Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:54 PM
dfwguy62-Rick

Default Room Service vs Dining Room

Taking a solo cruise on the Royal Caribbean Brilliance in October. I'm not much for group dining with strangers, although I promise I'll give it a try. However, on the realistic chance I may prefer to do room service a lot, how is this dealt with regarding the dinner table seating assignment that I also have for each night? Can I freely choose each night which method I may want to dine with? Do you need to give them advance notice so they don't expect you in the dining room? etc. etc. etc. Any comments appreciated. First time cruiser here.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
JaneMarlow

Default Re: Room Service vs Dining Room

On the nights you order room service, just ring the desk and let them know you will not be dining in the dining room. Then they won't wait for you before they take orders.
Old October 14th, 2004, 03:27 PM
JaneMarlow

Dining with strangers is not so horrid. We had fun. Half the time my husband and I sat alone, the other half we dined with others. It was fine.
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Yeoman

i worried about dining with stangers also. i live a pretty sheltered life as far as getting out and rubbing elbows so to speak with more social persons than myself. but i went to the dining room every night and loved it. my table mates where so friendly and nice. and carnival sat me with other singles. but if you want to do room service im sure you will have a wonderful meal. how about going to the lido deck or other more casual food area too eat at night. you can set by yourself and people watch. have a great time.

Old December 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've been on a Princess cruise and a Norwegian cruise solo and I'm shocked to hear that I should have 'rang the desk' if I was not going to the dining room for dinner. I have never been in a dining room for dinner as I am not one to dine with strangers.

I've got the 8:30 seating coming up on a RoyalCaribbean cruise in a few weeks and again it was my intention not to go! I thought I'd eat a light breakfast, a bigger meal at noon in the dining room and then salad bar at the buffet at night.

Kris
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:14 PM
DENISE HINTZE

on our last cruise we state with eight people we didn't know we end up having the best
time and made a new friend try it what do you have to loose
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Passenger

Nothing starts a cruise in the day like hot coffee delivered to your room. Turning on the TV to see the ships bridge webcam (interior cabin), and laying in bed. Now thats a vacation for me.
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Gary D.

That is the beauty of cruising. You can do what you want, when you want. The expected time in the dining room is very exact, so if your not there, they will usually start without you. Showing up more than 15 min after the dining room opens can throw the sevice off considerably for everyone.
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM
weaver1

There has been some great strides in medication for people who have difficulty with strangers and crowds. Those new anti-anxiety meds are great. My sister in-law eloped because she wanted to avoid the wedding crowd. Don't worry about cruising. Get a supply of those pills. If pharmaceuticals is not your style, I highly recommend a couple of martinis.
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

As Gary D. said, you can do what you want. It's your vacation, if you choose to order room service or maybe try one of the specialty restaurants you can, no worries. My husband did NOT want to eat with strangers, wereas I will talk to anyone, but on our last cruise he had a really good time. Two of our table mates were from Germany, didn't really speak much english and the other two were from England. We have a great time with all of them. When we booked our next cruise they asked us if we wanted a small intimate table or a large table and he said LARGE! Go figure, whatever you decide to do for dinner will be fine and you are about to experience the BEST vacation you've ever had... just my opinion. Have a great time.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:05 PM
gunner22a

Ask to sit at a large table, one for 8 or more. You will have a better chance of hitting it off with at least one person in the group. The alternate to that is to ask for a table for two and you might just get it to yourself. Either way don't lock yourself up every night. Get out and enjoy the dining room experience. You won't be disappointed!
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Food in general and number of choices is MUCH better in the dine room. Please do try it. And if you get a really bad mix (all couples or 90 y/o) at yr table go to the matre D and asked to be switched to a table, preferably 8 or 10 with some singles.