Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Default Useless Open Debates

As a reader of these forums I'm finding that the Open Debates make want me to permanently leave the site. I come for cruise info not for political discussions .
Why do non- US residents ( also maybe some US residents) need to put with the rants of some posters about political items ?
Today I checked for new posts or threads and of the 44 new ones 14 where political rants by the same person.

If some find my comments offensive , I am sorry . As a Canadian I'm not interested in your politics.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess

Last edited by Kamloops Cruiser; October 14th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Admiral

I'm looking for the threads you speak of but I'm not seeing them, where are they?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I'm looking for the threads you speak of but I'm not seeing them, where are they?
Click on the New Posts and a list comes up with New Posts since your last
visit . Then just scroll thru the list.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well, the good news is the US election will be done in just a few weeks.

But, the same things could be said of the Chit Chat message board. It's a message board folder (just like Open Debate) that is mostly off topic posts that have nothing to do with cruising.

The answer to both, of course, like any posted topic, cruising or not, is if the topic is of no interest, you simply skip on past them.

Yes, they can be a distraction, but you do have the ultimate control to bypass posts that don't interest you. I'd hope anyone wanting to discuss a cruise topic would simply post it, because I actually don't think the Open Debate folder prevents people from getting responses to their cruise topic questions or discussions.

BTW....Unregistered visitors to the site don't even see the Open Debate message board.
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Just edited my original post to clarify some ambiguity.

Ships Sailed:

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops Cruiser View Post

Why do non- US residents ( also maybe some US residents) need to put with the rants of some posters about political items ?
Are you saying that if you're not american you have no right to speak for American's women's rights? how about if you're not a Pakistani women, you shouldn't be speaking for the right for a education? we should just keep quiet? blink! Seriously??
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Are you saying that if you're not american you have no right to speak for American's women's rights? how about if you're not a Pakistani women, you shouldn't be speaking for the right for a education? we should just keep quiet? blink! Seriously??
No one was suggesting that anyone doesn't have any right to speak up about anything. That's quite a stretch you projected.

The comment was their opinion of the entire Open Debate message board folder, not about anyone's right to do anything.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
No one was suggesting that anyone doesn't have any right to speak up about anything. That's quite a stretch you projected.

The comment was their opinion of the entire Open Debate message board folder, not about anyone's right to do anything.
Hmmm no, they specifically said why does a non-american need to rant. Go through the treads and tell me how many non-americans you can find? Don't tell me it's a stretch.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Do you just try to turn this thread about not liking political debates into a political debate. I do see the OPs point a lot of political discussions are completely useless. So we debate about American's women's rights and I bring up good points and you bring up good points. Is anything I say at all going to change your opinion? Must likely not so it's just a lot of pointless arguing. I'm Portuguese so pointless arguing is kind of a hobby. But my hubby is the opposite.

If you have the right to be involved in a pointless political debate then the OP has a right to have to post about not liking them. To be honest you guys are both lucky to be able to view anything on this site right now, Every time I click on I end up trapped on page 708 and can't get to back page one. So I have to take Kamloops Cruiser's word about this new threads because I can only see the most recently posted thread. It's so annoying. I hope they get it fixed soon.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hmmm no, they specifically said why does a non-american need to rant. Go through the treads and tell me how many non-americans you can find? Don't tell me it's a stretch.
NOPE.. not what they said. Reread it!

Quote:
It didn't say anything about you being able to rant as much as you want about anything.

They objected to people ranting about politics, instead of ranting about ship dress codes, ship smoking rules, kids onboard, etc
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
As a reader of these forums I'm finding that the Open Debates make want me to permanently leave the site. I come for cruise info not for political discussions .
Today I checked for new posts or threads and of the 44 new ones 14 where political rants by the same person.

If some find my comments offensive , I am sorry . As a Canadian I'm not interested in your politics.
As a Canadian friend, I would think that you would be very interested in what is happening at the southern border of the country.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Well stated Kat!!

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
NOPE.. not what they said. Reread it!

It's been edited
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk View Post
As a Canadian friend, I would think that you would be very interested in what is happening at the southern border of the country.
That would be an entirely personal choice.. as to level of interest in politics, or even if they have an interest, no interest in the political discussions on message boards.

There's plenty of Americans, who actually have the right to vote and participate in the decisions, who have no interest in discussing politics.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Admiral

But to ignore it is akin to the United States ignoring its southern border and illegals coming in and partaking of the country's resources while here illegally. And don't get me started about the criminal element of the illegals here. Wait... it already is happening.

