Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Familiar Face

Default What is the food like onboard...for staff??

I wanted to ask what the staff eating facilities and food is typically like on a cruise ship? Does it tend to be very limited, same things every day, and what is the quality like.

Also is there a difference depending on rank as to whats available and where you can eat?
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

For most people working onboard, the food is probably much better than it normally is at home.

On the other hand, one easily get tired of the food in the mess rooms and the closer you are to your vacation, the more often you'll eat ashore whenever you can.
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to cfwright6

It is tolerable. I worked on Carnival Spirit, Conquest, and Pride and didn't like the staff food. Whenever i could i would go up to lido and eat which after a while isn't much better. Supper club is delicious, and i would do that once in a while after approval. The staff dining is like a little buffet section and you can also order of the menu - which usually had 3-5 items.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:16 AM
Familiar Face

It tends to vary by Cruise company & by rank.

For example on Princess if you were allowed to eat in the officers mess it was pretty good. You could order from the passenger menu with the exception of certain items, or you could eat from the buffet trays if you were in a hurry. The crew mess however was buffet trays only so not always the best!

On Regent even for the officers, its all buffet tray food & to be honest is not all that great - although all the other perks of working here far out weigh the downside of the food...

Its a question of balancing up the pro's & con's of whichever company you decide to work for at the end of the day!
Good luck :-)
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Passenger

Hi worked on Fascination, Paradise, Ecstasy, Pride and Glory.

I always found the food fine.

There was always something ok on the buffet trays... some sort of meat, some sort of casserole...etc...
but then there was a full salad buffet, bread..fruit

or you can order from the menu, omletes, chicken breat for your salad...
or you can get burgers and fries etc...

i had no problems with it...

Officers Mess food was not all that better either, pretty much the same as the staff mess, but they tended to order from the menu

x
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Familiar Face

Hi

I worked on RCCL and the ship I was on had 2 messes, one for crew and one for officers and staff but everyone was allowed in both. The food was pretty limited though and very repetitive. If you are quite fussy you might struggle and after a few months you definitely look forward to eating in the ports you visit!

Every night in the officer mess there was salad, steak, chicken, dhal, mashed potato, rice, fish and a couple of other options that changed every day, the crew mess had the same plus food from the Philippines etc. It certainly wasn't the standard of the food passengers got in the dining room

Depending on your rank you can also visit some of the restaurants that are open for passengers and that can add some variety.

Good luck!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As most have said - it depends on your job title and what ship you are on.

Many jobs give you access to passenger food for all meals - except in the buffet - not in the dining room.

The food on any cruise ship will get repetitive after a few months no matter what ship you are on - although if you are lucky enough to work on a luxury ship you will get some very special meals once in awhile.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

In NCL the food in the staff mess and officers mess were pretty much the same.

People allowed in the officers mess (Officers, Pursers, Hotel management etc) had in addition the possibility to order from the pax menu. My experience was that the officers most of the time ate what was offered, while the pursers and hotel folks ordered from the menu. Why it was like this I don't know
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Admiral

I am told that due to the ethnic nature of P&O staff they used to have more than one staff kitchen but now there is usually just one preparing meals for all. Most staff appear to be Indian & Phillipino.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the SS Norway we had our own "Norwegian Mess" because of the large amount of norwegians onboard. The food served there were normal norwegian dishes, cheeses etch we were used to from Norway
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I worked on the Norway in 1993 - for three months only
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Beginner

Smile really good crew food

I've worked on the POA for a year and I have to say that the crew mess food is usually very good. Of course there will be hit or miss times but in general I felt very well fed and if I didn't like the current days menu I could always eat off the ship.