Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Lorraine Jamieson

Default Interview tips needed

I have an interview for Cunard Line on Wednesday as a waitress/bartender and as this is my first cruise ship interview I was wondering if anyone could give me help on what to expect and how to impress.

Thanks
Lorraine
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Interview tips needed

Hi!

I have sailed on Cunard several times over the past few years. The waiters and bar tenders are formal in character but friendly. They make a point to learn the guests' names and remember what the guests like to eat and drink.

They work very long hours. They are there at 8 in the dining room to greet us, and there after 11 when we call it quits after dinner and leave the dining room ... and are East bound crossings, you lose an hour of sleep almost every night. (Plus, they are on hand to serve tea at 4 in the afternoon, between lunch and dinner.)

Elegance, proper and good manners, good posture, a reserve friendliness at first.....

The Cunard crowd is older -- in their 60s, 70s and 80s. Yes there are younger people (under 50) but the passengers tend to be older.

The passengers expect Grade A service and as a waiter you are on the front line for all that goes wrong. You take the brunt of it -- and must act with ease and grace.

Have you ever been on a ship before? Do you get seasick? It can be pretty rough in crossings... and no matter what you say or do, sea sickness does not go away easily... I would not want to be a crew member and sea sick. Keep that in mind.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Marc
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Rick J

I would recommend no body piercings or tatoos showing, and avoid excesive make up. Follow the recommendations above. If you are honest, reliable, and have good manners and grammar, you're a shoe-in. Good luck.
Rick J
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

.....and tell us if you like the interview and sign on with a job, ...tell us what ship you are on and you'll have probably have site folk, now your fans, looking you up. Good luck!
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Julia Elzie

Default Re: Re: Interview tips needed

Definitely agree with the previous suggestions, especially natural makeup, take out any piercings beyond one earring in each ear. (You can certainly have the other earrings, but take them out for the interview and you would need to take them out when working with the Cunard guests).

Also, do you have a good dark-colored business suit? A suit with a knee-length skirt or pants for ladies and a conservative suit and tie would be perfect. Cunard has a tradition of British heritage and culture and it would be wonderful to wear a dark suit with polished shoes or modest heels would be entirely appropriate.

Good luck and definitely let us know how the interview goes for you....

Best Regards,
Julia