Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Default 9/11

Tomorrow is the 11th.anniversary of the most horrific day on this planet .

I hope that we will all be spending at least part of the day remembering .

Every year I have as my avatar my picture from the last time I was in the WTC . However ,I am having problems with my scanner .I guess I should not have removed the picture after last year .

As I have stated several times I was scheduled to be there at 9AM that day but my meeting was cancelled a few days before .I would have arrived earlier to meet my friend Howard for breakfast . He unfortunately died there that day .
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Very glad you had cancelled your breakfast that day, but very sorry for the loss of your friend.

I had just returned from my honeymoon on September 3rd that year..from NYC. We were there enjoying shows on broadway. Originally we were going to be married on September 8th flying into NYC on September 10th, but due to a schedule conflict, had to back our wedding up two weeks.

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks Kelly
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am also glad that you were not there that day. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

I am also sorry for the families. It is so difficult to try and find another normal in your life, with your loss, but to have so much going on, including the fighting of who will pay, and what can be shown, it must make it much worse for them.

I will never forget, but will not watch the specials that I have seen before, but will spend time in prayer for all who have lost.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Admiral

I am so sorry Lakers Fan for your loss.

Back then I was in law enforcement for the State of New York and I wasn't in the city at the time of the attack, being in Albany. My son in law was a fireman who thank God had the day off. Everyone of his buddies who were working died as his truck was stationed in Red Hook Brooklyn and was one of the first responders to any problems at the Twin Towers. He attended funeral after funeral for weeks.

BTW, he was one of the firemen that appeared on the very first Saturday Night Live that was telecast following the tragedy.

We should all get on our knees tomorrow and pray for all who died.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Not only pray for those who died but for the family as well. My friends body was never recovered .
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Not only pray for those who died but for the family as well. My friends body was never recovered .
So sorry

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Admiral

My friend was a war hero and when he came back to NY became a NYC police officer .He was one of the most highly decorated officers in the history of the NYPD .
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Admiral

It was a sad day for all of us.

Lakers Fan, i'm sorry about your friend.

My wife's best friend was a Pentagon Employee. She woke up sick on 9-11 and did not go to work.
Ever since then she has not been the same. We see her pretty often these days because she also move to this area.
But yhat sad day took a lot out of her.

Tomorrow we will pray and remember all the casualties.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was teaching 11 years ago today. It was decided that considering the age of the kids, we would not tell them what was going on, althought you could see the teachers with tears in their eyes all day.

A TV was sat up in the library, and during the day the teachers would take time to go and get caught up on what was going on.

Shortly after the second tower was hit, we were told that Fort Hood had been warned of possible attack, so we were in complete lock down. No one without ID allowed in and no one allowed to leave, unless they were the parents of a student.

It was the first time in my kids were in different schools. My first thought was of course my babies, but I knew if I took care of the kids at my school, teachers at their school would take care of them.

For anyone reading this, and who likes NFL football, one of my students that day was Robert Griffin III.

One of our teachers had to try and get in touch with her father. His desk was in front of the hole at the Pentagon. His group had been moved that day, because the rooms where the plane went in were being painted.

My school day ended around 7:00 that night, only after all of the students had been picked up. No one was allowed to walk, and several of us had volenteered to spend the night if needed.

I didn't know anyone who had died, but it effected me just the same. For the first time, I no longer felt safe in my own country.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Admiral

I may have lived far away up in Canada, but this day affected us too. I remember seeing the horror unfold on the news just before leaving for work that day. At the daycare we had a tv on in the office all day for updates. Nobody could believe what was happening, and I can remember being fearful of hearing airplanes passing overhead for weeks, and suspicious of people on my regular communter train.
This day changed life as we knew it for an awful lot of people.
Sympathies go out to those who lost loved ones that day..

donna
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

It does not seem to have happened 10 years ago today. I was very down when I first heard of the news. Helen and I were in Guadlahara (sp), Mexico. We came down stairs in the Hotel we were in to have breakfast. There were several TV in the room and the news came. I could not eat any food at the time. We got on our bus to continue sight seeing. As we were in the Province building the President or what ever capacity he was came to our group and expressed deep sorry for what was happening.

We continued on the bus and I had to stand up and ask everyone to take a moment of silence and prayed for the the terrible loss that occurred.

We then wondered if we would have trouble getting back into the States. Turned out there was no problem.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Never forget.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I am so sorry Lakers Fan for your loss.

Back then I was in law enforcement for the State of New York and I wasn't in the city at the time of the attack, being in Albany. My son in law was a fireman who thank God had the day off. Everyone of his buddies who were working died as his truck was stationed in Red Hook Brooklyn and was one of the first responders to any problems at the Twin Towers. He attended funeral after funeral for weeks.

BTW, he was one of the firemen that appeared on the very first Saturday Night Live that was telecast following the tragedy.