Old October 14th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Admiral

No, it's akin to telling Americans they should all be following the politics in Mexico.

it's amazing folks are trying to take a thread complaining that they don't like political discssions, to discuss politics.

We SPECIFICALLY don't allow political discussions in ANY folder other than the OPEN DEBATE folder.

You want to discuss border issues or other politics take it there!
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
It's been edited
Yes it has: To fix a very small grammatical error (added the word "for") and remove "rhetoric" from the end of the second sentence.

I can see both versions and neither support your claim.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Captain

quote Mehawk "As a Canadian friend, I would think that you would be very interested in what is happening at the southern border of the country."

Mehawk> (Without Googling) name 5 political leaders in Canada and their functions...

You can walk down the street and find MANY in Canada that can do this about the USA, but try the reverse with any street in this country. You will be doing it for a year before you find ONE person who can answer.

(oops sorry... getting political)

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Click on the New Posts and a list comes up with New Posts since your last
visit . Then just scroll thru the list.
Thanks, I did see them. I never knew the new post was even there!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
. I'm Portuguese so pointless arguing is kind of a hobby. But my hubby is the opposite.

We do like to argue. But we do it in a friendly manner.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:

It is a separate section and no one forces you to look at the messages. I started out participating but tired of it and I just ignore it!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Like any other forum here, you can choose to read/post or ignore them if no interest to you...There are a few that I just don't have an interest in, so I skip them, very easy.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
quote Mehawk "As a Canadian friend, I would think that you would be very interested in what is happening at the southern border of the country."

Mehawk> (Without Googling) name 5 political leaders in Canada and their functions...

You can walk down the street and find MANY in Canada that can do this about the USA, but try the reverse with any street in this country. You will be doing it for a year before you find ONE person who can answer.

(oops sorry... getting political)
Remembering my political sciences in junior high, in Pasadena, Texas in the 1960s, the Queen herself is at the top, she has someone under her to run the country government, a Governor I believe, there is a Prime Minister, Parliment of course broken into parliment members and senators, then a supreme court. Their functions would be similar to their counterparts in the United States. Their names, yep, I could not name any of them.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk View Post
But to ignore it is akin to the United States ignoring its southern border and illegals coming in and partaking of the country's resources while here illegally. And don't get me started about the criminal element of the illegals here. Wait... it already is happening.
I don't pay attention to Canadian politics. So I don't blame them for not caring about ours. They can't change anything we do anyway so what's the point?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
We do like to argue. But we do it in a friendly manner.

TM
It's more debate the argue. We like the challenge of making the other side see our point. It never gets personal and always stays friendly.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I don't pay attention to Canadian politics. So I don't blame them for not caring about ours. They can't change anything we do anyway so what's the point?
Actually many Canadians care about US politics. With USA being the largest trading partner of of Canadian we are affected quite badly.
Your housing market failure forced many of our lumber companies to look for other markets overseas instead of the USA.

The general saying is " If the US sneezes , We (Canada ) gets the Flu".

Ships Sailed:

Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Like any other forum here, you can choose to read/post or ignore them if no interest to you...There are a few that I just don't have an interest in, so I skip them, very easy.
I don't read them. When you go to a cruise discussion site, one does not expect so many threads titled Open Debate. Between these and other site problems, this site is becoming one with few participants.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
I don't read them. When you go to a cruise discussion site, one does not expect so many threads titled Open Debate. Between these and other site problems, this site is becoming one with few participants.
It does seem that the number of posters have decreased.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Admiral

Yes, I can't imagine why Chit-Chat is becoming moribund, when there are scintillating strings such as this one.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Yes, I can't imagine why Chit-Chat is becoming moribund, when there are scintillating strings such as this one.
Oh goody a new word for me.
Moribund; being in the state of dying : approaching death.
Hey since all life ends in death does that mean everyone is becoming moribund?
I was just wondering. The site was having major issues I bet the dropped posters more the scintillating strings. Because everything I write is pure gold. Even my typos are works of art. I once wrote CPA instead of CPR my hubby ask me why I thought an accountant would save someone's life. But the favorite Typo I ever saw was someone going to get a bowel of cereal. I got the scariest picture in my brain. I had a typo induced nightmare involving fruit loops I wasn't pretty.

Remember 80% of everything I say is a joke and 20% is a lie. The fun part for the poster is telling the difference.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994