Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:09 AM
John Edwards

Default Transfers from Gatwick to Dover

We need to get from London/Gatwick to cruise pier in Dover for embarkation and return with Celebnty Cruises "Constellation" in May. Should we purchase transfers from the cruise line if available? Since there will be 6 of us how about hiring a car/van? Train?
Never departed from Dover before so any info will be helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Transfers from Gatwick to Dover

The train system is excellent and very moderate in cost. Your local bookstore should have maps and schedules. Purchasing round trip tickets is a savings too. We went directly from Heathrow to Victoria Station and then took a train directly to Dover.

It looks like there are no elevators (lifts) in the train stations but there really are, they're just hidden. You'll need the lifts with your luggage.

In Dover take the double decker bus tour and visit Dover Castle if you have time. It's fun to see and has lovely views of the area.
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Donna Hill

Default Re: Transfers from Gatwick to Dover

Hi John,

We overnighted in London after our flight prior to taking the train to Dover. We usually fly Delta, so we fly into/out of Gatwick. There is a Gatwick Express train that is about 11 pounds or so per person that you take into Victoria Station in London from the airport. The trains do run from Victoria Station to Dover (sometimes you have to transfer to another station), but keep in mind that Victoria Station is large but you can surely find a porter to assist, if needed.

Here's a great link for Europe train schedules, but you'll actually find that the trains run between London and Dover more frequently than the schedule shown here: http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fa...ules/index.htm. I'm really into independent travel, so I like taking the train and visiting with the locals en route, but the car or transfers may be more convenient for you all as a group. I think it's all just preference.

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Mary Ann

Default Re: Re: Transfers from Gatwick to Dover

HI, This summer we went on the Constellation. We flew into Gatwick. I had transfers through Celebrity, but it was going to be a 3 hour wait for the bus! My hubby rented a car and it took 45 minutes to get to the ship.

The car rental place in Dover is almost within walking distance to the ship (almost). We had a free drop off at dover and the cab was waiting for us at the car rental place there. I would suggest you rent a Van.

By the way, if you don't ask for it, you will get a manual trans, not auto. Fortunately, hubby knows how to drive a manual!

good luck!

Mary Ann
Old October 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Dover Taxi - Airport and cruise transfers

We found them to be very reliable and reasonably priced.