Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default We paid our fare same as you!

On Crystal World Cruise recently the 100 Full World Cruise people made it very plain they wanted the ship as their own private yacht. They told the President that they did not want people buying segments.

WHY? If you look in the brochure you will see that if Cabin "A " is occupied by a full world cruiser couple they will pay approx $82K for 104 days

Next over the same 104 days Cabin "B" will be occupied by 5 succesive couples over the 5 segments, at a cost of approx $87K

It was the "segment" people that supported this cruise . Without us Crystal really would have "bled to death". and it is time that Crystal realised EVERY PASSENGER IS EQUAL WE ALL PAID OUR FARE

Not everyone can simply go away for 3 months straight, nor can everyone spend $82K (First class air fare included courtesy of Crystal) on one cruise, but they may be able to go away for 2-3 weeks and pay $15-$16K + the cost of their air fare which they had to pay themselves.

The average cruiser would I think find funding even a segment involves a good bit of saving on their part. I know I have to save for a whole year in order to fund this cruise. Does having to save for just a portion of the cruise make me less worthy? I dress well, always observe the dress code, eat with good table manners etc. Plus I say "please" and "thank you" treat the waiter and stewardess' as human beings not as my own private "skivies"

Who gave the full world cruisers permission to act as though Symphony belonged only to them. ?
The blame must lay with Crystal who used every oportunity to tell them how special they were, the special parties, dinners, shore tours, entertainments etc.

At time when almost every other cruise line is trying very hard to woo passengers ,Crystal is deliberately snubbing the average passenger and driving them away in order to cater to the whims and fancies of a select few.

Spend an afternoon sipping Rare wines,and vintage champagne,in the Vintage room, smoking Corona -Corona cigars and drinking vintage Cognac in the Connoisseur Club, have a nice chat with the representative from Harrods of London followed by a chat with the representative from Sotherby's of London, followed by a $350 massage in the spar. Does Crystal really believe this is how the average passenger wants to cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: We paid our fare same as you!

Evelyn:

Come on over to Radisson, we are real people!!

Seriously, Radisson has realized that segment sailors are the bread and butter of being able to have a world cruise (or Pacific cruise as Crystal has done in past and Radisson next year). Next year, segments are only 18-22 days. There are specials for 1, 2, 3, or 4 segments.

We have a good group where we would gladly welcome jimsgirl.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 3rd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Alexia

Evelyn:

You said the full-world cruisers made the request to the President. Then you turned around and laid the blame direct on Crystal's shoulders.

What gives?
Old June 5th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Tracie

Default Re: Re: We paid our fare same as you!

Evelyn, your concern has been a major concern on every world cruise. The world cruisers don't feel they are catered to enough and the segment people complain that they are treated like the old third class passengers on the QE2, when they had a class system. It's the nature of the beast and nothing can be done. From what I've heard, even the lovely Ambassador Hosts were commenting on how nasty the full world cruisers were on this cruise.
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Re: We paid our fare same as you!

Thank you Tracie for your comments, I also posted my legimate concerns on another board and have been "hung drawn and quartered" for commiting the "heresy" of being critical of Crystal.
In fact I have been accused ot outright lying. by people who were not on that particular cruise but of course they "KNOW" I am wrong about events.!
Oh well I just hope they never get the same treatment on one of their cruises.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: We paid our fare same as you!

I have never been on any segment of a world cruise, but I have heard the same stories. It is laughable actually. I guess some people really need to struggle to find things to be snobby about.

Just because you don't go the full 100 days it doesn't mean you aren't worthy. Maybe you are spending the rest of time finding a cure for cancer, saving children or running a multi-trillion dollar conglomerate.

But I do know that world cruisers often buy two cabins, just so they'll have a place to keep all the clothes they bring with them. Which begs the question, if you are that rich, why not just pay the ship to do your laundry?

Old September 21st, 2003, 02:27 PM
Mallon

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We paid our fare same as you!

