Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old July 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Smile Who are you ?

I thought since I am on this board again after a few years I would like to find out about other mates Here is my info and please add yourself if you like !

I am 52, native German, married for 31 years , 3 daughters and 6 grands. Love any kind of traveling, fishing, scrabble and sci fi.

I am a licensed and ordained Pastor <Christian> and we have our own Ministry called "Abandoned Heart ministry". I have also traveled as a missionary to Honduras, Kenya, Haiti.

Right now we are living in New England again after a 11 year stay in SWFL.

Your turn if you like!

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Sue, I'm surprised to hear you have 6 grands now, I remember the first one!
I'm still waiting for my first one, although my husband has a granddaughter from his son from his first marriage. (not blood related to me, but she's my grand anyway)
I've been around CruiseMates since I think, 2000, and at the time was a lifelong Montrealer. We are now living in rural Nova Scotia, Canada and absolutely love it here. We still love cruising, but financially can't afford it right now or in the foreseeable future. I just hang around here because I have so many friends on this board!

donna
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Hi Sue,

I'm 65, married and have 2 daughters and 1 grandson. Have lived in the Ottawa, Ontario area for most on my life. Retired from the federal government in 2006 and only started cruising in 2007. My wife and I fell in love with it and now have well over 100 nights cruising. Our cruises have taken us all over the Caribbean, to Alaska, Hawaii, Panama Canal, Bermuda and the Mediterranean. Love cruising but also enjoy most other travel and have been coast to coast in Canada; traveled extensively in the U.S. and somewhat less in the UK and Europe. Working on our 'bucket list' while our health remains good.

-------------
Keith.

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I was born in the wagon of a travelling show. My momma had to dance for the money they'd throw. Grandpa would do whatever he could.................

I'm Mike and I've been around here for about 14 years.

My wife, Betty and I are retired. She voluntarily and me involuntarily. We love to travel and enjoy our kids and grandkids. We have two VERY adult kids and two grandkids.

We just booked a condo in Puerto Vallarta for the month of January to enjoy some fun and sun and to get to know the place. We are in the process of figuring out where we want to live when we grow up.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Admiral

I wanna be like Mike.

Booked: Veendam - Montreal to Boston July 28, 2018
and Norwegian Bliss March 02, 2019

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:39 AM
Admiral

Hi Sue, nice to meet you.

Alan & Katrina here, aged 51 & <50, and live on the south coast of the UK - less than 8 miles from central Southampton and the cruise ships/liners although last year we did buy an apartment much closer on the river in preparation for retirement someday

We have been CM members for 9 years now - yikes where did that time go? and our image is from the bridge wing of the QE2

We both love travelling & getting off the tourist routes to meet 'real' people & experience their cultures, I have been lucky enough to work all over Europe, as well as Chicago, San Diego and Delray/Boca in FL
Finally as you can see from our signature below, we'll grab any chance to get on a ship & travel

History:
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Royal, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(3), Britannia, Oceana(4), Oriana(13), Ventura(3), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(8), QE, Caronia(2)
Oceania Nautica, Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade(2), =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey, CMV Magellan, MSC Magnifica, MV Emanuel, Viking River
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Hey Sue,
I'm Robin from IL. I'm soon to be 51 and will be married for 30 years this September, we have a 18 year old son starting college .

My family likes to travel although they won't cruise so I cruise with my two dearest friends.

My screen name aerogirl has to do with me being a Aerosmith groupie
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Gosh I dont know where to start. Anyway here goes.

Attended LSU and Louisiana Tech.

Was married to Helen for 69 years. She passed in 2011.

Join the US Army Air Corps Nov 1942 Retired US Air Force Nov 1966.
Stationed in States, Panama Canal Zone, Okinawa, Phillipines, Guam, Japan
and Vietnam. Had family with me all stations except Nam.

Did a bunch of traveling making visits to 142 Nations.

Did a few Cruises. 94 as of now and hope to have over 100 before I pass out. I do not wish to cruise by myself and am looking for a companion. Any bites?

Have lived in Florida since 1962 and don't wish to live anywhere else.

Nuff said so let it be.
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I wanna be like Mike.
I don't think you would. The travel is fun but the rest of the "stuff" isn't.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I think I wanna be Ray.....94 years.....94 cruises.

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=rayb;1504482]Gosh I dont know where to start. Anyway here goes.

Attended LSU and Louisiana Tech.

Did a few Cruises. 94 as of now and hope to have over 100 before I pass out. I do not wish to cruise by myself and am looking for a companion. Any bites?

Where are you planning to go Ray?

Old July 21st, 2014, 06:44 PM
Admiral

I am Chuck Palm. I am a retired school teacher after 37 years in the classroom and am married to my partner David. We formerly lived in Washington state, just north of Portland, Oregon.

David was a hair dresser for 32 years. We have lived together for 30 plus years and became married in the state of Washington on June 30th of this year due to recent law changes. Yahoo!

We now live in Patzcuaro, Michoacan, Mexico. And we are on vacation in this beautiful colonial town built in 1500s and 1600s most every day of the year, only to be interupted by the occasional cruise or land cruise.

We have two dogs: Olive is two and is a small rat terrier and Knockknock. a 14 year old miniature dachshund.We also have a three year old black and white cat that adopted us at six weeks of age.

We have been on more than 35 cruises each and have one planned in late fall on the Grand Princess.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I don't think you would. The travel is fun but the rest of the "stuff" isn't.

Take care,
Mike
Don't be so sure about that.... I am presently VERY glad just to be alive.

