CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Travel Irons? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/385234-travel-irons.html)

Golden1 September 29th, 2011 12:00 PM

Travel Irons?

Do ALL cruiselines not allow travel irons? If so, do they provide irons in the cabins?

fun2cruiz September 29th, 2011 12:04 PM

Many ships will have a laundry area for passengers where irons are available for use in the laundry room area only. I always bring our small Black and Decker travel iron and have yet to have had any problems with it getting thru security in checked or carry on luggage. I also bring a travel steamer which works well too.

LisaK September 29th, 2011 01:14 PM

travel irons are a fire hazard and this is why the cruise lines have banned them.
Steamers are ok. Some cruise lines have self-serve laundry rooms that do have irons. You can send out your clothes to be pressed or you can either use de-wrinkler spray or just hang the clothes in the bathroom and turn on the shower full hot.

Trip September 29th, 2011 02:33 PM

I have a small combo iron/steamer, and never had an issue with it. Once I unplug it, I sit it on a damp face cloth, to cool it down quickly.

anniegb September 29th, 2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1394836)
travel irons are a fire hazard and this is why the cruise lines have banned them.
Steamers are ok. Some cruise lines have self-serve laundry rooms that do have irons. You can send out your clothes to be pressed or you can either use de-wrinkler spray or just hang the clothes in the bathroom and turn on the shower full hot.

Lisa

I understand that Celebrity don't allow steamers? Personally I use the shower method :)

Annie

LisaK September 30th, 2011 09:50 AM

Annie, I haven't heard that Celebrity doesn't allow steamers, maybe someone knows for sure? I am with you i use the shower method!

Donna October 6th, 2011 03:48 AM

Best way to avoid having to iron or use a steam iron is to pack with the plastic cleaner bags, saves on the wrinkles. Also a good idea to unpack and and hang what you can as soon as you can.. Some people also roll all their clothes, haven't tried that.

Golden1 October 6th, 2011 10:42 AM

What do you mean by "plastic steamer bags"?

fun2cruiz October 6th, 2011 10:55 AM

Plastic "Dry Cleaner Bags"

Trip October 6th, 2011 11:28 AM

bubble pack also works well.

colorcrazie October 6th, 2011 03:53 PM

I use a different approach. If it will need ironing, it doesn't get to go on the cruise with me.:cool:
Marty

Fern October 6th, 2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie (Post 1395782)
I use a different approach. If it will need ironing, it doesn't get to go on the cruise with me.:cool:
Marty

And I say: Amen :D!

ruthlessboss October 8th, 2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie (Post 1395782)
Marty

Oh, how CORRECT you are! If I unpack an ironed item and if it doesn't look too bad, it gets used as is. Who cares? These are people you'll never see again nor do they care?

P.S. Just because some have had no issues bringing irons or steamers, your day might come! I just got off a ship, and had to go to the naughty room. I couldn't believe the table full of irons and steamers!

Spartan kent October 8th, 2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1396096)
Oh, how CORRECT you are! If I unpack an ironed item and if it doesn't look too bad, it gets used as is. Who cares? These are people you'll never see again nor do they care?

P.S. Just because some have had no issues bringing irons or steamers, your day might come! I just got off a ship, and had to go to the naughty room. I couldn't believe the table full of irons and steamers!

Smuggling Irons on to a ship is one thing and very dangerous if not used correctly. :mad:
Did you know that some Brits even try to smuggle the prepaid tip vouchers off the ship to avoid leaving a tip rofl

fun2cruiz October 8th, 2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1396117)
Smuggling Irons on to a ship is one thing and very dangerous if not used correctly. :mad:
Did you know that some Brits even try to smuggle the prepaid tip vouchers off the ship to avoid leaving a tip rofl

If it is "prepaid", what good does that do them ? I am sure they wouldnt get a refund.

Golden1 January 10th, 2012 12:15 PM

Just wanted to follow up on this! Santa brought me a steamer and it is absolutely fabulous!! Super light weight and gets out all the wrinkles!!! :D

Lakers Fan January 10th, 2012 09:09 PM

Celebrity does not allow irons .

Trip January 10th, 2012 09:12 PM

Then bring a steamer Henry.

Lakers Fan January 10th, 2012 09:18 PM

steamer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1409123)
Then bring a steamer Henry.

My wife was told by a Celebrity rep that it was not allowed .

Trip January 10th, 2012 09:22 PM

I took one on the Eclipse...I take a small travel steamer on all my cruises. After use, I unplug, and set it on a dampened face cloth.

Lakers Fan January 10th, 2012 09:31 PM

I rather not take the chance of bringing something that might be confiscated .

Manuel January 10th, 2012 10:34 PM

Henry, I agree with you.

TM

Lakers Fan January 10th, 2012 11:11 PM

I'm planning on packing more clothes since we are not flying at all.