We should all get on our knees tomorrow and pray for all who died.
That is horrible, I'm so sorry for the brave and innocent men, women and childern that died that day. Here is a list to the people that died this day in 2012. News12.com

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Admiral

About James Amato

This profile was originally published in 2001/2002
Deborah Amato always used to wonder why her husband was such a stickler for attending wakes and funerals and fundraisers for the widows and children of fallen city Fire Department members. That was before she became a widow herself, before the Sept. 11 attack that claimed Squad No. 1 Capt. James Amato of Lake Ronkonkoma, before the funeral service that drew more than 1,000 mourners from firehouses as far away as Florida and California.
"I look at it in a different view, that's for sure," she said as she rested upstairs in a house full of visitors. "He always just went. Now I look at it, it was a commitment, a brotherhood at the firehouse. He was very passionate about his job."
Amato, 43, an Oakdale native who attended Connetquot High School, always talked about life at his Park Slope firehouse, and couldn't wait to get back from family vacations so that he could return to the "place where he felt tranquil," his wife said. But at home, he was a pushover for his children: Sean, 21, Tara, 14, Katherine, 13, and Ashley, 8, spending every moment he could with them.
As Jehovah's Witnesses, Amato and his wife also dedicated many hours on days off to preaching their faith, and church members rallied around the family after 9/11.
Deborah Amato was sorting the mail Sept. 11 when someone phoned to say a plane had struck the trade center. She didn't think he'd be involved because he worked in a different borough. As evening fell, though, after a day spent trying to get through to the firehouse, "I knew something was wrong, because he hadn't called me." -- Elizabeth Moore

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Admiral

About Joseph Angelini Jr.

Joseph John Angelini Jr., 38, of Lindenhurst, was a New York City firefighter with Ladder 4 in midtown Manhattan. He died in the south tower. His remains were recovered on March 12, 2002. His father, Joseph John Angelini Sr., 63, of Lindenhurst, who was the senior member of Manhattan's Rescue Co. 1 and also perished that day.
Donna Angelini said what kept her alive after her husband and father-in-law were killed were her three children, Jennifer, Jacqueline and Joseph John III, who were 7, 5 and 3 at the time. Almost 10 years later, she still can't believe the men are gone.
"Every once in a while I still go back to that place and think they are all being held someplace," she said. "I want my husband home. I want the father of my children home."
She said she had been proud to call Angelini Sr. "father." As for her husband: "He was everything, my husband was."
Joseph John Angelini Jr. was proud to follow in the footsteps of his father, who was the oldest active firefighter in the department. But his family came first.
"We were his life and then there was the fire department," she said. "He couldn't wait to get off the train." He was happiest when she and the kids would pick him up at the station, Donna Angelini said, and he would pepper them with questions all the way home about their day.
When he was home he spent his time gardening, walking the kids to the library or baking homemade pizza or focaccia - "anything that could be done with the family," she said.
"We lost the heart," she said. "When he walked in the door, anything wrong seemed so senseless. The kids' eyes would always light up. They don't have that anymore. That's what's so hard." - Ridgely Ochs

About Joseph Angelini Sr.

Joseph John Angelini Sr., 63, of Lindenhurst, was the senior member of Manhattan's Rescue Co. 1 who perished on Sept. 11, 2001. His son, Joseph John Angelini Jr., 38, of Lindenhurst, who was a New York City firefighter with Ladder 4 in midtown Manhattan, also died that day. His remains were recovered on March 12, 2002.
Donna Angelini said what kept her alive after her husband and father-in-law were killed were her three children, Jennifer, Jacqueline and Joseph John III, who were 7, 5 and 3 at the time. Almost 10 years later, she still can't believe the men are gone.
"Every once in a while I still go back to that place and think they are all being held someplace," she said. "I want my husband home. I want the father of my children home."
She said she had been proud to call Angelini Sr. "father." As for her husband: "He was everything, my husband was."
Joseph John Angelini Jr. was proud to follow in the footsteps of his father, who was the oldest active firefighter in the department. But his family came first.
"We were his life and then there was the fire department," she said. "He couldn't wait to get off the train." He was happiest when she and the kids would pick him up at the station, Donna Angelini said, and he would pepper them with questions all the way home about their day.
When he was home he spent his time gardening, walking the kids to the library or baking homemade pizza or focaccia - "anything that could be done with the family," she said.
"We lost the heart," she said. "When he walked in the door, anything wrong seemed so senseless. The kids' eyes would always light up. They don't have that anymore. That's what's so hard." - Ridgely Ochs

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Admiral

On September 11th, my husband, Rob, was working in Washington on a government proposal; he witnessed the Pentagon being hit by an airplane. This has left an "indelible mark" not only on him, but the rest of the people that witnessed this horrific act of terror. May those that lost their lives on September 11th, never be forgotten.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Correction to my original post. I meant to say that I was working in Albany during the first attack but not the second by which time I had retired.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean