Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Passenger

Default Help-Duct Tape "Uplifting"{sorry guys}

I know this might sound kinda dumb on my part{ok it is dumb}-but I keep hearing about Duct used to support youself when wearing a topless outfit. How do you do use it. I tried and failed I just wound up w/red marks on me and feeling a little stickey.

We have been on about 6 or 7 crusies and never thought to bring duct tape, but for our next cruise I think I might-if only to keep the closet doors open when the weather starts geting rough. Also if I can figure out how to use it as support.

Thanks
JC
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Help-Duct Tape "Uplifting"{sorry guys}

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard it works pretty good. Now it's just finding the right way to use it! Good Luck!!!
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Admiral

i know that they use it in pageants, but i don't know the trick. I have a strapless, backless, underwire long bustier that works great.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I haven't used the duct tape but I did use the self stick cup type things. I bought mine at Lady Grace. You can buy them by the cup size. $8 for 5 pair. I didn't do any dancing but went to dinner and the show. They worked fine and peeled off without any pain or irritation.

Darcy
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

LMAO! First off - I hope you mean a STRAPPLESS outfit rather than a TOPLESS one
The duct tape trick is VERY uncomfortable (at least how I was taught to do it) You have to put a strip of tape longwise with one end under your breast, bring it up your nipple and then stick it to your chest right above your breast (sorry again guys!) Then some people put a strip of tape to hold the tape on at the top.
It actually does stick, but its itchy and I couldnt stand it for even half the night.
I am looking into the sticky cup things for more comfort.

Good luck!

Carey

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, Carey... you answered one of my questions that I hadn't asked yet... are you a woman or a man? I've responded to several of your posts and I had wondered. I thought you were a woman... but now I KNOW. ROTFLMAO

My mom and I had a good laugh today when I told her I was bringing duct tape on our cruise in July... to use as a bra on formal night! I can't imagine taking it off.... [shudder]
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Help-Duct Tape "Uplifting"{sorry guys}

MaineCruiser - thanks for all the info on Portland you have provided in the past, its helped a great deal. Now I know you are woman also.
The things we women have to go through...and the guys complain about getting dressed up! Hmph, they have it easy!

I wasn't going to mention the taking off part, BUT it is not pleasant. Using a bit of vaseline makes it easier

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:05 PM
jamiegunter

Some dress shops sell the double sticky tape, I know that Cashe
sells it if you have one in your mall. Look for upscale shops that
sell alot of formal gowns. It keeps you and your dress in place.
I personally havent tried it, because I am a little to busty for tape
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
First Mate

You can also buy that tape online at http://www.hollywoodfashiontape.com.
I think I'll order some - it has to be better than duct tape!!
Maybe it will even come with instructions

Old May 16th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Patdor

Hi

Would you mind giving me a definition of "ROTFLMAO"
I am probably the only one on this thread who does not know what that means.

Thanks in advance
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM
SLS

Rolled On The Floor Laughing My A-- Off
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Patdor

Thanks SLS. Love the definition. And now I know what it means.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Demolition Man

hey, ladies, us guys really don't care if you ask about "uplifting", but only if you include pictures

have a great day!
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Paula Di Bernardo

Default Re: Re: Re: Help-Duct Tape "Uplifting"{sorry guys}

nope. you weren't the only one not to know what it meant. a quick google gave the meaning..

glad you asked though

Paula
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Help-Duct Tape "Uplifting"{sorry guys}

I bought the Hollywood Fashion tape at a clothing store ($6.95). Haven't tried it yet but I'm skeptical it would work as a bra replacement. The box contains 36 strips (not a continuous roll) that are 1/2" x 3" long and they suggest using them to keep lowcut blouses from exposing you, closing gaps between blouse buttons, holding up strapless tops, adhere body jewels, emergency hem fixes, etc. No mention of trying to hold breasts up! I'm hoping it works for blouse gaps and keeping my sandals on while I dance. Check their website www.hollywoodfashiontape.com

Out of curiosity, I tried using duct tape but couldn't do it without creating an unnatural shape. I would just stick with a strapless bra, as uncomfortable as they tend to be. It beats me why dress makers can't include some kind of support inside the dress itself. Maybe expensive dresses do. Would make life much easier. At least at Victoria Secret, they sell alot of summer tops with built-in bras so I can wear tank tops without a separate bra and worry about the straps. By the way, Victoria Secret swimsuits are very well made, sizes are pretty true (especially if the top is by bra size) and not too expensive.

Post Edited (06-09-04 19:41)

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 13th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Your Name

Haven't tried the duct tape thing, but you could put bandaids over your nipples so you won't have to rip them off with duct tape!! !
Old June 14th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Admiral

eyeowie! no thanks, i will stay with my strapless, backless, underwire, corset. It makes me stand up straight and the "girls" are very well supported.
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Dyxiegirl

My sister and I tried the duct tape trip when we were teenagers and were too busty at 15. You can't be bigger than a B to do it, and then, why?

