Old August 18th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Familiar Face

Arrow QM2 Thoughts & Comprehensive Photo Spread

I recently returned from the August 1, 2016 eight-day crossing of QM2 from Southampton to New York. No full review this time but I’ll mention almost everything was to perfection! I think QM2 is better than ever, and her recent “remastering” has only improved her in my opinion. The atrium has been opened up, the new King’s Court is superb, and the transformation of the Winter Garden to the Carinthia Lounge has created one of the most inviting and popular spaces on the entire ship. A job well done by Cunard! In addition I enjoyed overall great cuisine & service, and a wonderful variety of weather. Everything from sunny & warm, to rainy & cloudy, seas smooth as glass, as well as a day of rough seas with hurricane force winds. We had it all and QM2 handled it like the Ocean Liner she is. Cunard’s fantastic lecture program rounded things out, and I’m happy to say they had excellent speakers on this crossing, as well as Herbie Hancock leading up the Jazz Festival at Sea. QM2 pretty much offers everything I’m looking for in a ship. I wanted for nothing and very much enjoyed everything she had to offer. She is probably my overall favorite ship currently afloat.

There are just a few areas of opportunity I felt worth mentioning:

- check in at the QE2 terminal in Southampton was dismal. The line stretched outside the main entrance and took an hour just to get inside. Not a great way to start a “luxury” voyage.

- the internet was subpar. Cunard still charges by the minute and it’s very slow. I’m astonished this wasn’t upgraded during her “remastering”. Meanwhile other lines are installing high speed internet with reasonable pricing and unlimited usage. Cunard is really behind the curve in this regard.

- no beef wellington the entire voyage! Yes I love it and Cunard was one of the last lines that offered it. They had salmon wellington one night and it was quite good, but not the same.

- the fun Cunard ocean liner documentaries on the TV are history. I really enjoyed these and certainly missed them.

- Ocean Bookshop is gone, and there is only a limited selection of ocean liners books now offered. I hope Cunard reconsiders this decision. It was truly a Cunard distinction.

- a small detail but still important. The Cunard branded cocktail stir sticks are gone, replaced by generic ones which incidentally are the same that P&O uses. I don’t want Cunard to become P&O and it’s the details that make all the difference. One cut like this often leads to another, and I don’t want that to happen.

- this is not a negative from the cruise itself, but after I returned I received an electronic survey from Cunard. It was full of questions like “do you enjoy traditional dining” and “are there enough dining options” as well as “do you think Cunard is too formal”. It almost seemed as if they were prompting you to answer the casual dress and open sitting dining questions in a positive way. This would surely give them ammunition to change the onboard format, saying it was “customer driven”. I did not answer these questions in a positive way, as one of the things I enjoy about Cunard is the traditional and formal atmosphere. Cunard is pretty much the last cruise line left to offer this style of cruising, and should it disappear Cunard will become no different than the 40+ other cruise lines out there which offer a casual and untraditional style cruising experience. The cruise choices for a casual experience are endless, not so for a formal and traditional experience.

Since QM2 was recently “remastered” I felt it was time for another full photo spread. Attached are links to almost 450 photos of the ship, of which I think I captured just about every public area except the children’s center and tender loading lounges. Also a separate link to the Daily Programs and some menus. All the photographs are labeled, just hover your curser over them to see the title.

448 Photos of the “remastered” QM2:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/erolle...57669531770864

Daily Programs and some Menus:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/erolle...57672532942026

Hope you enjoy!