writer's justification for his/her belief from what at least appears to be every angle of which I can even think. If others wish to continue the thread then fine and dandy. It's jus that I personally can't think of another point regardless of whichever side of the fence one sits.

Hope you have a Cadillac of a weekend!

That's the only reason I wrote my post.
__________________
Todd
_______________
NCL Epic 2012, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Every conceivable angle of this topic has been discussed and debated which I guess is good.

But being one who has himself been guilty of beating more than one dead horse, isn't it time we move on? When even I get bored is really must be getting pretty stale.
Todd, as usual, you make a lot of sense.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I've heard this for years, but never understood this logic. I guess you could ALSO say that most drug addicts begin their additive habit with coca-cola, or a cigarette, chocolate, or breast milk for that matter.
You got it - chocolate is the root of all evil. But it tastes so good!
Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Cruznut2's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 6,287
Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Quote:
Yesterday, a person drove over a bunch of cop cars in Maine with a tractor?
He was apparently angry about a marijuana possession charge. Now who is going to pay for the damage he caused? Is the reason for his activity is the law, temporary insanity, or just an anger management problem.

Law is the reason the US supposedly is a civilized society. Freedoom of speech is another reason. If you keep sweeping an issue under the rug because you are tired of beating a dead horse or cutting off a thread or moving the thread what are you doing - is this censorship? Yes the editor does have the bully pulpit - he or she can do what they want- but I thought that the reason for Chit Chat was discussion of subjects that didn't fit other categories. People who don't care for the thread can go off cruising, and leave problems behind. Right? Make sure you lock the doors before you leave.
That would be Newport, Vermont

Laura
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain


Last edited by Cruznut2; August 13th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
devils'advocate,

Probably well overover 90 percent of the people on this Board know where I stand on this subject. I am against pot smoking, always have been and always shall be at least for recreational purposes. But I try my damndest to disagree without being disaqgreeable.

Nonetheless, I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind nor are they mine. The intention of my post was very simple. To my way of thinking, this subject has been debated with the use of the writer's justification for his/her belief from what at least appears to be every angle of which I can even think. If others wish to continue the thread then fine and dandy. It's jus that I personally can't think of another point regardless of whichever side of the fence one sits.

Hope you have a Cadillac of a weekend!

That's the only reason I wrote my post.
Hey Todd you need to cruise with us! Why do you think we need the balcony
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?


Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

I suggest a generic marijuana
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,508
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Hey Todd you need to cruise with us! Why do you think we need the balcony
Now that's a ticket I would pay for just to watch!! Todd, old school, law enforcement, sailing with a bunch of old hippies.

I can hear it now!! Henry, You have the right to remain silent........
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #81 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 203
Default

Thats a reality show I might actually turn on the TV for
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #82 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Now that's a ticket I would pay for just to watch!! Todd, old school, law enforcement, sailing with a bunch of old hippies.

I can hear it now!! Henry, You have the right to remain silent........
Not so much me but my cruise friends but you know what happens when they twist my arm
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?


Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default LuAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Now that's a ticket I would pay for just to watch!! Todd, old school, law enforcement, sailing with a bunch of old hippies.

I can hear it now!! Henry, You have the right to remain silent........

I am a retired Detective ,I will arrest you .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carnival, carribean, cruise, eastern, glory, lines, majestry, majesty, marijuana, pot, search, seas, smoke, smoking, splendor, weed

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non Smoking Ships funcruiser212 Carnival Cruise Lines 4 December 10th, 2008 11:49 AM
Smoking on Cruise ships Bamabeardog Chit - Chat for Cruisers 15 October 12th, 2008 08:17 AM
No smoking on certain Ships beachcomber Carnival Cruise Lines 7 March 27th, 2007 01:42 PM
Cigar Smoking on Cruise Ships Ken York CruiseMates Group Cruises 1 December 4th, 2004 04:56 PM
Cruise Pot JUSTOFFGRANDEUR14TH Ask CruiseMates Staff 21 August 7th, 2002 01:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1