Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default NYC Marathon Cancelled

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I am glad CS prevailed.

Annie
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

As I said in the other thread on the Marathon, I do believe they've made the right decision.

However, I honestly don't like the terminology "finally".

The storm took place Monday night, and even now I don't think they understand the total picture of the devastation, the ramifications, and what's its going to take to make the areas hit by the storm whole again.

In the cahos immediately following some decided it would be a good idea to help give NY a lift, by continuing with the scheduled marathon.

In the midst of that cahos they made the wrong decision. As they have seen more of the picture of what this crisis is going to call for, they've admitted their error, and cancelled.... which was the right decision.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, they did make the right decision...As much as the extra income would help the city, they are just not ready for the people that live there, let alone all the added people. When the time is right, they can re-schedule it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Admiral

The fact that it was ever a consideration to hold the marathon at all, is ridiculous. And not for one minute do I believe they didn't know about the immediate destruction, to the outer boroughs which in itself, is horrendous, and yet when reports of just how bad the complete destruction was, the mayor continued to to "run" with it...and yes...finally!

Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Captain

But are they going to deploy the marathon-related assets to the stricken areas???
(Tons of food, bottled water, police services, first-aid stations and personnel, and sanitation teams designated for the marathon)

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
Admiral

That would really be another mistep, if they didn't distribute what they have in plain site of people suffering. I watched the news tonight,and some places were jacking up hotel prices, some to 90%, and some were evicting vivtims from the hotel rooms, earlier in the day before the cancellation, so the runners could utilize the reservations they had made.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Familiar Face

I think they made the right decision, and a wise one at that. Considering the amount of devastation the area has faced, and will continue to face in the days, weeks, and months ahead, now is hardly the time for a marathon. It can either be re-scheduled, or simply cancelled and wait until next year.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Admiral

The people of the Gulf States coastlines have been hit with storms often in their lifetimes. We do feel the pain and dispair of our friends in the northeast and I do agree that the assets should be put to use to help the downtrodden right now.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Admiral

They generated a lot of negative publicity when they announced the marathon would go on. I do feel sorry for the runners who had prepared for this - many of the slots are filled by lottery so you don't just sign up and go. However, their loss can't be measured against those who lost homes and are protecting their remaining business assets.

I often wonder about economic impact numbers. I don't think they take into account opportunity costs. How many people avoid spending that would have otherwise. For example, I did not eat out the week we hosted the Super Bowl because we expected every place to be crawling with people (or so we were told.)

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014