Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

Old January 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Familiar Face

Default Using Xamarin while on the cruise...

Okay so I'm going on my first cruise in July and was wondering if there is WiFi (may sound like a lame question to some) but I also have a deadline for an app I'm working on and was working if I'd be able to get online while on the ship??
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

What is the point of working while you are on a cruise? Especially since it is your first cruise ever? That is not going to be fun. I am sure, though, that it will work. Goodluck to you and hope you have "fun"
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Familiar Face

Well I'm not going to get to where I'm going by not prioritizing deadlines for work that make going on cruises possible if you know what I mean.

Xamarin makes it easy though so making time to work on my app won't be too much of a chore.
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, there is wifi on the ships. The quality and speed will differ from ship to ship. Royal Caribbean is rolling out a true high speed Internet connection that is close to land speeds.

Older Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, etc. will be sub-megabit so don't plan on using heavy bandwidth. Uploads and downloads will take a while and you are charged by the minute (you can also buy packages of minutes for less) so if you have large megabyte or gigabyte files you might as well forget it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamebumper View Post
Well I'm not going to get to where I'm going by not prioritizing deadlines for work that make going on cruises possible if you know what I mean.
Well you can actually squeeze in some time for work since most of the cruisers does it all the time. There are areas specifically for using your laptop and WiFi is definitely available.