CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Disney (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/)
-   -   Disney Fantasy Shipyard Visit (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/386916-disney-fantasy-shipyard-visit.html)

Jason Leppert January 6th, 2012 07:08 PM

Disney Fantasy Shipyard Visit

Hi friends!

I'm off to Papenburg, Germany next Monday (January 9th) to get a first look at the soon to be launched Disney Fantasy at the shipyard. Stay tuned for photos and reports here.

Happy New Year to everyone!
Jason

Jason Leppert January 8th, 2012 07:12 PM

Disney Fantasy Floats Out from German Shipyard

Just hours ago today, the Disney Fantasy met water for the first time as it was floated out from the massive ship building warehouse at Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany. After final outfitting and crossing the Atlantic, the Disney Fantasy's maiden voyage is scheduled to make way on March 31, 2012.

Donna January 9th, 2012 09:20 AM

Great pic...What is the normal itinary going to be for this new Disney ship?

mandisclark January 10th, 2012 06:49 AM

Disney vacation

Disney vacation packages and getaways are more affordable than you might think. Explore Resort hotel, Theme Park ticket and dining options-along with Resort hotel benefits-and see how you can customize a vacation package to meet your family's budget
-----------------------------------------------------

Jason Leppert January 10th, 2012 08:41 AM

The Disney Fantasy is specifically designed for 7-day itineraries in the Caribbean. That great first picture is actually a stock image from the Meyer Werft shipyard. I just saw the ship with my own eyes eerily emerge from the thick fog on our journey out to Papenburg. More photos will be coming soon. Stay tuned...

Jason Leppert January 10th, 2012 08:47 AM

More specifically, the Disney Fantasy will alternate between 7-night Western and Eastern itineraries.

Western Itinerary:

In and out of Port Canaveral with stops at Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay.

Eastern Itinerary:

In and out of Port Canaveral with stops at St. Maarten, St. Thomas/St. John, and Castaway Cay.

Trip January 10th, 2012 09:02 AM

Jason, even though stock, that is an amazing picture....looking forward to reading, & seeing more.

Paul Motter January 10th, 2012 04:52 PM

We are looking forward to more reports - hopefully soon. Jason is at he shipyard now and hopefully will give us an update tonight if he is not too worn out.

Jason Leppert January 11th, 2012 01:23 AM

Our hotel's internet connection was down last night, but I'm back with a couple of shots from the new Disney Fantasy at night.

We have yet to tour the actual ship. That is on today's agenda. Yesterday, we toured the shipyard facility and saw the Celebrity Reflection under construction.

Tonight, I will have much more to report on, but in the meantime, here are some new shots of the Disney Fantasy.

The ship's a beauty!

Oreodog January 11th, 2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Leppert (Post 1408815)
Disney Fantasy Floats Out from German Shipyard

Just hours ago today, the Disney Fantasy met water for the first time as it was floated out from the massive ship building warehouse at Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany. After final outfitting and crossing the Atlantic, the Disney Fantasy's maiden voyage is scheduled to make way on March 31, 2012.

Thank You so much for sharing this. It must have been quite the trip to see Sor. I followed the monthly progress of the Dream and sailed on her last April. Does not seem possible this new Fantasy is done. Those GFermans do QUALITY work. Congrats to Disney, Meyer-Werft and to you for shaing.
Grandma Carole in Florida

Jason Leppert January 12th, 2012 04:47 AM

My internet connection has been poor, but I've uploaded photos from yesterday's tour here: CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums - Jason Leppert's Album: Disney Fantasy Shipyard Visit (Construction Photos) I'll update my report later today.

Jason Leppert January 12th, 2012 09:55 AM

Yesterday we were treated to a first look onboard the new Disney Fantasy. We boarded the ship at the finishing dock at Meyer Werft just feet away from the massive warehouse where it was primarily assembled. The ship is still very much under construction, and the photos below are not entirely indicative of what the final product will look like.

Our tour began by walking up an industrial gangway and then climbing up a flight of stairs within the ship itself. Our first reveal of any of the ship's public interiors was the nearly completed gallery of shops that lead towards the Walt Disney Theatre.

We reversed, however, for the time being towards the main atrium of the ship. On the Fantasy, this space has been enlarged by removing some offices that were here on the Dream.

Here details like this beautiful mosaic are already in place.

Artisans are hard at work to finalize stairwell treatments.

Plus, whimsical character friezes.

It's the overall view that most impresses with the art nouveau colors and architectural flourishes.

The ceiling colors in these photos are particularly more vibrant than they will appear once the crystal chandelier is fully lit. Once illuminated, softer pastel colors consistent with the art nouveau styling will be revealed.

The colors will be truer in appearance to these on the exquisite floor.

We also took a peek at the Royal Court restaurant with its Disney princess inspired details.

The beginnings of the detailed scroll work in the flooring are very well crafted.

Wallpaper is more prevalent than the painted walls on Dream's restaurant counterpart.

The captain's table in the center of the dining venue has a raised ceiling with improved sight lines across the restaurant.

The room exudes a gentle chromatic purity.

While we were not given permission to photograph the installation of the high-tech Animator's Palate, the venue with its new Animation Magic show is sure to please. We were given a brief demonstration onsite that was very impressive. One of our Imagineer guides, Bob Zalk, posed with an example of the placemats where guests will draw their own character before seeing it come to life on screen later in the evening.

The adults-only area of the ship, Europa, is the farthest away from completion of any of the spaces we were shown.

