Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Default Packing Made Simple

Everybody,

The question of what to bring on a cruise keeps surfacing so it's time to put it where it's easy to find.

Here's my packing list for 14 nights aboard a Celebrity ship (3 formal evenings, 4 informal evenings, and 7 casual evenings) in a warm destination and an adaptation for ladies. Here are easy adaptations.

>> For seven-night cruises, cut everything in half, rounding fractions up. For cruises of other durations, adjust the quantities of "15" to one more than the number of nights of the cruise and the quantities of formal and informal clothing to correspond to the number of such evenings scheduled by the line.

>> For a cruise on a line that does not hold "informal" evenings, delete the items specific to "informal" evenings.

>> For a cruise to Alaska, add another sweatshirt and a winter jacket, hat, and gloves to each list.

>> For a cruise within Europe, reduce the shorts to one or two pairs for wear on days at sea. Also, for ladies, ensure that skirts for daytime wear extend below the knee and that tops for daytime wear (1) fully cover the shoulders and (2) are long enough to stay tucked into the waistbands of the skirts or slacks.

You also may want to modify my lists according to your own plans for activities, both aboard ship and ashore.

>> I did not include athletic clothing on the lists because i use the pool rather than the gym. If you plan to use the gym, you'll need to add suitable attire for your workouts.

>> I also did not include specialized clothing or equipment for activities ashore. If you are planning any hiking or diving trips, you'll need to add whatever you want to bring for those activities to the list. If you are planning to play golf, you'll want to bring your golf shoes even if you plan to rent clubs.

>> You may wish to replace my "bible and prayer book" with equivalent resources of your faith.

Okay, on to the list.

[b]GENTS[/i]

Wear to Ship:

* Polo or Golf Shirt
* Undershorts
* Pair of Slacks
* Belt
* Pair of Socks
* Pair of Dress Shoes (get polished at airport en route)

Pack:

* 15 Polo (or Golf) Shirts
* 15 Pairs of Undershorts
* 3 Pairs of Slacks
* 4 Pairs of "Dress" Shorts
* 15 Pairs of Socks
* 20-25 Handkerchiefs
* 1 Pair of Dress Shoes (Well Polished)
* 1 Pair of Moccasins (with Rubber Soles) or Sandals
* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops
* 2 "Hawai'ian" or "Island" Shirts
* 1 Waterproof Windbreaker
* 1 Sweater or Sweatshirt
* 2 Swimsuits
* 1 Baseball Cap, Sun Hat, or Visor
* 1 Sport Coat
* 4 Dress Shirts
* 4 Neckties
* 1 Dinner Jacket
* 1 Pair Formal Evening Pants
* 3 Formal Dress Shirts, Pleated, with French Cuffs
* 2 Cummerbunds with Matching Bow Ties
* 1 Formal Vest with Matching Bow Tie
* 2 Launtry Bags
* Toiletry Kit
* Electric Razor
* APS Camera and Film
* 16-Day Supply of Medicines
* Bible and Prayer Book
* Tickets (Cruise and Airline)
* Passport

LADIES

Wear to Ship:

* "Bra Top" or Leotard
* Panties
* Skirt or Pair of Slacks
* Stockings or Panty Hose, if Desired
* Pair of Pumps

Pack:

* 15 "Bra Tops" or Leotards
* 15 Pairs of Panties
* 3 Skirts or Pairs of Slacks
* 4 Pairs of Dress Shorts
* 20-25 Handkerchiefs
* 1 Pair of Evening Dress Shoes
* 1 Pair of Moccasins (with Rubber Soles) or Sandals
* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops
* 2 "Hawai'ian" or "Island" Dresses
* 1 Waterproof Windbreaker
* 1 Sweater or Sweatshirt
* 1 Sun Hat or Visor
* 2 Swimsuits with Wrap Cover-Ups
* 1 Evening Dress with 3 Sets of Accessories
* 3 Bras to Wear with Evening Dress, if Required
* 2 Cocktail Dresses with 4 Sets of Accessories (2 for each dress)
* 4 Bras to Wear with Cocktail Dress, if Required
* 2 Evening Handbags
* 1 Evening Shawl, in case the dining room or the showroom is chilly
* Stockings or Pantyhose for Eveningwear, as Desired
* 2 Launtry Bags
* 4 or 5 Sets of Casual Jewelry
* Toiletry Kit
* Cosmetics
* Electric Razor, if desired
* APS Camera and Film
* 16-Day Supply of Medicines
* Bible and Prayer Book
* Tickets (Cruise and Airline)
* Passport

The pumps would certainly be suitable for wear on casual evenings so you can save the evening dress shoes for the formal and informal evenings.

These lists actually provide one extra change of clothes in case of a mishap or a broken connection forcing an extra overnight stay en route home. My basic strategy is to shower at the end of the daytime activities, before dinner. On "casual" evenings, I'll don clean undershorts, a clean polo shirt, and slacks. The next morning, I'll don the same undershorts and shirt with a pair of shorts for the day's activiities. On the evenings of the tropical deck parties, I'll don a Hawai'ian shirt then don a clean polo shirt the next morning. Likewise, on "formal" and "informal" evenings , I'll wear the respective outfit and don a clean polo shirt the next morning. A similar regimen works for ladies.

Now, there is one additional trick. Choose clothes that won't wrinkle (or at least that won't hold wrinkles) and that will pack compactly. Here are a couple examples.

>> A "speedo" swimsuit (gents) or a "bikini" swimsuit with a triangle top (ladies) generally fold much more compactly than other styles of swimsuits. Nylon/lycra swimsuits also fold more compactly than other materials, and they have the additional advantage of drying quickly so two are enough.

>> Some styles of underwear fold a lot more compactly than others, and it really does not matter what style of underwear you choose because your spouse is the only passenger who will see you in it. For men, "Eurobriefs" or "fashion" bikinis generally take about half the space of standard American "tighty whities" or boxers. For women, bikini or thong styles generally fold more compactly than full panties. You choice of underwear also can lighten your luggage by several pounds.

>> Fold your clothes neatly. Back when I was a naval officer, a sailor once told men that the "only" thing that he learned in boot camp was to fold his clothes in "equal thirds" each way. Our sailors have very limited locker space aboard naval ships so I figured that there must be a "madness to the method" if they put that much emphasis on folding clothes "just so" in boot camp. Thus, I decided to try folding clothes into "equal thirds" (sides in first, then bottom, then top, starting witth the front of the garment down) for everything that does not have creases. Sure enough, the garments came out considerably more compactly than when folded in the manner that my mother had taught me to fold them.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Norm,
Hey, you knew I would reply to this! I confess, I've never been on Celebrity. Are their closets a LOT bigger than other cruise lines? I can't imagine trying to stuff all of that into either my luggage or the closets.

Just FYI, leotards are HOT! How about letting us ladies choose our own underwear?!?

I'll also concede your point that Celebrity requires formal wear. But, I will never agree that all cruise lines should follow that example. There is plenty of room for all types.

Also, there's a lot of non-clothing items that I pack and to maximize the helpfulness of your list, I think that that should be mentioned. The list of other stuff is elsewhere on this board, for those who are interested.
Marty
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Hi Norm,

Great list for those who don't want to send out or do their own laundry! We'd take half, even on a longer cruise!

Quote:
* 20-25 Handkerchiefs
I'm afraid you're showing your age ! Most people I know aren't even familiar with handkerchiefs! I wonder when they went "out of style"?

The only time I've worn a leotard (unless you're defining it differently) was in dance class more years ago than I'd like to remember!

I do agree with your packing method. I've tried all the "new" methods, and for me just packing "small" works the best.

Quote:
A "speedo" swimsuit (gents) or a "bikini" swimsuit with a triangle top (ladies)
Are you saying you wear a speedo I wouldn't be caught dead in a bikini no matter how much packing space it saved !

Thanks for your list,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Marty,

Hey, you knew I would reply to this! I confess, I've never been on Celebrity. Are their closets a LOT bigger than other cruise lines? I can't imagine trying to stuff all of that into either my luggage or the closets.

My belongings have always fit easily into less than half of the closet and shelf space on both Celebrity (seven cruises) and Princess (thirteen cruises) -- and I took suits for "semiformal" evenings on my first several Princess cruises. Last fall, I actually had three additional days' worth of casual wear aboard MV Galaxy because I spent a weekend in Roma before my transatlantic cruise.

