Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Default Kids Dinner Attire-What to wear?

We will be cruising on the Elation from Galveston in April. We have two boys ages 3 & 6. What is the appropriate dinner attire for kids on non-formal nights? Can they wear dress shorts (not denim) and a button down shirt or do they have to wear slacks? I would appreciate any information! Thanks!

Fantasy May 1992
Fascination April 1995
Conquest September 2005
Elation April 2006
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

For kids that young I think that attire sounds fine.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Admiral

hmmmm, that is a really great question. Technically the dress code states no shorts in the dining room during dinner hours. I really don't see a problem with nice shorts, a nice shirt and nice sandals or casual shoes for kids that young. What i would do to be on the safe side is to pack a pair or two of cargo or dockers type pants for your little guys, once aboard i would seek out the Maitre D and ask him if it would be proper for your guys to wear dress shorts/with a nice shirt on casual nights. We have done this in the past if we weren't sure of an outfit, the Maitre D is very appreciative of things like that. He will most likely tell you that the shorts will be just fine.
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Passenger

The dress code for the dining room at dinner is no shorts, and that is for children also.

I made all mine wear long pants last year. It also helps them start to learn there are certain codes of dress (and conduct) in different places, and they are required to go along, if they want to be included.

Just like here locally, we take them out to eat. If we are going to the local Mexican joint, shorts are fine. But if we are planning a fine dining experience on the Plaza, we will require them to dress accordingly.
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Travel2,

We will be cruising on the Elation from Galveston in April. We have two boys ages 3 & 6. What is the appropriate dinner attire for kids on non-formal nights? Can they wear dress shorts (not denim) and a button down shirt or do they have to wear slacks? I would appreciate any information! Thanks!

Children should conform to the prescribed standard of dress, regardless of age. Most tuxedo rental shops do rent tuxedos in their sizes (very popular for ring bearers and junior ushers in weddings) and would put together a "cruise package" for your boys to wear the formal nights. They would look dandy in matching outfits! On the casual evenings, they should wear slacks (not bluejeans) and shirts with collars, just like adults. They most assuredly are not too young to learn that certain attire is not appropriate in certain places.

If your children are not accustomed to dining out, you might want to consider taking your children to restaurants a few times before your cruise so they understand how restaurants work. Start with something simple, like Denny's, Perkins, or Big Boy and progress through casual dining (Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, etc.) to a fancier establishment near your home. That way, you'll go on the cruise with confidence that your boys know how to behave and what to expect in the ship's dining room.

Norm.
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

For Formal nite (Monarch of Sea--4-day) what would be appropriate for a 5YO boy? Would just nice slacks, white shirt and tie be ok--I know it's not a tux but frankly he'd have it destroyed!
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM
Admiral

I saw a little boy dressed like that except he had a little jacket as well. It should be fine

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
Admiral

karessamom,

For Formal nite (Monarch of Sea--4-day) what would be appropriate for a 5YO boy? Would just nice slacks, white shirt and tie be ok--I know it's not a tux but frankly he'd have it destroyed!

Fitting him to a tux should be no problem. The tuxedo shops all carry tuxedos in his size because they rent them to ring bearers, etc., for weddings. They would gladly put together a "cruise package" for him.

When you get aboard ship, check at the children's center to see what sort of attire they expect after dinner on the formal evenings. IIRC, the young children have a slumber party after 10:00 PM, and they obviously don't wear tuxes for that. Thus, I'm guessing that the youngsters "dress down" after they eat.

Norm.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Admiral

karessamom- for your 5 year old boy- add a jacket and dress shoes - and you will be fine. You can find suit coats cheaply at your local thrift stores, consignment shop, check out JC Penney and your local discount department stores, some have jackets now for Easter.
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I just bought son a dark blue suite at Walmart for about $35--They have all their Easter stuff out--suites and fancy dresses for kids! Now is the time to buy if you need to!
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Admiral

karessamom,

I just bought son a dark blue suite at Walmart for about $35--They have all their Easter stuff out--suites and fancy dresses for kids! Now is the time to buy if you need to!

While walking through Wal*Mart last night, I noticed a rack of very fancy "Easter" dresses for young girls, all priced under $20, that would be very suitable for formal evenings.

Norm.
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Default Kids dinner attire-What to wear?

After buying my son new dress shoes for every cruise that he would only wear once because he is growing so fast, I opted to buy him Black Nike sneakers for which he also gets plenty of wear following the cruise.
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Admiral

I know it's not up to Norm's "standards", (sorry Norm! ) but on our third cruise we saw two little boys dressed in sailor suits (dark blue shorts, white knee socks, clean white tennis shoes, and a white sailor top with a blue "scarf" type tie. (This was on a formal night.)

I thought they were just adorable!

I'm sure this wouldn't work with older boys who know what they want, but these little ones were so cute!

Just another suggestion!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Beginner

I cruise with another couple and we both have daughters who are now 8-years-old. It took us until the second cruise together to realize that EVERYONE has a better time when we feed the kids first and send them off to the kids program while the adults enjoy their dinner. The kids would rather have some kid friendly food and be in the kids club than have us asking them to sit quietly while we have dinner and drinks with friends. It may sound mean, but believe me, if you ask the kids what they would rather do, they will probably tell you that they would prefer to sing songs, play games and run around than sit at the dinner table trying to act like little gentlemen
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Admiral

hrcroddick1,

I cruise with another couple and we both have daughters who are now 8-years-old. It took us until the second cruise together to realize that EVERYONE has a better time when we feed the kids first and send them off to the kids program while the adults enjoy their dinner. The kids would rather have some kid friendly food and be in the kids club than have us asking them to sit quietly while we have dinner and drinks with friends. It may sound mean, but believe me, if you ask the kids what they would rather do, they will probably tell you that they would prefer to sing songs, play games and run around than sit at the dinner table trying to act like little gentlemen

Perhaps, but the other side of this coin is that experience of sitting at the dinner table and acting like little gentlemen (or ladies) is a wonderful learning experience for all youngsters.

FWIW, I'm also aware of couples who bring the children to dinner in the dining room but have the waiter bring the children their meal served with the early courses of the adult meal, then take their children up to the children's program between courses of the adult meal. This seems to offer the best of both worlds.

Norm.