Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default My experience on the Concordia

Here's a recount of my personal experience on the Costa Concordia on the night it went down. This is from a PM I sent to someone on this forum a week or two ago, so the language is more 1:1 style, but it should have most of the 'meat' in it.

I decided to wait a while before posting it ( explanation in first paragraph - which I guess is now out of date ), but I think enough time has now passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_via_Previously_Sent_PM
My experience was actually quite tame compared to most. I've shared it with people at work, and on local media here at home, but I think it might be a little insensitive to post publicly them on a forum, likely to be visited by families and friends of people who died on that ship.

I think I was actually in denial for quite a while. It was actually my first time on a cruise ( even though I've had ambitions about working on one for the best part of 8 years, my career grew faster than expected in a different direction ), so I didn't realise at first when the ship listed, that this was so problematic. I saw the boarding of lifeboats as a routine precaution. After all how likely was it for there to be a serious issue on the one ship that I happened to be on.

Even on the island, I thought for many hours that they'd get whatever supposed electrical fault they were having fixed, and that we'd be back on our way. I was back in the Hotel in Rome, when ( given the length of time it took the ship to list considerably ) I was shocked to find out that people actually died.

Essentially I think a mixture of ignorance, and denial helped me keep calm. I kept a cool analytical head when I got to the muster station, and looked around for the shortest queue, joined it and got on to the first wave of lifeboats.

At this point I think Costa first of all has a lot of questions to answer, most of them beginning with the word "Why". After all these whys are answered, Costa need to see how to ensure that in future where applicable, these questions have different answers, firstly so that this never happens again, and secondly, if something like this does happen again, that no lives are lost.

Last edited by Arion; January 30th, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Highlight source of 'Quote'
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Quote:
Essentially I think a mixture of ignorance, and denial helped me keep calm. I kept a cool analytical head when I got to the muster station, and looked around for the shortest queue, joined it and got on to the first on to the first wave of lifeboats.

This says alot,and thankfully you got off unscathed....wishing you all the best as time goes on.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Here's a recount of my personal experience on the Costa Concordia on the night it went down. This is from a PM I sent to someone on this forum a week or two ago, so the language is more 1:1 style, but it should have most of the 'meat' in it.

I decided to wait a while before posting it ( explanation in first paragraph - which I guess is now out of date ), but I think enough time has now passed.
Interesting. I think too that your 'ignorance' kept you calm. I used to volunteer in disaster services for many years, even up to Mass Care Coordinator for the local RC. The execution following a disaster plan before, during and after a disaster we called 'organized confusion'.

It seems confusing and messy but if you follow your plan you do have, though not visible, somewhat of an organized execution.

The disaster plan on the Concordia was just not executed very well. Your 'ignorance and denial' put the organization into the confusion. You should think of volunteering for disasters in your area. You have uncanny ability to seek the best course of action. Anybody with just ignorance and denial would just stand there and watch. Subconsciously you went a step ahead. I think you are more of a cool head and solution seeker in adverse situations.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing your story

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014