We always wanted to take a Crystal cruise. I think I'll pass............and leave it to those "better" than me!
Old September 21st, 2003, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Mallon, see my Harmony review. I didn't experience any of the snobbishness alluded to above. Quite the contrary, I found the passengers on Harmony to be friendly, outgoing, experienced travellers who welcomed first timers. No one ever questioned my background or financial status - I'm not one of the wealthy, btw. Crystal is making an effort to attract family business. Children under 12 sail free on some of its itineraries. If you've already made up your mind to avoid the fuller service lines, you'll never know what you are missing.

Post Edited (09-21-03 15:30)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We paid our fare same as you!

Very well said Mallon!!!Mallon wrote:

> We always wanted to take a Crystal cruise. I think I'll
> pass............and leave it to those "better" than me!
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:27 PM
JohnTomm

<<Children under 12 sail free on some of its itineraries>>

Crystal offered this for Alaska only, if I am not mistaken. It really isn't fair to other age groups. 11-year-old boys eat more than I do.
Old October 29th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Passenger

I have just returned from my first Crystal Cruise.

Please do not cancel any plans you may have to cruise with this Cruise Line. I am now Crystalized and will with out doubt go again.

I have to think that most of the Crystal Society do not write reviews nor even post on this board...why would they ? , So do not paint everyone with the same brush, after all, I am now part of the "Crystal Family" .

We will be posting a review soon, we have only just returned home and want to write w review with great detail.

I do know the staff were very happy to have us and we met some CS people who were equally as happy.

We will be in touch.

Jolie
Old November 1st, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evelyn Richardson

The World cruise segment was my 10th cruise with Crystal, for cruises 1-8 my reaction was the same as you, I was impressed etc.

However on my cruise the 9th cruise, something appeared to be going wrong, in fact out of a table for 8, 7 of the other passengers (all making numerous repeat cruises with Crystal ) cancelled their future bookings. I kept my in, thinking that one bad cruise was not necessarily a sign of the future.

My 10th was unfortunately the segment of the world cruise and almost everything went wrong on it , much of the problem was the fault of Crystal management.

I switched cruise lines, after all why pay 6 star price and only get a 3 star cruise. ! Some people will say you cannot compare a line like Celebrity to Crystal for instance My Crystal cruises cost me approx 2-3K more than I would have paid for similar cabin and itineray on Celebrity but I did not get 2-3K extra value .

Comparing the value received for the amount of $ paid, is the final judgement of a cruise line.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:18 AM
Gary Karschnick

We had a similar experience on the Radisson Mariner. (Round South America) Those who took the entire trip acted as if they were to be accomodated for everything first and if there were "crumbs" left, then those who took a segment could be accomodated. That was bad enough, but the ships staff especially the cruise director and the dining room staff went along with it. Radisson used to be my favorite cruise line, but after that and the way that they took the heart out of the Diamond, it's just another middle-class cruise line. IMHO.
Old November 8th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Thank you Gary, on another board I am still being "hung , drawn and quartered " for writing my review on the segment of the Worl Cruise that I did. Some call me a liar (though they themselves were not on the cruise) and the latest is that I am "jealous because I cannot afford to cruise Crystal" - a remark that ignores the fact that I HAVE cruised Crystal 10 times!!!!.

Like you I found the staff on board the ship made it very clear that only the Full World Cruisers counted. The staff kept their "favourite" table in the bar "free " for them, in the dining room at breakfast I would wait and wait while no less than 4 waiters flitted around an Full World Cruiser who came to breakfast in her FLANNEL NIGHTWEAR.!!.then she would go out into the public area and fall asleep on the couch.

I have also been told that I am the "only person who doesn't like Crystal" . So why is Crystal having problems filling the 900 person ships, when other cruise lines are "sold out" ? Could it be that other passengers like me have decided not to pay 6 star prices for a 3 star cruise?