Booked: Veendam - Montreal to Boston July 28, 2018
and Norwegian Bliss March 02, 2019

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default make a correction and add some.

i Made a slight mistake in my profile. I said 94 cruises I have been on --well that is not correct. I checked my records and lo and behold I have completed 97 cruises. Hope thats not bragging but it is the truth.

Also would like to add a bit. I fathered 6 children 5 now living and produced 18 grands and presently have 16 great grands. dats it.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

Hi, we've been members for 12 years, however with only a little over 100 posts we don't get on much. We are Keith and Rita from Southern Indiana. I'm 67 and Rita is 65. She retired from the Sheriff's Dept in 2007 and I still work in our family manufacturing business. We graduated from the same high school two years apart, but did not meet until later in life at a single's dance. She was recently divorced and I was a widower. I have three grown daughters and 8 grand kids and two step-grand kids. Rita has a son who lives in Orlando and 1 granddaughter. Our meeting was the beginning of my second life! The year we married we took our first cruise and have taken at least one every year since. We are now up to 27 cruises, with number 28 booked for Sept and 29 and 30 booked as a B2B for New Year and the week after. We are reformed bar room dances who took up ballroom dancing over 10 years ago. It's become our second passion as we belong to three dance clubs!

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Admiral

I'm Thomas and not afraid of the dark. When beer comes within my reach it's history. There are two things that distinguish me as a genius; 1) never tell every thing you know.....................

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Admiral

I'm Marc, 56, and have been with Cruisemates since 2000. My wife, Arlene, and I have been on a lot fewer cruises than Ray but feel lucky that we have cruised when we can. We have cruised all seven continents in the last 12 years. No kids; allergic; besides they cost money. My favorite pastimes are eating and drinking, which really work well with cruising. Alas, I an still working so cruising is constrained by time.

BTW, after almost two years without a cruise, we leave Thursday!!

Marc

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Default for Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
BTW, after almost two years without a cruise, we leave Thursday!!
Hope you haven't forgotten how to
Have a fantastic cruise.

Alan & Katrina

History:
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Royal, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(3), Britannia, Oceana(4), Oriana(13), Ventura(3), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(8), QE, Caronia(2)
Oceania Nautica, Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade(2), =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey, CMV Magellan, MSC Magnifica, MV Emanuel, Viking River
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:12 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Don't be so sure about that.... I am presently VERY glad just to be alive.

Once again a very sick video from this member!!!! Do you really think this is funny? A man in a mobility scooter falling down an elevator shaft? Wow
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi I'm Maureen.. and I am married 34 yrs to my husband Robert.. We have 3 wonderful kids aged 30, 20 and 15. We grew up in Toronto but now live in Summerside, Prince Edward Island (PEI, Canada).. and love it here..

We dreamed of cruising for over 10 yrs and finally took the plunge in April 2012 on the Carnival Imagination.. since then we've been hooked and have been on the Sensation, Valor, Dream and soon the Breeze.. Made one huge mistake when we took the NCL Dawn last fall.. never again.. (horrible food on NCL.. yuck!).. We're looking forward to our Gold status this coming Oct when we sail the Breeze.. yippie.. lol..

Huge congrats to Chuck and David after 30 years to finally be able to wed.. that is awesome.. my 20 yr old son is gay and in a very committed loving relationship for almost 3 yrs now...we can see a wedding in his future.. and love his partner like he were our own son..

I can be quite spirited at times, and do speak my mind quite loudly and openly.. hope no one takes offence to that here..
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hi MosieGirl and the rest of you...

I am always happy to hear there are new cruisers getting hooked out there. I am the main editor here at CruiseMates and write most of the news articles you see on the front page.

I took my first cruise in 1983 on a little line called Royal Viking Line, worked on the ships for almost a year. Then I went back and worked on cruise ships again in 1993 for NCL (the Norway) and Holland America.

In about 1996 I started cruising as a guest and sometimes journalist. Since then I have added some many cruises that I have literally lost count (never occurred to me to count them all, being onboard a ship just feels more like a lifestyle to me than a vacation, that happens when you have worked on them).

I still love travel, but I have to say the flying part of it has really gotten to me lately. My last trip it took me 12 hours just to get from my home in Phoenix to my hotel in Galveston - a travesty (the airline's fault). But I do still love to cruise.
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Oh I forgot to mentioned I am going on my 10th cruise next year June Alaska. Cruised with Disney , RC and Princess. From what I am leaning toward is more trips to see things and not the so called "beach" cruises. Next year besides Alaska I am heading to Ireland and England as well. In 2 weeks I am heading to Germany to visit my family which we usually do once a year. My dream trip is Galapagos and China..someday! lol

Old August 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip signing in....being here since Cruisemates was born, has given me a wonderful close up eye on cruising..a true blessing! Some health issues have prevented us from cruising for 2 years, but hopefully we can get back to enjoying our passion. I am retired and Bruce is still working as a printer, and we live outside of Boston.

Getting to know this cruise community, with reviews, complaints, and opinions has been fun, all along the way.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Hi, I'm the most time lurker some time verse write who has been here almost as long as Trip. I count all of you as friends and have cruise with some of but not enough of you guys. Peggy and I have been married for 54 years and have been on 31 cruises. I can't remember my age, but it was in the early part of last century.
Old August 13th, 2014, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

HI!
I am Laura originally from the Boston area. Lived most of my life in NH until I decided to move to Florida and thaw out. I love it here.
I have been here at Cruise Mates since 2004.
I am still cruising and I would love to cruise as many as Ray but I have a long way to go to match his record.
Welcome back to Cruise Mates.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain