Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Adults sailing Disney without kids - weird?

My husband, I and the kids got back from a Disney cruise and were shocked and annoyed by the adults without kids. Here we are waiting in long lines for a character greeting and you have these "grownups" in front of you adding to the wait, with autograph books! Same thing with seats at the shows and the aquaduck. Everything is geared toward the kids which is why a Disney cruise is overpriced. I really don't get it. I actually think they believe it's real. Very odd.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a 40+ year old Disney fan, I am a little offended. I think you may have hurt my one feeling

I love the Disney experience and imerse myself in it when I go. My daughter is 15 and I assure you she could care less about Pricesses and Goofy. I however am the worlds biggest kid. I got my picture taken with Captain Jack, Minnie Mouse and Mickey Mouse. I buy a new Mickey Mouse watch on every trip. I pin trade at every opertunity and have quite a nice collection of pins of which Animal is my favorite!
Disney makes kids out of anyone that wants to be one. When I was a kid I wanted so badly to be grown up. Now I want to make up for that!
I have seen lines where those last kids are not going to get to see a charactor and I won't get in a line like that, but I will not miss a chance charactor meeting.

Disney ALWAYS has two things. Premium cost and lines.

I'm sorry you found adults that paid for the Disney experience an annoyance. Honest, were not trying to bug you, were just having a good time.

How did you like the rest of the ship? What ship did you sail on and what time of year?
I have a trip booked for next summer and can't wait. My wife and I booked it for our 21st anniversary. My daughter is going but I doubt I will see her any time accept dinner.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While a Disney cruise is the last place I would go with no kids, Disney has touted the adult only areas, for years, urging adults to come on and cruise. Many honeymooners go on these cruise...they have to be huge Disneyphiles in my mind..The adults in line could be getting the autographs for the kids in their family. The draw is befuddling I agree, but, I don't see a creep factor.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Captain

I went to Disney World without kids in January and though I much preferred Epcot it was still a good day. At some point I'll try Disney cruiseline and it will be fun, especially to those who are still kids at heart. (31 BTW)

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by min View Post
My husband, I and the kids got back from a Disney cruise and were shocked and annoyed by the adults without kids. Here we are waiting in long lines for a character greeting and you have these "grownups" in front of you adding to the wait, with autograph books! Same thing with seats at the shows and the aquaduck. Everything is geared toward the kids which is why a Disney cruise is overpriced. I really don't get it. I actually think they believe it's real. Very odd.
That is funny. At anything Disney I am prepared to wait a lot and not stress about it. I know of and have heard of adults that love to do anything Disney. Have to go every year for anniversary etc. It is an amazing land of make believe. However, I don't understand the appeal unless you have children along. So I am with you there. But those adult did pay for the same amenities you did. Some kids never grow up. They are probably giving the autographs to nieces and nephews.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am also a big Disney fan and looking to do WDW may-be next year, with or without kids....I don't find it strange in any way to see older people enjoying anything disney...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I believe Disney markets their ships and theme parks for families of all ages; with our without kids; Disney will take your money and make your experience wonderful. Everyone can have a good time. Getting Mickey Mouse's autograph is the same thing as getting a celebrity's autograph; people of all ages enjoy having their picture taken with Mickey. If Disney only allowed parents with kids into their theme parks or on their ships; they would loose a lot of people. Keep a happy face and glad you enjoyed your cruise.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Familiar Face

My wife would love to try Disney. I know she would love the autographs and the characters. Disney and Disneyland hold a lot of special memories for us. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in autographs and I think it would have to many children on board. So we have never tried it, but I know she would have a blast and feel like a kid again.
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I actually wrote a blog post about this today!

I'm a bit surprised to see people here saying that disney pushes its cruises to adults, I've not seen anything which indicates that.

As for adults who go on them: What's the harm really? If they like Disney and they're willing to spend their cash on it then what's the problem? I'm 23 and would kill to be able to go on a Disney cruise ( I'm basically a 10 year old at heart).
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'd like to try Disney off season. I have only sailed when my kid was out of school. Between my balcony and the adult areas I never got a kid overload.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Disney is for All kids, Young and Old

I grew up with Disneyland and have Disney in my blood so to say. My wife and I have 3 adult kids and 2 Grand Sons. We however love going on Disney cruises just alone the 2 of us. We also love getting pictures with the characters as we are a couple of characters ourselves though we do not go after autographs. To us, Disney can not be beat in all aspects of vacations and cruises. We look forward to our next cruise, a B2B Western and Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy in January.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

WOW nice!! I'd love to do B2B cruises on the Fantasy..

I'll settle for the single cruise I have though..

Old August 31st, 2012, 07:40 AM
Welcome Newcomer

i am also big fan of Disney, last time i was go to Disney park where i enjoy lot with kids and yes Disney is nothing without kids........................

vakantiehuis dordogne | vakantiehuizen dordogne
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I read the blog - it said "Disney is in Trouble" because the occupancy rate on Disney Dream slipped from 150% to a Disney average of 132% in 2011.

Considering the rest of the cruise industry average is about 103% - I don't see a problem.

Old November 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Creepy adults?

I am shocked that an adult would consider it creepy for other adults to enjoy their time on a Disney cruise. I love the characters and in my mid 40s. Would I keep a child away from seeing a character...Never! Disney cuts off the line at a particular time so it's up to the parent to make sure that they are IN line. It's not based upon who is in line in front of them.

Just like anything you get what you pay for! Disney is at a premium because of the quality they provide, the level of cleanliness and top notch customer service! They do not only cater to kids but also families of all kinds, even just two adults.

My partner and I have now been on 12 Disney cruises and expect to be on many many more! We enjoy our time and love watching everyone have an amazing time!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Welcome Newcomer

It makes me sad that someone would be so bothered by this that they would make a post about it. Who said Disney is just for children? Disney has been around for a really long time. With that being said, Walt started to build Disneyland in Florida I believe in 1954? With his cartoons such as Snow White done in 1937. Also, Disney replenishes their cartoons and brings them back - for example: My very first movie I went to see was when I was a preschooler in the early 1990's was Snow White! My wonderful grandmother took me to see it, and that is when I fell in love with Disney. My husband and I are taking our three great kids on the Disney Wonder next fall. Why? Because my husband's first movie he seen was Peter Pan, and we both have never experienced anything Disney before. My children also love Disney. Why I give these examples is because your post is implying grossly that Disney is JUST for kids, when in fact...Disney is for everyone. Disney has been around for a great while, meaning lots of us have grown to have Disney's entertainment be apart of their lives. There is absolutely nothing wrong with adults going on anything Disney. After this cruise, my husband and I plan on taking a Disney Cruise...just for us! It is very troubling that you feel that not everyone can enjoy Disney. Those adults standing in line paid high rates to be on that ship as well. If you have this attitude, you better change it fast or it will ruin any future Disney trips for you.

I hope you find peace in your next cruise adventure and enjoy it regardless who else is on the boat with you. (hugs)
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Here's my response to anyone that has issues with adults sailing Disney.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I went to Disney World without kids in January and though I much preferred Epcot it was still a good day. At some point I'll try Disney cruiseline and it will be fun, especially to those who are still kids at heart. (31 BTW)
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynesworth View Post
Ah Epcot. I'm there about once a week, if not more. But I get to all the parks on a regular basis no matter what. The Fantasyland expansion is amazing.

I'm 36 and just was on Dream. There was so much to do on that ship it's unreal. Stuff for families, stuff for couples, stuff for a single guy like me. The whiskey/whisky seminar let me try stuff I hadn't had before. The beer seminar didn't actually have any I hadn't already had ... including the ship's own 687 brew (Had tried some the very first night on the ship) but was an enjoyable experience with fellow beer lovers. Tequila tasting on the sea day let me enjoy another great spirit of mine with a passionate and informative host.

