Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGoldenJellybean
Unhappy How to dress when your fat with arm scars! :(

Hello!

I'm going on my first cruise in January 2014..... Really nervous. It wasn't my choice, it was booked as a surprise, which is fantastic but I've always dreaded summer anyway because of how I look.

I'm in my early twenties but due to some rough times in my life I've fluctuated in weight from a size 8 (UK size) to a size 16/18. Currently I'm about a size 16. Anyway my arms are covered in scars from my teenage years and when I tan they show up like tiger stripes!!

What's the best type of clothing it wear in such hot climes?! I'm going to the Caribbean and it's gonna be scorching. I never know how to cover my arms without boiling to death, and I can't do bear legs (scars, cellulite and they rub together - I'm a mess lol!) what fabrics are cool floaty yet covering and comfortable?

Thanks for ANY help
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Admiral

At that time of year it won't be 'scorching'. It can get hot, but not unbearable. Plus, all the ports are on the water, so there is usually a constant breeze.

I'm very fair skinned and can get sunburned rather easily. One of the things I found that works very well for me to help keep from getting sunburned while being comfortable so I don't get overly hot, are those shirts made from very lightweight material, similar to the Columbia Bahama nylon shirt. (If you ever watch Survivor, Jeff Probst is always wearing these on the show.) I have two long sleeve and one short sleeve that I always travel with and they are wonderful. They dry fast, very lightweight, take up very little space, and are excellent in hot weather. My wife has a couple of short sleeve ones and she loves them because they are extremely comfortable.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old December 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

First of all, don't be so hard on yourself. None of us is perfect. Remember that. Go, have fun, and stop worrying so much about your imperfections.

As far as what to wear, you can find some very thin fabrics that camouflage while still letting your skin breathe. Also, maxi skirts are a great option! Very comfortable and easy to wear. If you get the right kind, they are great to pack since you don't have to worry about wrinkling, since they already have the wrinkly fabric.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Familiar Face

dont worry about how you look - go for comfort! Everybody is thinking of their own appearance, but not worrying about someone else, unless it's a fantastic movie star, which all the rest of us aren't. Gauzy cottons, don't forget a warmer covering for evenings, wear a big smile, and you'll be fine.