Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Default Parents of teens - how much freedom?

How much freedom do you give your teens onboard? I want to know where, when and who with, with frequent check-in times. He wants to be totally left alone, and not even sleep in our cabin - prefers hanging out in the lounges with friends. I trust him, but there's always one in the group.... How safe are teens "on the loose" and how much security is there?

donna

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Parents of teens - how much freedom?

Donna

A lot depends on how old your teen is. We just got back from a week on the Inspiration with our three children, 10, 12 & 15. We brought walkie talkies (4 Cobra 5 mile range) with us. Each child had one and one for my husband and I. They had to check in every hour by walkie talkie and every two hours in person. The kids had their own cabin right next to ours. They had to be in at eleven, unless they were with us (I brought a "baby" monitor and set it up in their room so I would know what was going on in there). We all had breakfast and dinner together each day and watched the shows together. During times in port we were always together. The two girls (12 & 15) tended to stay together for the most part. My son (10) was either at the pool or in the game room. He met another boy his age at the pool and the two of them stuck together. This was the second cruise we took with them so they had the routine down as we did the same thing last year. Hope this helps.

Darcy
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Passenger

How old of a teen?

I noticed a big change with my cruise last nov. vs a cruise with my teens 3 years ago. I noticed information that parents are held responsible for their children's activities , and I think even though there were 1,000 kids on our sailing , I never saw groups of kids acting in any destructive or unruly (?--- jeez that makes me sound old ) manner. I think the security is higher than it used to be .

I dont think a few check in 's is asking to much , and I dont think that asking your son to sleep in his cabin is too much also .
It sounds like he wants some freedom, and a ship is a great place to allow him some within the limits you feel comfortable with.

The nights when there are shore excursions the next day you may regret allowing him to stay up until daylight--

Well, here are my personal thoughts -- if he's not a young teen. Let him decide when to go to bed , make sure he knows the plans for the next day and what time he needs to be up. YOu may want to go over stuff that isnt a good idea -- like roughhousing, destroying property -- but im guessing he knows this already. YOu might discuss the alcohol issue, or consequences of using drugs. Same stuff as at home .

There isnt too much to do on a ship late at night other than hang around and talk. I really dont think the same rules apply as at home -- the "who" "where" "what " thing --- If you trust him at home, he's not going to change on the ship -- I wouldnt make a huge deal about the check ins --- its not that easy to keep track of the time if youre on vacation

One thing I loved about cruising with my teens was the fact I could give them this kind of freedom, and it always crossed my mind were I on a land vacation I'd never let them have it --

Have a great trip
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Admiral

we cruised in February --2 familes with 3 teens between us -13,15, and 17. They pretty much hung out together which was great. We saw them at meal times, would run into them around the ship on sea days, did shore excursions together. If there was something they wanted to do at night they would let us know where they were going. They did have a 1am curfew. We went on Princess and the hot tubs/pools are open 24hrs - this is where they ended up most nights if they didn't take in a comdey show or play in the arcade.
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Admiral

My son is 15, almost 16 and fairly quiet and responsible. As I said, I trust him, just afraid of who else he might meet. He does not want to go on shore excursions, but be left to do "his own thing". Our one rule is that he get up and out of the cabin in the morning so that it can be cleaned for the day. Last cruise we'd return to the cabin at 1pm and he'd still be in bed! I told him he could go sleep in a deck chair the next day if he wants to stay out all night!

donna

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Passenger

I've noticed on cruises -- maybe this is a wrong impression -- but everyone seems like they came from the same suburb -- People who take cruises on RCI will be like your friends at home -- not much diversity that i can ever see.

I would not worry about who your son hangs out with -- these kids who cruise have parents who care enough about them to take them on vacation with them.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Admiral

There is nothing wrong letting him "do his own thing" but there are times when you need to do things as a family also --For me personally i would be a little leary of leaving a 15 almost 16yr old alone on the ship while you were off in port, what if something happened to him while you were off exploring an island, or visa -versa?? I am sure you could find an excursion that would be fun, interesting and a new experience, and if he makes some new friends you could all go as a group on a tour. I think that you must have some way to communicate with eachother while on the island - 2 way radios with a 5 mile radius might be your answer. I have a 17 yr old son, so i know exactly what you are going through. Another thought- could he bring a friend to cruise with? I know its short notice for you but it could make things easier on you and dear J.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Admiral

I think it all depends upon your teens....you are better to judge them as their parent.

Our daughter, who was 10, went on our last cruise in March on the Carnival Inspiration. We gave her a walkie talkie to use and let her explore the ship, enjoy the kids programs, etc...and told her she had to be back at certain times (ie for dinner, if she wanted to see a show, etc...). If she wasn't back when specified then we would have kept a really close watch on her but she proved to be very responsible for her age.....She even met a friend in the kids program and they hung out alot! Of course on port days we did excursions together and we never left her on the ship alone. She always knew where we were and vice versa and she actually learned the ships layout very fast!! She had her Camp Carnival listing and she just stayed busy.