The French champagne bar, Ooh La La, has some ceiling details that are coming along. In this photo the Disney Cruise Line president, Karl Holz, very proud of the new ship, can be seen taking it all in just as we are.

It's very difficult to imagine it now, but this will soon be the site of La Piazza carousel bar in the heart of Europa.

O'Gill's Pub is currently receiving it's faux finish ceiling paint.

Here you find the Skyline Bar with a frame in the background that will eventually receive a relief map.

And the currently very dark space with its bar equipment already in place. Skyline Bar is larger on this ship than on the Dream, having expanded into previously outdoor areas found on the sister ship.

The Union Jack inspired ceiling is about all that has made its way into The Tube nightclub thus far, but the space does appear nice and roomy.

Some of the signage has been installed too.

The most complete portion of Europa is actually the bathrooms featuring truly stunning Spanish-inspired mosaic work.

Jason Leppert January 12th, 2012 09:56 AM

The Walt Disney Theatre is the most finished space on the ship thus far as the production team has already begun preparing the venue for its repertoire of shows.

The technical wizards at Disney are well on their way to programming and rehearsing the new productions.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, the new princess and pirate makeover retail area, is just barely emerging from the rough space once used as meeting rooms on the Dream.

Hamm has a good eye on inspecting the construction in Andy's Room, just part of the massive kids area known as the Oceaneer Club.

And although dimly lit and full of boxes currently, Monster's Academy is really far along already.

The floral lighting fixtures in the Enchanted Garden restaurant, unlike the manual ones on the Dream, are now fully and automatically mechanized to open...

And close...

We also were presented some finished staterooms onboard that are mostly unchanged from the Dream's but will this time include an expanded list of Magical Porthole character animations on the longer 7-night voyages.

The bulk of the changes between the Dream and the Fantasy are apparent on the upper decks. Here, a space once only home to a bare stage is now home to a wading pool soon to include a unique water and fog feature as well as new canopy shade structures.

The most inventive use of space I have ever seen on a cruise ship is found on the forward portion of the upper deck where the usable amount of deck space was better outfitted with additional canopies and Satellite Falls the brand new adult-only wading pool that architecturally features and effectively disguises one of the bulbous television receivers. From the rim of the satellite drops a current of water that falls into a relaxing reclining pool.

The jovial Imagineer, Peter Ricci, demonstrates in the 'tropical' temperatures of Papenburg, Germany.

Small but very helpful changes like relocating the beverage and condiment station more centrally around the pool have also been made since the Dream.

While there is unfortunately nothing much to be seen of it yet, the Aqua Lab interactive water play area will be a major addition from the Dream that will further tell the backstory of the Aqua Duck in a fun new wet zone that has since displaced an underused bar found on the sister ship.

Finishing up, we were taken by the alternative restaurants onboard. Again, not much has changed, but the banquettes in Palo have been enlarged to facilitate more people.

The same modifications have been made to the banquettes at Remy.

Where the titular character greets those in crystal form adorning the light fixture.

Otherwise, the restaurant is the same with the only further addition being dividers added to the banquettes to better delineate dining parties.

Dividers have also been extended at the casual food court to better emphasize individual food stations and to avoid buffet style lines.

That's all for now folks. I hope you've enjoyed this tour of the Disney Fantasy under final construction.

Until next time...

Donna January 12th, 2012 03:42 PM

Ship is really comming to life, I love the colors they are using....Beautiful job!

Trip January 12th, 2012 05:15 PM

Jason, how lucky you are to have an insider's look at Disney's new baby, and how lucky we are, for you sharing it all with us!

She looks beautiful, and full of Disney's magic....Great pictures, thanks!

Jason Leppert January 17th, 2012 12:24 AM

Thanks everybody! It's my pleasure to share with you all!

DavidW January 24th, 2012 10:54 AM

Maiden Voyage

Hey, thanks for the great images os the Fantasy. Me, my wife and three kids are lucky enough to be going on the maiden voyage on March 31 and are really excited. Are any of you going on this voyage? Do you know if there are any other online forums or blogs where maiden voyagers can link up? If none of you are going, would you want feedback from someone who goes? Just let me know and i'd be glad to help. And to any of you going, can't wait to see you on the epic first cruise of this beautiful ship.

Jason Leppert January 26th, 2012 12:10 PM

Hey David,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photo preview. That's fantastic that you will have the opportunity to go on the maiden voyage. I'm not planning on being on the first sailing.

Feel free to start a post here to rally your fellow passengers who will be joining you on the inaugural.

And we'd love to hear from you afterwards. You could help us out a lot by posting a review here.

Enjoy your trip!

HawkeyeFLA January 26th, 2012 01:11 PM

I think I've decided that if Disney does buses again to take castmembers to Canaveral to wave and welcome this ship (Like we did for the Dream) I am going to do it. Just wish I had a bigger zoom lens for my digital camera. Ah well. Also keeping my fingers crossed for one of the shorter cast preview cruises (Again like done for Dream last year). There's rumors of it happening after her 2 7n shake downs and a TA preview cruise. *fingers and toes crossed*

cruiseclues January 27th, 2012 11:51 PM

We are so lucky to see these, and many more will see them, too. Great stuff!

Queen of Oakville January 29th, 2012 12:11 PM

Soooo excited! We're sailing Dream in 44 days ... and booked on Fantasy for 2013 Spring Break [yes, I'm anticipating that we will LOVE dream!]

Thanks for the pictures! Nice to see they've kept the toystory and monsters's play areas.