Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
hydro-terp

Default Securing hardside luggage for flight

Now that the TSA people and baggage handlers have a license to steal, meaning you arent supposed to lock your luggage, I was wandering what the people with hardside luggage do to get some sort or resemblance to security when they check hardside luggage.

I have been leaving them unlocked and using packing tape around the case and over the latches. My reasoning being the tape prevents the latches from poping open and spilling all my stuff all of the place and to determine if my bag has been opened. I know if the TSA goes through your stuff they are supposed to put a card in there to let you know but Im more concerned with the baggage handlers.
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Securing hardside luggage for flight

use the new TSA approved locks
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:37 PM
hydro-terp

Um Im talking about the hard side luggage that doesnt have a way to use padlock type locks. It has latches that lock.
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:05 PM
MSR

since we can no longer lock the samsonites, we use duct tape, with the combination printed on the tape, just below the old combination lock on the hard samsonites. this prevents the bags from getting locked inadvertently. Yes, when the bags are opened, a printed tsa notice appears inside the bag. We put an exterior strap around the case. lthese have been coming thru okay. but, rule remains, put nothing of value in the checked luggage only in the carry-on or in your briefcase....it also helps to travel with cheesy mass market luggage with lots of scuffs and scrapes--no one wants to take that stuff!...... we finally bought big softsides just so we could lock some of our better stuff, but if thieves really want your stuff, they will take it!l it sure isn't like the old days!!