On our next cruise (RCL Mariner of the Seas) which is twice the size of the last ship we were on she'll probably be fine too. But I still will have rules and times we'll have to meet or be together. I believe you can have fun and let them explore and do their own thing with limits.

When she gets to be in the teenager I'm sure she'll also want to do her own thing even more...but I'd still want to do the "family" stuff (ie dining together-some shore excursions) also. Afterall it is a family trip we're taking when we go on a cruise anyways and we want to spend alot of time together but also allow her to explore and start getting her independence.....

I don't think I'd ever leave her alone during a shore excursion (shore excursions and dining were basically our only family time!) because I wouldn't want anything to happen to her when I'm not there and I wouldn't know if I'm off the ship. Guess that is just the over protective Mom in me.

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

My son is 14, we eat together and do excursions together. He goes off on his own at times during sea days, but usually not for the whole day. We spend most of our time together. I bring two-way radios to keep in touch.

Post Edited (05-14-04 10:23)

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Admiral

As his parent, you know him better than anyone, but no contact for long periods of time would make me uneasy.

My teen had his freedom, but had check-in times, too. He ended up spending more time with me than I really thought he would.

It's not about trust, but about situations that might arise. Teens are still, well, TEENS and as parents we can't expect them to know what to do in every situation. I think knowing where your son is and being able to check-in with each other is important.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Passenger

I guess I'm old-fashioned. We are going on our first cruise with our 13 and 14 year old this summer, and the rule will be that they can do what they want to do during the day, but they must report for dinner, unless they've cleared other plans with us. Then they can do what they would like until about 11; staying out all night would *not* be an option! We have already bought walkie-talkies for them, and will check in with them periodically. We have two family excursions planned. They may choose to do other things (such as a teen excursion) at the other two ports, but they will not be allowed to stay on the ship while we are at port.

Oh, and the first time they are found to be doing something inappropriate (and that includes silly stunts like riding up and down in the elevators, which causes delays for the other passengers) they will lose a lot of their privileges.

This is my first cruise, so I don't know what to expect, but it **really** bugs me when I see parents who don't take responsibility for supervising their kids. I see this at the malls often... kids who are left their by their parents who are running around, rough-housing and being, at best disruptive and, at worst, colliding with other patrons. I don't see "But, it is his/her/our vacation" as being an excuse for not supervising the teens. It is also everyone else's vacation, and, these are not their kids and their responsibility... but mine.

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Old May 15th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Passenger

We are going on a cruise in June with our boys that range in age from 17 - 12. Our rule so far is that they will have to check in before meal times. Attend all excursions with us and attend the first formal night and one other night (birthday for son turning 17).

We have not made any other rules because this will be our first cruise as a family but we will more than likely set a a curfew for the older 2 (17 & 15) and the younger 2 (both 12) to be a little different. Or maybe the same. Who knows.

From reading these message boards, I feel the best thing to do is go with the flow. See who the kids want to hang with, meet those kids and then set limits, if neccessary.

Any suggestions or ideas with what we have planned?
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
stuff&things

Group of 20 going - 12 of which are kids and 8 of those teens. We have set fairly strict rules between the four families. In cabins by 10:00 and 11:00 depending on age, in port every kid is with parents, do not leave your drink or turn your back on it, older teen boys to watch after young ladies in discos and just out and about, walkie-talkies with each person, eating suppers with parents each night, will have check-in times during day and evening, no going to anyone else's cabin, no bringing anyone to your cabin, and those are both with the exception of our group's cabins although within our group, no girls in boy's cabins and vice versa, no giving out personal information without parental approval. Any foolishness (ie: cruising the elevators, running on decks, etc...) means lost privileges. All rules are up for re-evaluation once on board. We felt it better to start strict and possibly be able to loosen up than the other way. The old - "Don't smile before Thanksgiving" addage as many of us are teachers. Cruise ships should be considered no more or less safe than the rest of the world. There is too much that could too easily happen with little or no way to know when or where.

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:18 PM
gatesds

Default Re: Re: Parents of teens - how much freedom?

I have been debating on which cruise line to do with our family. My husband and I have been on Princess twice for Canada/Alaska itinerary and we did Carnival Paradise with the kids two years ago for E. Carib. Princess has better food, nicer decor, but didn't seem to have the fun "vibe" going on for the kids. Did your kids enjoy Princess. Were there bands or music around the pools?

