Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Default fabrics for clothing choices, caribbean cruise

I am planning to go on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival in late March/early April with a couple days before and after spent in Florida. This will be my first cruise. Are there any fabrics that I should avoid. I already have my tuxedos(I am dressing these down a bit while still showing my unique style) picked out, but am looking for a sport coat or two that I could wear during the day or evening. Also, I need some advice on casual wear. I typically wear polos and golf shirts, as well as a few hawaiian shirts here and there, during the day, but advice on other options for both shirts and shorts/pants would be helpful. Quantities needed of both shirts and pants/shorts would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Admiral

brad - FYI Carnival is probably the most casual of the mainstream cruise lines, with that being said for daytime wear shorts with a polo or golf shirt will be perfect, a nice plain cotton t-shirt would also work very well, for casual evening wear, dockers type pants with the golf, hawaiian or polo shirts will be perfect. You could probably get away with out a sportsjacket, but if you want to wear it then go for it, you would only need one. As for quantity i plan for my DH two days on a pair of shorts, fresh shirt daily, same for casual pants, two evenings on a pair of pants with a fresh shirt each evening. 1 pair of swim trunks, good walking sneakers, water sandals, 1 pair casual shoes, 1 pair dress shoes.
Fabrics - go with natural fabrics, cotton, linen, silk, summer weigh wools.
hope this helps.
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Admiral

The only sport coat my DH ever takes is silk. Wool is way too warm. Depending on where you live, it may be a surprise just how warm, even hot, the islands can be. Have fun.
Marty
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: fabrics for clothing choices, Caribbean cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I am planning to go on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival in late March/early April with a couple days before and after spent in Florida. This will be my first cruise. Are there any fabrics that I should avoid. I already have my tuxedos(I am dressing these down a bit while still showing my unique style) picked out, but am looking for a sport coat or two that I could wear during the day or evening. Also, I need some advice on casual wear. I typically wear polos and golf shirts, as well as a few Hawaiian shirts here and there, during the day, but advice on other options for both shirts and shorts/pants would be helpful. Quantities needed of both shirts and pants/shorts would also be appreciated.
Brad,

You won't need the sport coat during the day, unless it's how you normally dress.

Day wear can range anywhere from a golf/polo type shirt and shorts to swimming trunks and a t-shirt. A Hawaiian shirt, golf/polo shirt are fine for both day and casual evening wear. If you do go for the sport jacket make sure it is a lightweight wool blend or silk. Heavy wool will be too hot, especially if you wear it outdoors.

A good idea is to reuse shorts and casual pants. You should be able to get two days out of each. Pack a casual shirt for each day. I also suggest shirts to be light colors. Dark colors, especially black, are hot in the hot Caribbean sun.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Thanks, I was leaning torwards silk, and right now they are inexpensive with the seasonal clearance sales. I was thinking probably a light shade of tan for the jacket. I typically wear jackets cause it is my personal style. I was planning to stick to black slacks, khakis, and chinos for pants and shorts for during the day.
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Captain

Cotton . . . 100%
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Default after some thought

After some thought and reading up on appropriate Warm Weather Black Tie, I have ultimately decided to take a style tip from Bogey go with the "Casablanca" style Single Button Shawl Collar Ivory Dinner Jacket.