Of course, you can drop the items for "informal" evenings on Princess now, and on most other lines as well.

If ncecessary, you also can leave half of the casualwear items in your luggage when you unpack initially and swap the laundry for the clean clothes midway through the cruise.

Just FYI, leotards are HOT!

Yes, of course they look hot. That's exactly why many gents prefer ladies who wear them! :-)

How about letting us ladies choose our own underwear?!?

Seriously, I offer tips based on personal experience of twenty cruises, several of which were a full two weeks long, but I said in the beginning that you should modify the list according to your situation. If you prefer different styles, make the corresponding substitutions -- but be aware that different styles may require more space in your luggage and more storage space in your cabin. At the very least, my lists will key you to the appropriate quantities of each substitute item.

I'll also concede your point that Celebrity requires formal wear. But, I will never agree that all cruise lines should follow that example. There is plenty of room for all types.

I agree completely. In fact, I have suggested on these boards that cruise lines should differentiate themselves by differences in dress standards for some time. In particular, this is a consistent theme in my posts in Kuki's poll thread on the Royal Caribbean International board. I also have long pointed people who don't want to dress for formal evenings to cruise lines that don't hold formal evenings, both on these boards and elsewhere.

Also, there's a lot of non-clothing items that I pack and to maximize the helpfulness of your list, I think that that should be mentioned. The list of other stuff is elsewhere on this board, for those who are interested.

Yes, I included several non-clothing items on my lists and mentioned other non-clothing items that others may wish to bring. Again, my lists are intended as a starting point for people trying to make up their own.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Fern,

Great list for those who don't want to send out or do their own laundry! We'd take half, even on a longer cruise!

Suit yourself. Celebrity's laundry service is not cheap and I don't want to spend my vacation time doing laundry. At the very least, you can divide by two or three, rounding up, if you plan to do laundry once or twice during a two-week cruise.

I'm afraid you're showing your age ! Most people I know aren't even familiar with handkerchiefs! I wonder when they went "out of style"?

It depends into what social class one is born, I suppose. I'm still in my first half century....

The only time I've worn a leotard (unless you're defining it differently) was in dance class more years ago than I'd like to remember!

The objective of suggesting "bra tops or leotards" was to get rid of the separate supply of brazieres, many of which do not pack very compactly due to underwires and such. Of course, you certainly can substitute brazieres and conventional tops....

Are you saying you wear a speedo

You bet!

Of course, there are "speedos" and there are "speedos"....

Thanks for your list,

You're welcome!

Norm.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Admiral

this list is a great reference point Norm, a place to start, then you tailor it to your specific cruise and your needs. For example, skirts and blouses are out for me, i wear sun or sheath dressess. I do mix and match to get more than one nights wear out of a pair of trousers and a blouse.
The guys mix and match also to get more than one nights wear out of their trousers and polo/hawaiian print shirts.
I posted my packing list eons ago on this sight. I don't know if it is still here and could be pulled up.
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Norm,
My comment about letting us ladies choose our own underwear was intended as a bit of a joke! And not all brassiers take up a lot of space. Kind of glad to see you made a false assumption there, as I would not like to think you wear them! (another joke...okay?).

Afraid we will have to just agree to disagree about formal nights, though. I will never see any reason to even suggest that people go with specific cruise lines based purely on how fancy their clothing is.

I was a tad disturbed ay your comment about "what social class one is born into". I grew up with handkerchiefs and extensive rules of social etiquette and I am glad to see most of that go by the roadside. For example, all cruise lines get cutlery wrong. I'll only do details if asked, but it is true.

More important (to me), I feel that I would miss out on meeting some wonderful people if I only chose to associate with (as in cruise with) those of my "social class".
But, happy cruising to you, too!
Marty
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Leave the handerchiefs at home. It's just disgusting to carry around snot in your pocket all day and then open it up for everyone to see while you try to find a clean spot........don't you love seeing that stuff pull apart?
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Marty,

My comment about letting us ladies choose our own underwear was intended as a bit of a joke!

