Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Default First family Cruise

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning our first family cruise. I have been on one before (not Disney) but it has been years, almost 20! Anyway, we are looking at June 2011 on the Disney Dream.

My question is this, are there any hidden fees like you hear about with Disney? Also the Concierge, is this worth the money and if so what all is included with it. Any advice is welcome

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Captain

No real hidden fees. Its all written out in the paper work you will receive and on their web site.
It is like most lines,
you pay extra for the Spa and Bingo, alcohol.
You can get free pop, coffee, milk, tea, at the drink station and the restaurants however if you order pop from a waiter around the pools or at the shows or in the louges or clubs you are charged for it.
They also have Martini and wine tasting for adults that costs extra if you sign up for it.
The adult restaurant, Remy ( think thats how its spelled) will have a small fee, I think $15 per person to cover the tip but the food is free.
They have speciality coffees they charge for.

All the other events on the ship are free that I can think of. Shows are free, clubs are free, room service is free ( tip at your disgression)

Of course excursions cost extra.
They do have a couple of stores for souvenirs and snacks that you can purchase but there is free food all day long so no real need to buy anything unless you want candy.
With the exception of the adult restaurant Remy's all the food places are included in your cruise cost. Kids clubs are free.
Oh i forgot the nursery does charge. It is $6 per hour minimum 2 hours and you must make a reservation. It is for kids under 3 that arnt potty trained yet.

Hope that helps you some.
Since nobody has been on the Dream yet some things we dont know for sure yet.
Your going before me, I am jealous!!! !! I have to wait until Halloween to go.

I hope you will post a review with pictures here so we can see them and hear all about it.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. This will be #21 Disney cruise for me. Plus 1 Carnival so I should be able to answer most questions you may have.

Kathy

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the info. We are excited about it and I will post a review. Do you know anything about the Concierge service? Why is it so much more expensive for this added detail?
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Captain

I have never used that service.

I know they get you reservations at the adult only restaurant, but you can do that yourself.
They also can get you spa reservations which you can also do yourself.

Basically they are there to wait on you. I think each day they leave you some kind of surprize like chocolate covered strawberries, fruit basket, cheese tray etc...

Myself I would rather take that extra money for a great excursion or extra souvenirs. I am never in the room long enough to worry about what room I have. We are only in there to sleep and clean up.

Kathy

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm565 View Post
hi all,

my wife and i are planning our first family cruise. I have been on one before (not disney) but it has been years, almost 20! Anyway, we are looking at june 2011 on the disney dream.

My question is this, are there any hidden fees like you hear about with disney? Also the concierge, is this worth the money and if so what all is included with it. Any advice is welcome

thanks!
hello,
congrats on your choice to do the disney dream. We also will be on it april 2011 as a family of 5. Grandpa and grandma, son, daughter in law and lil 6 yr. Old grandaughter. We are treating them all.

We sailed in 2007 on the wonder with other grandkids and again i say......noone does it like disney!

We were a bit more generous to the man who tened our cabin cleaning. They work hard and deserve a bit more for picking up after us. Stayed with the amount to waiters but not the head fella of dining room.........we found he really did nothing!

We found no hidden costs. If you buy alcohol then it's x-tra. Any pictures taken onboard can be bought. That is x-tra but i would not expect that to be a freebe so i buy the big photo package in advance.

Your going to love it. All food andd non alcoholic beverages included. Of course if you shop in the gift shop that is x-tra. Parking in the garage at port canaveral is x-tra but expected. Anything in the refrig. In the cabin is x-tra so be aware. There is so much to eat onboard we did not need to take from the refrig.

Happy sailing