Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Beginner

Default carryon restrictions? (not flying)

I will be going on a 3 day cruise with my husband at the end of this month. This will be my third cruise, however, I recently moved to Miami so this will be the first time I will not be taking an airplane to the port. Since it's a 3 day cruise, we want to try to travel light, maybe just carry ons. I know the airline restrictions for carry on items as I fly frequently but can't find out if they are the same on cruise ships. Even if I can't fit everything and wind up checking a bag I still would like to put some toiletries in my carry on that I wouldn't want to leak (hair products and perfume over 3 ounces). Am I able to put these items in a carry on for the ship? Also, what about tweezers, eyelash curlers and razors? Usually I check these when I fly but would rather not if I don't have to (just my preference based on how I used to pack pre-9/11,). I know it may not be necessary or make sense to everyone, I'm just weird about my stuff and where I like to keep it, would take me an hour to explain my packing strategies and reasonings. I called Royal Carribean's help # to ask but the woman didn't seem to understand the question and just kept listing the restricted items list (I asked her about shampoo not fireworks for God sakes!) Does anyone know what the rules are for cruise carryons? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meliward413 View Post
I will be going on a 3 day cruise with my husband at the end of this month. This will be my third cruise, however, I recently moved to Miami so this will be the first time I will not be taking an airplane to the port. Since it's a 3 day cruise, we want to try to travel light, maybe just carry ons. I know the airline restrictions for carry on items as I fly frequently but can't find out if they are the same on cruise ships. Even if I can't fit everything and wind up checking a bag I still would like to put some toiletries in my carry on that I wouldn't want to leak (hair products and perfume over 3 ounces). Am I able to put these items in a carry on for the ship? Also, what about tweezers, eyelash curlers and razors? Usually I check these when I fly but would rather not if I don't have to (just my preference based on how I used to pack pre-9/11,). I know it may not be necessary or make sense to everyone, I'm just weird about my stuff and where I like to keep it, would take me an hour to explain my packing strategies and reasonings. I called Royal Carribean's help # to ask but the woman didn't seem to understand the question and just kept listing the restricted items list (I asked her about shampoo not fireworks for God sakes!) Does anyone know what the rules are for cruise carryons? Thanks!
Welcome, Meli! You can put almost anything in a carry on bag. The only things they might be looking for would be alcohol.

Talking to any "Help Desk" for a cruise, is pretty much a waste of time . Not only have they never cruised, but the only thing they can "quote" to you is the same stuff you can see for yourself online .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes you can carry all that stuff on, but the bag has to fit through the x-ray machine which is similar in size to those found at airports. So if you take a duffle bag/backpack or a standard carry on suitcase, you will be fine.

There is no liquid restriction for cruise lines. (Edit: except for alcohol)
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

There isnt a limit on how many carry ons you can take. so take a back pack and a regular carry on per person. That should give you all you need and not have to worry about sixe and if it fits in the machines. Thats a good idea to jsut do carry ons on a shorter cruise. Happy cruising...
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Alcohol is still a big no no for carryon. Another snag we hit on RCCL...my husband had forgotten that he his little pocket knife in his pants pocket...RCCL security pulled him over, took the knife, give him a receipt so he could pick it up after our cruise. We're weren't the only ones being pulled over either...so maybe in that regard restrictions are a little tighter.

We've cruised before and never have had that happen...that's why we didn't even think of it. Lesson learned.

I carry ALL my make-up, and necessaries, like tweezers etc. and have never had problems. In fact if you run out of these things you can purchase them on board...so their not worried.

Happy cruising!
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Default Carry-On Restrictions

Check the cruise line web site for size restrictions for carry-on luggage. Carnival is 16" x 24" x unlimited, plus you can take a small cooler no larger than 12" x 12" x 12". I also asked about bringing bottled water and they said yes but not a huge amount (suggested a 6 pack), but emphasized that the water needed to be sealed. I guess that means if you bring an open water bottle you'll have to throw it away.
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Admiral

They have tightened restrictions to not allow weapons of any kind. Even souvenir "knives" may be confiscated. But, that and alcohol are the only no-no's I know about.
Marty
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

You have the right idea-travel as light as possible. You shouldn't have any problems with your carry on bags at all. Enjoy the cruise.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.