Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Familiar Face

Default Bahamas in November

What kind of clothing should I pack for a cruise, going of of Charleston, in mid-November. We're going to the Bahamas. Should I pack slacks, shorts, sweaters, or a little of each? I don't want to over pack.

Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In November the Bahamas should be fabulous...the chillier weather there, does not really hit till, later in Dec,and January....If Florida gets hit with a cold wave, it's usally safe to say, the Bahamas will be cooler too..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Kathy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
What kind of clothing should I pack for a cruise, going of of Charleston, in mid-November. We're going to the Bahamas. Should I pack slacks, shorts, sweaters, or a little of each? I don't want to over pack.
The weather in the Bahamas is pretty similar to that of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. You can expect daytime temperatures in the 70's or 80's most of the time, but the area does get cooler weather now and then so you need to be prepared for it. Every once in a while, this area does get a dusting to an inch of snow. You probably will have good beach weather, but you're far enough north so there's no guarantee.

Since your cruise is leaving from Charleston, you also should expect to encounter cooler weather on the first and last days.

Basically, I recommend bringing three or four pairs of shorts and swimsuits, a pair of slacks for cooler weather, and three or four couple skirts for the "casual" evenings, with tops that you can mix and match. Of course, you'll also want dress clothes for the "formal" evenings.

Also, be sure to bring a sweatshirt, a couple sweaters that will coordinate with your outfits (again, think "mix and match" to provide different looks), and a spring/fall jacket that you can wear over a sweater or sweatshirt for added warmth. If you get a couple extremely cold days, you can always spend them below decks aboard the ship.

Norm.
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

[QUOTE=Rev22:17;1322747]Kathy,

The weather in the Bahamas is pretty similar to that of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. You can expect daytime temperatures in the 70's or 80's most of the time, but the area does get cooler weather now and then so you need to be prepared for it. Every once in a while, this area does get a dusting to an inch of snow. You probably will have good beach weather, but you're far enough north so there's no guarantee.

I can assure you that there is NEVER a "dusting of snow" in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in November! EVER!!! I've been here since 2001 and the weather in November is always wonderful! We had a cool winter last year (Jan-Feb), but that was unusual. I did not break out the boots, sweatshirts, skis, gloves or hats! !

Come on down!
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

definately pack for summer weather- shorts, t-shirts, swimwear for daytime, casual slacks, skirts, capris, a nice dress for casual nights, your formal wear. I would also pack a couple of sweaters, a sweatshirt/sweatpants for cool days out on deck
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks everyone. This is our first cruise and I can't wait.

Old October 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Skipper's Mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I can assure you that there is NEVER a "dusting of snow" in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in November! EVER!!! I've been here since 2001 and the weather in November is always wonderful! We had a cool winter last year (Jan-Feb), but that was unusual. I did not break out the boots, sweatshirts, skis, gloves or hats! !

Come on down!
Climatologically, a sample of ten years typically will give you a good inidication of normal conditions, but not a reliable indication of likely extremes. It's extremely naive to say that something won't happen just because it has not happened in the past decade. As a college student (1975-1979), I witnessed several aberrant weather patterns that brought abnormally cold weather to Miami.

I looked up the record low temperatures for November in Florida. Here's the list (Temperature- Lowest of Record , Deg F for complete listing by month).

APALACHICOLA, FL - 24
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - 27
FORT MYERS, FL - 34
GAINESVILLE, FL - 25
JACKSONVILLE, FL - 21
KEY WEST, FL - 49
MIAMI, FL - 39
ORLANDO, FL - 29
PENSACOLA, FL - 25
TALLAHASSEE, FL - 13
TAMPA, FL - 23
VERO BEACH, FL - 38
WEST PALM BEACH, FL - 36

Temperatures this low are unusual, to be sure, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Norm.
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Familiar Face

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post

Temperatures this low are unusual, to be sure, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Norm.
Boy, I sure hope that I don't see snow. haha. We moved to Ohio to get away from snow, and we had 8 inches in one day in SC last year. lol