Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

My packing list for any length cruise includes these documents, in order of importance:

State ID, passport, and copy of passport
Boarding passes for flights if I have to fly

Copies of prescriptions for all medications

Confirmation emails for tours, hotels, etc.
City maps for all ports and ship deck plan

Of course, all of that belongs in my carryon, not the bag I will check. While shopping in February for a new set of luggage bags one criterion was a large front pocket an 8.5x11 sheet of paper can fit in unfolded because I keep all travel documents in a folder except the actual state ID and passport.

The larger bag I check will always contain:

White mesh laundry bag with zipper
Extra walking shoes in case it rains
Lightweight rain jacket (not plastic)
Waterproof sunscreen (over 30 SPF)
Very loud portable travel alarm clock

My younger sister thinks hotel-provided hair dryers are never good enough so she likes to pack hers. But I never use them and see no reason to worry about the wattage. Now packing her curling iron makes a lot more sense because hotels don't offer them, but of course that is only if you look terrible with straight hair.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 25th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Captain

Default Extra passport picture, sewing kit and collapsible cup

Although I have never needed to use them a couple of items that can be helpful: An extra passport picture - supposedly if you lose your passport getting the replacement is easy enough but you have to find a photographer to get the replacement picture. This can be a time consumer and hassle maker. The sewing kit is always good when you lose a button although I can usually just grab another one. I read about a real frugal guy who gave shirt with a missing button to the local Good Will. He kept an eye on the for sale items and bought back his shirt after it had a new button and it had been pressed. The collapsible cup is useful when you forget your water bottle, but I find that it's better to buy local wine or other beverages- more fun too.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Welcome Newcomer

hanging toiletry organizer
power strip
BOOKS!!
light-weight travel hairdryer
DUCT TAPE
CD's and DVD's
sun block
lots of singles for rm. service tips
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Welcome Newcomer

An insulated travel cup is a must. They are great for walking around with coffee , water by the pool, or even to pour a bar drink into so it stays colder longer by the pool.
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile

must pack item is as below I think.

beauty case
trolley or Rolling bag
toiletries
passport
clothes
sunscreen (over 50 SPF)

Last edited by imsharon; April 28th, 2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add
Old April 29th, 2014, 08:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharon View Post
must pack item is as below I think.

toiletries
?? Not unless you need your special items. Princess provides shampoo, body wash & conditioner and lotion. Although they're OK some people don't like them but I would rather use theirs than lug my own.
Travel as lite as possible.
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Thumbs up Credit cards & Cash

Remember, Credit cards used at foreign ports may have additional charges for exchange rates and service charges added to every transaction, always verify.

It is in your best interest to contact your credit card company before your departure and let them know the destinations you will be visiting and the dates, it is common for a block to be put on a credit card, if the credit card company determines your account may be compromised.

Always have the toll free numbers contained on the back of your credit card on your person, while in port, also having the port agent at each port of call is very important, in case of a delay back to the ship or other matters that may require assistance from a person with knowledge of the customs and laws.
The port agent is your direct link to the ship!

Cash is king, however you may end up paying higher prices for items purchased with US Dollars vs local currency.

One fact to remember, you don't need your passport while in port to get back on the ship, however if you miss the ship and you need to catch a international flight to the next port of call, you will not be able to purchase the airline ticket without your passport.

Did you know that if you experience a major medical episode or have an accident or in the opinion of the ships captain or doctor you may be a liability to the cruise line, you will be denied boarding.

You will need your credit card or you will need to arrange payment to a medical facility, if you require any medical treatment!
Most travel cancellation policies purchased before the cruise are secondary coverage and or medical plans here in the USA only reimburse for medical payments received, as long as it was pre-approved.

This is why ever (passenger), whom has any medical coverage should have the phone number for pre-approval for medical treatment and the form(s) most medical policies will require to be completed by treating physician.

Another tip, Have your e-mail on the front of your passport with the words "CASH REWARD UPON RETURN".
Self explanatory.

I hope this will shed some light and further assist on safer travel.

Bon Voyage