Okay, then suit yourself!

Afraid we will have to just agree to disagree about formal nights, though. I will never see any reason to even suggest that people go with specific cruise lines based purely on how fancy their clothing is.

It's really quite simple. If you don't want to dress for formal evenings, why book on a cruise line that runs formal evenings and tht expects passengers to wear proper attire throughout the ship when there are other options available in all segments of the market?

I was a tad disturbed ay your comment about "what social class one is born into".

What can I say? I'm not going to retract the comment.

I grew up with handkerchiefs and extensive rules of social etiquette and I am glad to see most of that go by the roadside.

It actually has NOT gone by the roadside. There are major segments of our society that still observe proper social etiquette very strictly.

For example, all cruise lines get cutlery wrong. I'll only do details if asked, but it is true.

1. Have you actually travelled on ALL of the cruise lines, or is there a possibility that a cruise line on which you have not yet travelled actually might get it right?

2. I'm listening. What faux pas have you seen?

More important (to me), I feel that I would miss out on meeting some wonderful people if I only chose to associate with (as in cruise with) those of my "social class".

I'm not necessarily advocating that you should confine your cruising to one line, but I am saying that you should conform to the standards of the line on which you are cruising or, alternatively, not book a cruise on a line if you do not want to conform to its standards. Wearing a tuxedo to dinner on a Windjammer Barefoot Cruise would be just as inappropriate as wearing shorts and a "T" shirt to dinner on a Cunard cruise.

Norm.
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Norm.
"suit youself"! Good one.

The etiquette rules that I am glad to see go include the snotty handkerchiefs. Yuck! Another is the family napkin rings. When a baby was born, someone would give a silver napkin ring with the baby's name on it. Still have mine. When the family dined alone, each person had their own napkin (cloth, no paper ones). At the end of the meal, you put your dirty napkin back in the ring and they were placed on a side board. I'm sure that most people had the sense to wash them, but it didn't always happen every meal, as you were supposed to only use it to dab your mouth. This is back when people had servants, so you had to hope they were doing their jobs. Even when it looked clean, I always felt rather disgusted.

The basis of all etiquette is courtesy, though, and that I wish were more common.

On to cutlery. Those rules were devised back when eating out meant dining at someone's home. It was the job of the hostess to determine the menu and then to ensure that the proper cutlery had been laid out to match what was being served. In any situation where the guests have options on what courses to order and choices for each course, you simply cannot lay out proper cutlery because you have no way of knowing who will need which pieces. We're not talking about faux pas here, but logical restrictions on what can be done. I'm not sure if it would even be feasible to train every waiter in the old style cutlery anyway. There were literally dozens of different pieces possible for any given meal. Most cruise lines do get the basics right, but for passengers, you shouldn't have to worry about using the right one since it may or may not even be there!

A minor bit of etiquette trivia...there is no such thing as a salad knife. The hostess was supposed to make sure that salads were served in bite size pieces, so it was an insult to feel the need to cut the salad. This is one that always seemed ridiculous, because if a single piece of lettuce wasn't cut, you had to fish the rest out rather than violate the rules. And, I do love salads!

Back to jokes, which are more fun. Got a great visual of a guy in a tux trying to negotiate the deck of a Windjammer cruise. Come one, Norm, I just know you would be wearing one!
Marty
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Marty,

"suit youself"! Good one.

I take it that you clicked on the link....

The etiquette rules that I am glad to see go include the snotty handkerchiefs. Yuck!

Of course, handkerchefs should go into the laundry whent they get to that point....

Another is the family napkin rings. When a baby was born, someone would give a silver napkin ring with the baby's name on it. Still have mine. When the family dined alone, each person had their own napkin (cloth, no paper ones). At the end of the meal, you put your dirty napkin back in the ring and they were placed on a side board. I'm sure that most people had the sense to wash them, but it didn't always happen every meal, as you were supposed to only use it to dab your mouth.

Yes, we used those napkin rings in the Wardroom (commissioned officers' mess) aboard ship when I was on active duty with Uncle Sam's Navy to cut down on laundry. Realistically, most people use their napkins only a few times during most meals so a cloth napkin is serviceable for a couple days. That's far too much work aboard cruise ships, though!