The service level is just beyond top notch. This was my 4th cruise and hands down the best I've been on. And I went in with very very high expectations, coming from a WDW hotel. I was never let down a single time. I'm hard pressed to consider sailing any other line now.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Hawkeye,
There are so many places to stay in WDW and since you are there often, what would you recommend?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Since the original poster has not been back I would call it a "drive-by" post.

A lot of grown-ups love Disney, including my wife. Plus I have been on the ships myself and I think they are great, and NOT just for kids. The shows are fantastic no matter what age you are, and the "kids" portions are separate from the adults so there is nothing creepy about adults going on Disney ships.

Let's just call her a "nut case" and leave it at that.

Old December 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hi Hawkeye,
There are so many places to stay in WDW and since you are there often, what would you recommend?
It really comes down to your budget and desires. Each resort is themed differently and has different things to offer. Honestly, just like cruising, I would suggest a good Travel Agent. AAA tend to have some good ones for planning Disney packages. She's in like PA, but I do know a really good an knowledgeable on with tons of Disney experience.

Past cruises:

Old December 27th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
Here's my response to anyone that has issues with adults sailing Disney.

HAHA. I love it!! I'm so jealous!!
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTcruiser View Post
HAHA. I love it!! I'm so jealous!!
Thanks. It was a great cruise. 4 nights is never long enough tho. Going to see what I can do to sneak a 7n in for 2013, but with a 4n and a 5n hopeful, we shall see. I want to do Wonder out of Miami for my birthday in April, and then some friends are booked on Magic's first sailing out of Miami ... might try and join them. We shall see. Might pass on Magic and just aim for 7n on Fantasy. In the end for me it would end up costing about the same, because of having to drive to Miami and possibly paying for parking. For Fantasy out of Canaveral I have easy access to someone dropping me off and picking me up.

Past cruises:

Old January 10th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Familiar Face

Another big Disney fan, with my kids or without them, I would always sail
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Admiral

My husband and I have taken many Disney cruises and a few alone. We always felt it was very nice for just adults as well. We just booked another cruise on the Disney Dream for September 22nd! It will be our 30th wedding anniversary and felt this was the best way to escape into warmer weather now that we live in New England again <husband works in Boston> I do not think its creepy to be on the ship without kids. The adult only area and the spa is a wonderful place. There are many kids but they never bothered us as we always found a place to be without them. We booked a balcony so we are planning on some peaceful time there as well.
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Captain

As Walt himself said it " ...for kids of all ages..." I worked for Disney for years and it was the best time of my life. You will never take the "kid" out of a Disney fan. I suggest you try to find it in you!!!!!

Quote:
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14

Legend of the Seas; 04/16/2014; Booked
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Admiral

You are so right. We love Disney Cruises ! The fact they have awesome shows is a bonus as well
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Well, I'd start out by saying that you are entitled to your opinion. But I do have to ask some questions.

Does it matter who's in line in front of you? I look at a line for something and think "Hmmm... forty people/family groups in line." And I'm either prepared to wait that long, or I'm not, regardless of if that line is filled up with families with young children, grown couples, old people, people with beards, fat guys in unwashed t-shirts, or martians. At a Disney function, I'd anticipate seeing a lot of children, but certainly wouldn't be surprised, or offended, to see couples without them.

So is your problem with those people, or with the concept of waiting in line? If you're bothered by waiting in line generally, Disney events are probably something you should second guess. If your problem is with those childless couples, I would suggest that you find something else to focus on, because you're clearly far too concerned with what everyone else is doing.

I personally believe that if you're a Disney person, you're a Disney person, regardless of age. And if I were at any kind of a Disney event(I've attended several), the only childless adult that raises any kind of concern for me is the greasy hooded guy sitting alone touching himself as he looks at little kids. My opinion is that the kid ahead of me, who's been screaming at the top of his lungs for the past 20 minutes, and his uninterested parents who are ignoring him, are a bigger problem for me than the kindly, young-at-heart couple without their children who want a nice picture with Goofy for the "Memories" album.
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Me! No pics with Goofy.... He flirts with my daughter