The best strapless underwire bra that I have ever found was at a store in Los Angeles called Trashy Lingerie. They have the trashy stuff, but they also make some exquisite stuff. (for instance, they made all of Joan Collins lingerie for that evening soap she was on in the '80's.) They have off-the-rack stuff, but they also will custom make a longline strapless bra for you. The key to a good strapless staying up is that it goes down to your waist and sits on your hips. I'm so tall that I could never find one that would stay up. They custom fit one for me, and it was an experience I will never forget (15 years ago!) They take measurements I had never even thought of taking, and I sew! It was pretty strange having the distance between your breasts measured, but the corset (no other word for it) was/is amazing and not only stayed up, but was comfortable! All the breast weight is transfered to your hips, and nothing moves! I just checked out their website and it looks like Frederick's of Hollywood, but at least 15 years ago it was really good quality. If you ever get to the LA area, you should check them out. Good luck.
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Victorias Secret has some very nice strapless bras that really 'stay in place'. Some of them are the demi style bra with padding that "push and uplift". Sounds a lot easier and more comfortable than duct tape!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:35 PM
First Mate

From a man's perspective, we'll be happy with a nice low cut dress, you don't have to tape those babies up for us !! Besides, take a piece of duct tape, stick it on your arm and leave it there for a few hours in the heat, now rip it off..... how do you think that's going to feel when you pull it off your "assets" ??!! OUCH !!!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
happyks

The double sticky tape is to keep low cut clothing taped to your body, so nothing accidentaly falls out. It is not intended to lift and hold the girls. DH and I owned a barber shop for years and had a stylist who specialized in toupee work. The tape you use for hairpieces works great for "clothes that can gape". It came in different sizes and shapes.

I wish clothing manufacturers would sew a bra into place for backless gowns. They do it for swimsuits, right? I guess it would drive the cost up a bit. I remember reading a star (memory fading for the name) who talked about the gowns movie stars wear. She stated a lot of the gowns had built in corsets. I know they are in great shape, but that sure would help a lot of us, right? No wonder they look great so soon after childbirth!
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM
RA

Clear Packing Tape comes off MUCH easier than duct tape. It is a bit harder to "apply" but it stays on fine.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Passenger

II discovered these self adhesive bras several years ago at Fredrick's of Hollywood and they are great. And I wear a 36D. on the fuller side. I was amazed the first time I used them and my DH could not stop laughing the first time I put then on. Now I would not leave on a cruise without them. Better then duct tape, although duct tape works

SELF ADHESIVE CRESCENTS
Disposable crescents can be customized to fit any neckline. Securely lift and hold your breasts. Three pairs per package. Rayon. USA.

ALSO AVAILABLE IN SIZE DD
Self Adhesive Crescents - DD Cups
$7.00
Special: $6.00

http://www.fredericks.com/ located under accessories
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:16 PM
TMarie1114

This is a pageant trick and yes, you can "tape" if you are larger than a b-cup. I am double D and use duct tape all the time. You just use a little extra tape.

It is easier to do with assistance, one holds and one tapes. (Guys, get your heads out of the gutter. lol) It works better than any bra. Just a warning...It isn't very comfortable for longer periods of time and it hurts when removing.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SarahVic Send a message via MSN to SarahVic

I have never heard of a woman using duct tape on her breasts, and I must say - OUCH!! It hurts just to imagine it. I've had 3 babies, 2 without any pain medicine, and I can't see torturing myself that way.
The things women go through.....! Owwwwiie.

Smile! It just feels good.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Passenger

I have so blown through all the responses and I have to say that I would not put "Duct/Duck Tape" on my breast. If you sag to the point that you need tape, then you need a bra. Skip the tape and get a bra that is a " strapless etc... I mean they have them--- buy them.
I think that it's all about "eventual comfort". If I think about my comfort then it would be
" free as the wind" but if I think of style then it would be a bra that works with the dress.

I swear I'm only lazy when there's sand!
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:17 PM
BrooklynTherapist

In my life, I would NEVER put duct tape on my chest. Aside from the obvious (strapless bras), take a look at the new silicone bras. They are strapless and backless. They conform to your breast and just sit there until removed (with NO pain, I might add).

naturalbra.com

OR

fredericks.com

Natural Bra uses an adhesive; Frederick's bras are self adhesive.

Duct tape was never meant to be used in place of a bra. Next thing you know we'll be waxing instead of using razors! Why are we so cruel to ourselves?
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:01 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I have to put my 2 cents in here regarding the "Natural Bra". Don't bother. Bought a couple for my daughter for Christmas and the adhesive didn't stick. (I know...odd gift for a mom to give her daughter...lol..but she asked for them) .

It took many phone calls, emails, and finally a report to the Better Business Bureau, but I finally got my money back. Maybe another brand might work, but don't waste your money on "Natural Bra".

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to newaddiction Send a message via MSN to newaddiction

my problem is that I'm a DDD and last I heard those silicone cups from Fredericks didn't fit anything above a simple D cup.

I have a strapless bra (2 actually) and neither of them will work with a backless dress (or even a keyhole back dress).

Duct tape seems to be my only option. I tried it once and screwed it up royally. Of course, I had no clue what I was doing. I'll try it again before the cruise to see if I can get it right.

If not, I'm going to look into Trashy Lingerie and visit them before I hop on the ship (departing from Long Beach) or I'm going to email Freddie's and ask them what they suggest.

Sometimes I wonder if I should even wear a bra, they are so damn heavy and sag so low that no one can tell the difference anyway. And I'm only 27 - heaven knows what it's going to be like at 40. A bra is simply for my benefit so the ladies won't hurt from hanging out all day.

All I know is that when I lose the weight, I'm getting a laser bra.

Ecstasy - Ensenada 11/2003 & 2/2003
Spirit - Alaska 9/2003
Pride - Riviera 9/2004
Paradise - Baja 1/2006
Old August 7th, 2004, 04:26 PM
slinkiecat

Sure enjoyed this thread, for some reason. I wouldn't try duct tape myself, but I have one of the strapless bras with adhesive on the sides (replaceable strips) that didn't work well except with a tight spandex tank top. I got it at Cache a couple of years ago. Since I gave the tank to my daughter I haven't needed the strapless, backless bra since.

Slinkie

10/04 Carnival Fascination (Nassau)
1/05 HAL MS Prinsendam (World Cruise)