Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Jen13070
Default What to pack for Antarctica cruise?

HI there...I'm booked on the Royal Princess for the Antarctic cruise out of Cape Town to Santiago, Chile 12/17/04. I hear that the first few days are really warm..then after that, it's freezing. If anyone has any suggestions on what to truly pack on this 24 day voyage, I would greatly appreciate any advice. Many thanks! Jen
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

Default Re: What to pack for Antarctica cruise?

My mother took a couple of cruises to the Antacrctic over a decade ago. I've got pictures of her wearing a parka, gloves and a knit cap on the continent itself. I presume that she was layered under that.

One thing I would STRONGLY recommend is sun block, the higher the SPF factor the better. Regardless of the media reports of the ozone layer supposedly healing itself, the excitement isn't quite over yet. The hole is still there and grows in the southern Hemisphere Summer, which is when you are planning to go South. Seven minutes without strong sunblock is enough to do PERMANENT skin damage under the ozone hole.
Old October 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What to pack for Antarctica cruise?

Thank you for that sound advice. I'm a huge fan of SPF 45. I never leave the house here in California without it...Rest assured that sunblock is first on the list! Thanks again! Jen
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jen... packing for this trip means extra layers. You'll want a pair or two of shorts for the first and last couple of days, but mostly you'll wear long pants and long sleeves. We were in Usiaua (sp?) during their mid-summer and it had snowed the day before! Because we live in the NE I happened to have a polar fleece jacket, gloves and a hat that I wore there and I sure needed these. It's COLD on the veranda when at sea or viewing the glaciers. You'll want warm socks and sneakers/shoes (NOT sandals). A couple of days reminded me of our late October... cords and sweater weather. If you're used to warmer climates it will seem even colder for you. We were very surprised at how cold it was... we didn't investigate it well at all. Of course, there are plenty of sweatshirts and warm things to buy in port and on the ship.

Stacy
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I use to work for this company, Quark Expeditions who do Artic & Antarctica trips aboard Russian icebreakers. (No stabilizers though).

They have a good website & it lists clothes to bring & such. Enjoy!!

www.quarkexpeditions.com
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What to pack for Antarctica cruise?

Hi there.....thank you for all of your great advice. I will definitely pack my swimsuit along with polar fleece! haha! You're right...I think it's going to be all about layering...

The website www.quarkexpeditions.com is extremely helpful! That must've been some company to work for! Lucky you!

Thanks again!

Jen