This is back when people had servants, so you had to hope they were doing their jobs. Even when it looked clean, I always felt rather disgusted.

Servants were not all that prevalent even in times past. Historically, wealthy people had servants but the middle class did not. Today, though, we have a lot more machines so we're a lot less dependent on manual labor. Most people do not wash dishes or clothes by hand, and you can now buy inexpensive machines that will vaccuum your house and wash your floors with minimal attention.

The basis of all etiquette is courtesy, though, and that I wish were more common.

Yes. Here, I have two anecdotes.

>> Once, when a delayed flight caused a broken connection, I went to the courtesy desk in the gate area to get rerouted. Sympathizing with the plight of the poor agent, who was franically trying all sorts of searches to come up with a flight, I said that I was sorry to be such a pain. She immediately looked up and said, "No, no, you're fine! You are, at least, polite!" I asked if she got many who were not, and the response was a resounding affirmative. (To this day, I cannot comprehend why people must take out their frustrations on the agents who obviously had nothing to do with causing the problem but who can do a LOT to fix it. It's amazing to what ends those agents will go if treated with a little respect!)

>> Five years ago, I met Joe and Lorraine Artz aboard MV Royal Princess. At the time, Joe and Lorraine were on their two hundred eighth Princess Cruise (and they did over 125 cruises on other lines before settling on Princess). Joe and Lorraine were an amazing couple. In Joe's later years, they booked that ship's Princess Suite (one of the two top cabins on the ship) for about a dozen consecutive cruises a couple times a year. The most amazing thing is that I met many crew members who had served Joe and Lorraine during several of my cruises with Princess, and not one of them ever made a comment that had even a slight tinge of negativity toward them. Rather, every single member of Princess's crews who knew Joe and Lorraine spoke with considerable enthusiasm about the plesure of serving them. When my cruising days cme to an end, I aspire to have a similar legacy!

On to cutlery. Those rules were devised back when eating out meant dining at someone's home. It was the job of the hostess to determine the menu and then to ensure that the proper cutlery had been laid out to match what was being served. In any situation where the guests have options on what courses to order and choices for each course, you simply cannot lay out proper cutlery because you have no way of knowing who will need which pieces. We're not talking about faux pas here, but logical restrictions on what can be done. I'm not sure if it would even be feasible to train every waiter in the old style cutlery anyway. There were literally dozens of different pieces possible for any given meal. Most cruise lines do get the basics right, but for passengers, you shouldn't have to worry about using the right one since it may or may not even be there!

With regard to cutlery, customs may have differed from place to place. In some places, it's customary for waiters to set the table with the cutlery for only the first course, then to serve new cutlery before each course rather than setting the table with cutlery for many courses. Princess adopted this approach many years ago, and it seems to work better, partly because many passengers do skip courses and partly becasue it eliminates the need to replace standard utinsils with the proper type for a particilar selection. This approach also makes the table less cluttered during the early courses of the meal.

With regard to training waiters (and now waitresses) in "the old style" of cutlery, I have noticed that both Princess and Celebrity do very well. Both lines are consistent such subtleties as bringing fish knives to passengers who order fish.

A minor bit of etiquette trivia...there is no such thing as a salad knife. The hostess was supposed to make sure that salads were served in bite size pieces, so it was an insult to feel the need to cut the salad. This is one that always seemed ridiculous, because if a single piece of lettuce wasn't cut, you had to fish the rest out rather than violate the rules. And, I do love salads!

Hmmm....

I'm not sure whether this is an issue of understanding of the word "salad" or an issue of local custom. If one's host serves a wedge of iceburg lettice with slices of tomato and cucumber rather than a tossed salad, one most certainly does use a knife to cut the wedge of lettuce and the slices of the other vegetables into bite-sized pieces that one can eat with a fork. This example begs the question of whether it is a "salad" or rather a "garden plate" but I'm not persuaded that it's worth arguing over semantics. Your point about chopping or breaking vegetables into bite-sized pieces is absolutely correct for something like a tossed salad or a Caesar salad, though!

The more I ponder this reply, though, the more I think that the guides to cruising need to add a chapter to cover this type of thing. There are a lot of people who can afford cruises now who do not know the basics.

