Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Default Taking drinks onboard - what's allowed?

Someone told me you're allowed to take a case of water or soda onboard. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a case per person? Or one case per cabin?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

The cruise line suggests a "reasonable amount". I've personally never brought more then one bottle of water on board because I think the water on there is better then anything I've picked up in a bottle. I don't know how much pop you drink but the most I've seen people bring on is one case period.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Passenger

We ususally take two bottles of water each on board, mostly for the bottles. (We use the fitness center alot.) The ship's drinking was is filtered as well as any bottled waters. (Hubby works in the water industry so I trust his judgement.) I also take a few bottles of iced green tea for hubby to have in the room because that's his preferred beverage. The cruise lines only seem to get cranky about alcohol, but that's a whole other thread.
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Passenger

We ususally take two bottles of water each on board, mostly for the bottles. (We use the fitness center alot.) The ship's drinking was is filtered as well as any bottled waters. (Hubby works in the water industry so I trust his judgement.) I also take a few bottles of iced green tea for hubby to have in the room because that's his preferred beverage. The cruise lines only seem to get cranky about alcohol, but that's a whole other thread.
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Beginner

If you can take in a "factory sealed" water bottle you can take in liquor. There's a site that sells the sealed caps called camocaps. net they make it easy to just refill your water bottles and still have a seal on them.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Admiral

StormKat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Your husband is correct. The ship's drinking water is distilled, which brings it up to "Grade B" standards of purity. The normal filtration processes used for drinking water ashore bring it up to "Grade C" standards of purity. (To obtain "Grade A" water, one must distill and then demineralize it. For human consumption, demineralization is not necessary.)

Norm.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Admiral

mocoko,

Quote:
Someone told me you're allowed to take a case of water or soda onboard. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a case per person? Or one case per cabin?
Each cruise line sets its own rules and policies of enforcement, so you'll need to check your cruise line's rules to get the exact detail.

That said, I would not bother to bring either onboard.

>> The ship's tap water is excellent, and most ships do sell bottled water to take ashore. Just buy a bottle for your first shore excursion and then refill it from the tap each night. This will spare you trying to pack your private supply.

>> And most cruise lines now offer a "soda sticker" for $5.00 per remaining cruise day that entitles the passsenger to whose cruise card it's affixed to unlimited fountain sodas from all of the ship's bars for the duration of the cruise. If you drink a lot of soda, this will be a lot cheaper than your private stock!

Norm.
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Question Can apple juice go onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormKat View Post
Are you sure about that? I want to bring a case of apple juice on the ship. If the x-ray is able to see the shape of six small bottles with plastic caps would I be rejected? Or is it necessary to transfer the apple juice to a different type of container? Members gave me conflicting information about this. I absolutely have to pack apple juice because it's the only beverage I like that does not need to be refrigerated, so I need it in all ports.
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Admiral

CrystalPrincess,

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I want to bring a case of apple juice on the ship. If the x-ray is able to see the shape of six small bottles with plastic caps would I be rejected? Or is it necessary to transfer the apple juice to a different type of container? Members gave me conflicting information about this. I absolutely have to pack apple juice because it's the only beverage I like that does not need to be refrigerated, so I need it in all ports.
Apple juice should be no problem.

I recommend bringing it in factory-sealed containers so the ship's security personnel will have no doubt as to what it is.

Norm.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Do cruiseship security officers go through everyones luggage to check for drinks?

Old July 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

All luggage is x-rayed. If they see what looks like an obvious bottle of liquor they will open the bag and inspect it.

For example Carnival allows a bottle of wine per adult, so if they see a bottle they will inspect it to make sure it is not something other than wine. If it is tequila they will take it away for the length of the cruise.

I believe Carnival still allows 1 12-pack of water or soda. Royal/Celebrity do not allow any drinks brought onboard.

I started a new practice which I cannot believe I never thought of before - buy one large bottle of water ($4.00 at the bar) and for the rest of the cruise refill it at the buffet with filtered water. Why not?
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Captain

On both the Princess and Carnival lines we have been on we have taken 2 12 packs of sodas and a 6 pack of water. The water is nice to take on shore excursions. I guess that meets the code of 1 12 pack each.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Familiar Face

I have seen people carrry on a case or two of sodas, especially if they are brands that are not typically sold on board. Coke Zero, is my soda of choice and most cruise lines do not carry it. as long as the box does not apper to have been tampered with, aka opened and resealed with say a case of beer instead of cokes...it should be okay. But again check with your cruise line first, the worst thing they will do is hold up your luggage in the 'naughty' room and confiscate the beverages until the end of your trip. Just like travel irons and such.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

How do you pack bottled water if you are flying? Isnt there a size restriction with liquid, even if the cruiseline does allow you to bring water?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you check back to a few posts in this thread, you will see there is no need to pack water... just bring a couple of refillable bottles, and, you will be all set. The thread may be an old one, but, the information stands..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Captain

We always buy a case of water, keep it sealed and unopened, and put it into a duffel bag to be delivered to the stateroom. We usually finish the water and use the bag for dirty laundry. Works for us!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
How do you pack bottled water if you are flying? Isnt there a size restriction with liquid, even if the cruiseline does allow you to bring water?
Not a problem for me. My first cruise is Port Canaveral to the Bahamas, so my mom is going to drive from Gator Country to the Space Coast.

For my second cruise on the Pacific coast, the solution is putting it in my luggage that I will check on a Southwest flight from Orlando to Los Angeles. I have done that before. The liquid restriction is only for carry-on bags.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews