Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to xc4life Send a message via Yahoo to xc4life
Default "Formal" night on NCL?

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for what to pack in terms of formal night clothes on NCL? I'm going on the Dawn 6/17/06, and I figure its about time to think about shopping (of course, anytime is a time to think about shopping )

I've got a few full length formals already, along with the obligatory black cocktail dresses...but from what I've heard, the formals wouldn't be appropriate.

If anyone has any advice or pictures of what they wore for formal night, they'd be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

exactly how formal are your formal dresses? I don't have any first-hand experience with NCL, but i also have heard that since formal nights are optional that folks don't get as dressed to the nines like they would on other mainstream lines. You can never go wrong with the basic little black cocktail dress. You might get a better answer if you post on the NCL board.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Beginner

Jeans and t-shirt will do fine on NCL on formal nights
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Beginner

I'm a big fan of NCL and their dress code. The formal nights are optional, but you can never be too dressy. There are folks dressed to the nines, like the couple we cruise with and there are those who are cruising to relax and don't want to have to dress formally, like my husband My advice is to dress in what you feel good in and don't worry about other people dressing down that evening.

We sat at a blackjack table, after dinner and a show on formal night, with a gentleman who looked quite dapper in his black tux and another who looked just as handsome in his Tommy Bahama shirt and Dockers. Neither looked out of place, and quite honestly, no one cared what anyone was wearing

Enjoy your cruise!
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Beginner

Hello! We've cruised on Carnival two times and the obligatory little black dress was perfect. Long formals seem to be too formal. Only one or two were seen, and while they were lovely, they seemed out of place.

Enjoy your trip!

Ellen
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Beginner

Formal night is not really as formal as they make it sound. If you dont want to stand out i wouldnt reccomend black tie attire. Its more of a semi-formal thing. When i went to on my 1st cruise i saw this gorgeous floor length (prom dress-like) but the sales person felt that i would be overdressed she was RIGHT. Overall i saw may be one tuxedo and lots of cocktail dresses or pant suits. One night i had a 40s inspired cocktail dress (a little glittery and with the fringe at the bottom) and then another formal night i a had a black mid-calf halter top dress (kinda like the popular white Marilyn Monroe dress) they werent in any way formal. i hope this helps...

ps
i'd still go shopping never an excuse not to