Got a great visual of a guy in a tux trying to negotiate the deck of a Windjammer cruise. Come one, Norm, I just know you would be wearing one!

Maybe on Halloween if I'm escorting you in your ball gown.... ;-)

Norm.
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Norm,
I couldn't fit into any of those old ball gowns now if I tried...really tried! Plus, I am so prone to seasickness that a ship as small as Windjammers would definitely end up with me NOT being a pretty sight! But, I appreciate the offer!!

Marty
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Admiral

colorcrazie,

I am so prone to seasickness that a ship as small as Windjammers would definitely end up with me NOT being a pretty sight!

We'll get you a position on the crew. By the end of your first contract, the ship;s motion won't bother you at all. :-)

Norm.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

Since we're getting a fair number of questions about what to pack, I decided to add a post to this thread to bump it up in the list to where newcomers can find it without searching through several pages of threads.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

So where are the jammies on this list? Vacation or no vacation, I gotta have my jammies! Coffee on the balcony just wouldn't be the same without them!!

Kim
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Kim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
So where are the jammies on this list? Vacation or no vacation, I gotta have my jammies! Coffee on the balcony just wouldn't be the same without them!!
"Jammies" are in the "takes up too much space in the luggage and more fun without anyway" department.... ;-)

Norm.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

Just bumping this thread back to the first page, where newcomers can find it....

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Passenger

that's a wonderful and useful list Norm. my question is, won't all that be over the weight limit for airlines? how many suitcases do you use to keep under the weight limit? we are doing a 15 day Hawaii trip in March 2008 and i am looking for all the help i can get to pack smartly for it.
thanks,
carla

travel makes life fun!
our ship sails 6/12/07 for Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii, Diamond Princess 3/17/08
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Carla,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
that's a wonderful and useful list Norm. my question is, won't all that be over the weight limit for airlines? how many suitcases do you use to keep under the weight limit? we are doing a 15 day Hawaii trip in March 2008 and i am looking for all the help i can get to pack smartly for it.
thanks,
I usually check a "two suiter" (26" roller back), a pilot's case (22" roller back), and carry on a briefcase. The pilot's case actually is within the size limits for carry-on, but it's easier to check it since I'm checking the bigger piece anyway. I have put all of the items in the packing list for men, above, plus a Halloween costume with a full cape and make-up into this luggage and have never had a weight problem. I'm average size, so big people might need to step each bag up to the next larger size to accommodate their larger sizes clothing, but I doubt that it would put them seriously over the weight limits.

Backing up a step, nearly all of the major airlines include the following luggage, per person, in the fare.

>> Two (2) checked bags, not to exceed fifty (50) pounds each

>> One (1) carry-on bag

>> One (1) personal item such as a purse, a brief case, a computer bag, or a small backpack

The major airlines assess surcharges for each checked bag in excess of two (2) and for each checked bag that's over the weight limit. The typical surcharge for each bag between fifty (50) pounds and seventy (70) pounds is about twenty dollars ($20.00), which is quite nominal. OTOH, the typical surcharge for each bag over seventy (70) pounds is one hundred dollars ($100) is typical, which is pretty steep. If you have more than the permitted carry-on items, the Transportation Security Administration will not let you through security and the airline will not allow you onto the plane until you shed the excess.

So the bottom line is that you can avoid baggage surcharges by spliting your belongings between two medium suitcases per person, each of which are within the weight limit, rather than cramming everything into one big suitcase that is nearly certain to be overweight.

BTW, be sure to pack your cosmetics and toiletries in one of your checked suitcases, except for small (3 oz. or less) travel containers of anything that you will need while in transit, as the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) enforces its rules for liquids and gels in carry-on bags very strictly. Note that if you must bring any small containers of liquids and gels in your carry-on, they must be in a quart size (or smaller) zip-lock bag. TSA will require you to remove the zip-lock bag from your carry-on and place it through security separately, so put into the bag in a location that is readily accessible without removing your other belongings.

Norm.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

Just getting this thread back up front where those who are in need of it can find it easily....

