Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to pack......Crystal Alaska Aug.

We haven't received our Crystal cruise packet but I am already starting to think of what to pack. How cold will it be in Alaska early August....do I need my snorkel jacket and wool socks etc.? Formal, Casual and informal.........12 days.....Fall type clothing? I have some St. John outfits , some with the rhinstones and some city business ..most pants and Jackets..........would they be appropriate? They are great to pack.!!!!!!!! Do I need gowns and jewels for the Formal nights? :>)! It would be wonderful to have a web site with a Cruise Dresser!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone up to that challenge? It could be fun and interesting. Everyone could send in what they have and a knowledgeable Cruise Person could guide them etc. I have been on many cruises and still can't get myself all together! I always pack tooooooooooo much and not always the right things. Daytime clothes are easy but even then on Crystal I am not sure jeans, sneakers and a sweatshirt will be acceptable & how many sweatshirts can you really pack.........I overheard a lady in a department store one day tell the salesperson that she and her husband had a whole room in their house organized just for their cruise clothing.........according to which ship. itinerary and season they were traveling. I remember thinking .........Wow........can you imagine etc. Not such a bad idea as I am plowing through my closet finding size A, B, C..etc. What about luggage? What size, Type and how many pieces each person. How much can you fit and how to pack? 12 Days at sea! This will be an attire & packing challenge! I'm excited and enjoying the anticipation of our upcoming adventure to Alaska on the Crystal Harmony. MJ
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What to pack......Crystal Alaska Aug.

Hi MJ,
I think the key word for packing for an Alaska cruise is "layers", from everything I've read. I too will be cruising to Alaska in Aug. on Celebrity Infinity, can't wait. I did dig up a great article that explains what to pack for this type of cruise, sure gave me some ideas, enjoy:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ka/Packing.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What to pack......Crystal Alaska Aug.

Hi, MJ ...

"Cruise Dresser", hmm? Don't give me any ideas ...

And, yes, I have a "cruise closet". It's just not very organized.

My theory on daytime Alaska dressing is two words: Lands' End

2-3 pairs of khaki-type pants, 2-3pairs of shorts, turtlenecks, polos. I wear the polos OVER the turtlenecks under a cardigan sweater. If it gets warm, you can nip into the ladies' and ditch the T-neck. You can use the ship's laundry rather than packing a different outfit for each day.

You don't pack sweatshirts, you buy them. Best place is "SOS" in Skagway. Just walk down the street ("the" is almost the operative word) and it will be on your right.

Along with the sweater, take a hooded anorak, a cheap plastic poncho and an umbrella. You will also want to go to the ski store and buy "glitter gloves" to keep your fingers warm in case it really gets nippy. With them, you can still adjust your binocs, snap the camera, etc.

I'd say forget the gown idea, my Alaska experience is that ladies dress a little more casually. The St. Johns sound fine. Black silk pants are the workhorse of my cruise wardrobe, with different tops appropriate to the destination and season. Pack the pashamina shawl in case it gets chilly.

Since you have been on many cruises, you know that you will see anything and everything. Just try to hit a happy medium and you will be fine.

There are some packing hints on the website for the upcoming Let's Get Lei'd cruise <http://pages.prodigy.net/fourcatcan/leid.htm> just substitute the Alaska clothes for the Hawaii clothes !!!

Your luggage will be more limited by the airline -- if you're flying -- than anything else.
Let us know if we can help more. Now, I'm going to go build that website !!!