Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Brenda Wear

Default special diets

We are cruising in April on the Carnival Miracle with my son who is severely allergic to milk products. So far I've gotten conflicting messages about how they deal with special diets. Our vacation planner assured us they could meet our needs (pre-booking) but their customer service people just keep telling me to talk to our head water when we board the ship. By that time it is too late -- I need to feed this child 3 meals a day for 7 days -- I don't want to hear after we board that they are uncooperative. If anyone has had any experience with Carnival I'd appreciate any input -- before it's too late to get my deposit back!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mohinnigold

I needed a Low Sodium diet. So my travel agent made sure they knew that and when I got on the ship they had a chef that would cook the things I requested low sodium. I think how it worked was, you do have that set up by the travel agent and then you talk to the head waiter whenever you're there.
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Beginner

Brenda,

We were on the Carnival Miracle in Jan. I canot eat meat, dairy products or eggs. I had the travel agent notify Carnival ahead of time and I went to see the head waiter after we boarded. I have been on 11 cruise on five different lines so I have some experience with this.

The head waiter did confirm I was in the computer system with special diet needs. So far so good. However we were stuck with a waiter that did not speak English well and I had diffculty trying to tell him my food concerns. They have a dining room hostess (like a head waiter) and she was to coordinate things for me but she did not do well either. After the second day I asked at the Pursers desk to see the Maitre'd but he never would see me.

I did get out of the Dining room hostess that most things on the ship are bought premade and heated to serve. Salad dressing all had dairy in them (must get the 55 gal drum size for the week!) I ask for no dairy dressing to be made but this had only limited success. I had them make Indian food for me and most of it was good. Buffett was a bit of hit or miss as it was hard to tell what was in some of the items. They do have veggie sushi starting at 4-5 PM on deck 2 for a couple of hours The pizza guy will make a non dairy pizza. They do have veggie burgers and fries.

You will be okay but I wouldn't say the ability of Carnival management on this ship when we were there to make adjustments is not great. Perhap if they have a change of chef or Maitre'd you will be okay. I do remember out assist waiter saying they won the Carnival "eagle" award for the best ship in the fleet, (you will see in the atrium) and the management was very harsh on the crew trying to win this award. He couldn't wait to finish his contract and move on to another ship!
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Admiral

you need to have your TA call Special Services, this is the department that handles the special request of passengers. You may need a note from your doctor, sometimes they ask for it sometimes they don't. You also do need to tell your senior waiter at dinner the first night, and its a good idea to remind him, they are very good at remembering what your wants and needs are but its still a good idea to remind him.
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Brenda, I'm going on the Glory April 15th and I talked to Carnival about my wife's food alergies and they told me to call the special needs person pryer to boarding and fill out a form and send it in. Then once I get on the ship I have to see the perser to make a appointment to talk to the special needs perser and they will take care of you as far as how to cook your food. OK hope I was helpful enjoy your cruise. Bill