Norm.
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Passenger

Norm,
I read through your list and most of the responses. Wow - that's quite extensive! I take it you're a man who appreciates order and due process. I'm right there with you brother, but I also like to live on the edge. As the years go by I find I'm becoming more and more adventurous.
My packing list is substantially smaller than yours though it still contains everything I'll need for the 7-day span. I'll be taking the absolute necessities sprinkled with a few surprises. Seems I've become quite adept at squeezing 6 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket.
My bag of choice will be a full sized Samsonite and I suspect I'll be able to fit everything I need with room to spare.

Packing lists will vary from passenger to passenger. I would suggest, to one posing the question, to start with the "givens" and then add to those as space and weight allow. And also to take some time to do this. Packing at the last minute is what gets us all in trouble.

Rep

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Repsol Rod,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm,
I read through your list and most of the responses. Wow - that's quite extensive! I take it you're a man who appreciates order and due process. I'm right there with you brother, but I also like to live on the edge. As the years go by I find I'm becoming more and more adventurous.
My packing list is substantially smaller than yours though it still contains everything I'll need for the 7-day span. I'll be taking the absolute necessities sprinkled with a few surprises. Seems I've become quite adept at squeezing 6 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket.
My bag of choice will be a full sized Samsonite and I suspect I'll be able to fit everything I need with room to spare.

Packing lists will vary from passenger to passenger. I would suggest, to one posing the question, to start with the "givens" and then add to those as space and weight allow. And also to take some time to do this. Packing at the last minute is what gets us all in trouble.
I really doubt that lifestyle -- living "on the edge" or not, for example -- has much impact. Note that the lists in the OP are for a cruise of fourteen (14) nights, so one would cut everything in half, rounding resulting fractions upward, for your cruise of seven (7) nights. Additionally, one can drop the attire for "formal" and "informal" evenings if one's cruise line does not hold such evenings.

And as noted in the OP, these lists are intended as a starting point for beginners that most people will tailor to match their own preferences.

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

No one mentioned taking your oldest "undies" and throwing them out along the way. We have done this several times and frees up space for
souveniors. Also, I found that "rolling" my clothes and stuffing shoes with socks and underwear conserve space. We are taking a 30 day cruise around South America next Jan. with no self-serve laundries on board so
guess I will be doing some laundry in the sink. We will be flying down to
FLL from the North so DH will wear his jeans which he can use on the
chiller days on ship. Actually, some of the winter clothing we will travel
in will be perfect in case of cold weather farther south. Also, some of
your quantities for underwear (ladies) are a bit over the top - one doesn't need 4 strapless bras for 4 formal/cocktail dresses. One will surfice.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

Now that Celebrity is dropping the "informal" evenings for cruises that start after 01 August 2008, the following items should be deleted from the respective packing lists on Celebrity.

Gents

* 1 Sport Coat
* 4 Dress Shirts
* 4 Neckties

Ladies

* 2 Cocktail Dresses with 4 Sets of Accessories (2 for each dress)
* 4 Bras to Wear with Cocktail Dress, if Required

Norm.
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
No one mentioned taking your oldest "undies" and throwing them out along the way. We have done this several times and frees up space for
souveniors...
Logically speaking, I'm very inclined to embrace this school of thought however, I find that when I travel abroad, I like to dress in my best - right down to foundation garments.
Unmentionables are just as important to me as a certain shirt or particular pair of shoes...especially when the wifey might be setting me up for a romantic interlude. A little lacy thong and a silk camisole would be much more prone to get my attention than a tattered brief and an expired t-shirt. And though I love to be on the receiving end, I like to reciprocate and wear alluring things for her as well.
The beauty of this is "less is so much more". A whole wardrobe of lingerie will fit in a handbag so space isn't an issue for us.
Nope, we don't chuck our gear - we use it to bamboozle each other.

Rep

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Ah!! to be young and energentic !!! Whatever floats your boat - be it far from me
to "put a damper" on your bedroom athletics !! 8) 8)

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Passenger

If a woman is small enough on top to be able to wear a leotard in place of a bra, then she don't need either.
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Captain

I'm afraid my girls need all the support they can get!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Beginner

You think your list is long. Try packing for a 114day around the world trip. You would be surprised what you can and cannot live without.