Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Passenger

Default White Dinner Jacket

We are going to be cruising to Alaska beginning Sept. 8 out of San Francisco. My question is, should my DH take his white dinner jacket to wear the first formal night? This is when he always wears it when in warm climate. I know white is for more warm climate. He does wear his tuxedo for the last formal night. Thinking seriously of just taking blazer and tie instead of white dinner jacket since we are going to be in cooler climate. Need opinions, thank you.........
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: White Dinner Jacket

ivielane,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are going to be cruising to Alaska beginning Sept. 8 out of San Francisco. My question is, should my DH take his white dinner jacket to wear the first formal night? This is when he always wears it when in warm climate. I know white is for more warm climate. He does wear his tuxedo for the last formal night. Thinking seriously of just taking blazer and tie instead of white dinner jacket since we are going to be in cooler climate. Need opinions, thank you.........
If your husband owns a tuxedo (black dinner jacket), that would be the preferred option in Alaska in September. If not, he can get away with the white dinner jacket even though it's technically out of season after Labor Day.

A blazer is "informal" so it's NEVER appropriate for a "formal" evening.

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

I learn something new every day on this board.

I didn't realize that men also had the no white after Labor day rule.

thanks Norm

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Admiral

there is no reason why he cannot wear his tuxedo both formal nights. Why pack more than you have to? just change up the accessories, you can have his tux shirt cleaned on board or you can pack two tux shirts.
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Default Versitility with Tuxedo

I have a standard tuxedo, but I have three different style formal shirts. I also have two cummerbunds and matching bowties. I purchased a vest and a long tie for my 2006 cruise. Soooo- I can vary the look.
Tip: The pleats in the cummerbund face up! I can carry all in one garmet bag.

Look sharp!
Woodeagle
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Dina,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I learn something new every day on this board.

I didn't realize that men also had the no white after Labor day rule.

thanks Norm
Well, white is basically for wear in warm weather -- but even that has its vagueries. In the northern middle to high temperate latitudes, that basically means from Memorial Day to Labor Day. In the tropics and the low temperate latitidues, that means all year. And in between, there's a transition region where it's acceptable to wear white for progressively earlier and later as you go closer to the tropics, but not for the whole year. And for gentlemen, this also is true of dinner jackets in pastel colors.

Most cruises go to warmer climates where white is proper. In fact, I recently found a contemporary book in social etiquette that takes the position that white is always acceptable on a cruise, essentially making the presumption that a cruise would be in such a warmer climate. In reality, this is more than a little bit of a stretch for cruises to Alaska in May or September, for cruises to Canada and New England in September and October, and for cruises in the Mediterranian in October, November, and December. Theoretically, one also should not wear white on the portions of repositioning cruises that operate in these regions at these times of year, though I certainly would not find fault with somebody who "fudges" for just one "formal" evening at the start or end of such a cruise.

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
kookylabooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivielane
Yes he should.He will look very " James Bondish ". That old,outdated " no white after Labor Day rule " says RIP on it's tombstone !!!!
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

kookylabooka,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That old,outdated " no white after Labor Day rule " says RIP on it's tombstone !!!!
I'm going to let you duke that one out with Marty ("colorcrazie"). She's absolutely certain that it's still in full force even on Key West!

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking that we will forgo the white and do the black tux in different ties and cumberbunds and maybe a vest as he doesn't have one now. If we didn't have to haul the white dinner jacket and blazer, think of all the room in the wardrobe......... Now I shall go shopping on the internet for tuxedo accessories.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Well...

I have an Ivory dinner jacket, and love to wear it for one formal night during the cruise, then I wear my black tux on the other.

As for the white thing, I thought it only pertained to shoes, otherwise women getting married in white gowns and white shoes would be making big faux pas.

So Norm, is it incorrect ot wear my off-white/Ivory dinner jacket after Labor day?

Just curious

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Admiral

See Norm's post above. Not the one where he says I think the no-white after Labor Day is still in force in Key West.
White is perfectly acceptable on a cruise to warm climates. And I mean white shoes, dinner jackets, or anything else.
I remember my dad grumbling every spring and fall because he had to change dinner jacket colors. He was so not the fashion plate. But, I thought he looked fabulous whatever he wore. Mom just kept him on the socially acceptable path.
Marty
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Well...

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bububr
I have an Ivory dinner jacket, and love to wear it for one formal night during the cruise, then I wear my black tux on the other.

As for the white thing, I thought it only pertained to shoes, otherwise women getting married in white gowns and white shoes would be making big faux pas.

So Norm, is it incorrect ot wear my off-white/Ivory dinner jacket after Labor day?

Just curious
A white, off white, or pastel dinner jacket is proper all year in the tropical and subtropcal regions of the planet. The rule of "Memorial Day to Labor Day" historically was for New England and upstate New York, where that was basically the extent of the summer weather (though one can "fudge" a week or two in southern New England). The season rightfully grows longer as you go further south (typically Easter to Columbus Day around Virginia and the Maryland, for example).

I glanced through a contemporary manual on social etiquette in a bookstore and was somewhat surprised that it stated, categorically, that a white dinner jacket is always acceptable on a cruise. In reality, though, most cruises operated in regions or seasons where a white dinner jacket would in fact be proper -- the notable exception being "Canada and New England" cruises in September and October. Now, we're seeing that change with Mediterranean seasons extending into November and December. White dinner jackets really are not proper in the Mediterranean in those months, though I would never say anything to anybody who chose to wear one.

Norm.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I thought the "no white after Labor Day" was etched in stone by the fashion police !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82