Thanks,
Dalene
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Dalene, our kids loved Princess- we sailed on the Golden- go for the Grand Class ships - bigger with more stuff and things for kids to do.Princess has a great kids program. Our teens loved the Arcade, mini-golf, basketball, ping-pong , pool and hot tubs.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Admiral

As I have read all your posts..I realize that all of you are Great Moms...You should all get together and let your kids run together..I promise after reading your post..There would be not one problem..Sounds like well family orientated MOMS..that's what makes Mothers So SPECIAL..Keep up the good work with your famlies and all will be well..
RollerD..I have seen pics of your son..and he looks like a very Mature Young Man..I dont think he will give you any problems..LOTS of good advice here though. Ga Day Mates.

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Passenger

So, here is the difference between being the mom and being the dad...I think the kids (2 fairly responsible 15 year old girls) need to check in every 2-3 hours, and eat dinner with us every night but the one my wife and I are dining in the Norwegian Star's Le Bistro, and will be doing the " family shore excursion" in Acapulco, otherwise they may come and go as they please until curfew(1am). My wife wants them to check in every hour, wants to know who they are with, what they are doing, etc. The kids know that the penalty for doing the wrong things is that they get to spend every waking hour with us. Having been on a few cruises, I have noticed that teens for the most part do not get in too much trouble, because the majority of the parents are like us, and do take the time to make sure that our kids are not getting into trouble, and do take care of it when it happens. By the way my wife has seen the light and now sees that every 2-3 hours is okay for checking in.

Cruising the Norwegian Star
12/15/04

Bill

Post Edited (09-07-04 20:32)
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Yeoman

Wow, Do all you parents who let your kids have 1 am curfews do that at home? I guess I can see it with a teen over 16, but I think that is very late for the younger teens.
I know it's a vacation, but isn't 10 or 11 late enough for a 12- 15 yr old?
'My son is almost 14and there is no way I'd let him wander the ship till 1 am. What earth would they be doing, plus they would be hanging out with much older kids.
Another important factor is kids sleeping in till noon, when in port, what a WASTE! I guess on sea days it's not such a big factor, then I'd be more lenient, but I still say they can sit in their cabin and watch a movie,after say, 11.
Am I that old fashioned or what??
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Admiral

I agree 1am is pretty late for even a teenager over 16. I guess my parents were strick in that I had to be home by midnight when I was over 16.

Now on our last cruise our 10 yr old was allowed to do her thing with her friends and go to camp carnival etc..however we had to know where she was all the time and we used walkie talkies if we needed to get in touch with each other. She also was required to be to the cabin by 10pm. Now they did have a slumber party til 3am and she did that and then came back to the cabin at 3am and went to bed. That was the only exception.

Old July 28th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Passenger

pg wrote: Wow, Do all you parents who let your kids have 1 am curfews do that at home? I guess I can see it with a teen over 16, but I think that is very late for the younger teens.
I know it's a vacation, but isn't 10 or 11 late enough for a 12- 15 yr old?
'My son is almost 14and there is no way I'd let him wander the ship till 1 am. What earth would they be doing, plus they would be hanging out with much older kids.
Another important factor is kids sleeping in till noon, when in port, what a WASTE! I guess on sea days it's not such a big factor, then I'd be more lenient, but I still say they can sit in their cabin and watch a movie,after say, 11.
Am I that old fashioned or what??

We recently got back from Alaska. Our kids are 13 and 14. Originally, I had set an 11 o'clock curfew, but our ship really did have structured activities for that age group until 1:30, so I loosened up. I must admit, I was very anxious about it, and I was uncomfortable not knowing where they were so late, so we bought a stack of stickipads. After 10:00, they needed to let me know where they were. If they couldn't find us, they were to leave a note on a sticky pad, attached to the television. Similarly, I left notes for them about where to find us, or any special directions (like "Meet us at the buffet at 12:00 midnight!")

We never had trouble finding them when we wanted them. An added benefit was that my son, who tends to be a bit shy, had a great time with his group of friends, who he often didn't get to see during the day, because they were off doing things with their parents.

Sheila

Old July 28th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Yeoman

Sheila, I guess if there are structured activities that would be different.
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

You're not too strict, pg. You may be on the "stricter" end of the scale (as am I), but you are certainly not off the scale.

If there are structured activities, I'm OK with a later curfew, but young teens just aimlessly roaming the ship after 11 pm is recipe for trouble, if you ask me.

There were not a lot of teens onboard that were my son's age (they were mostly older), so he didn't really *want* to be out late with friends. We are both night owls and so stayed out pretty late, but together.

I like the sticky note system, Shelia. We used it with our room steward, but I think might try it for our family on our next cruise!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:29 AM
I Cruise

We were on the 22nd sailing on the Victory to Halifax last week. Wonderful time, food, service and shows etc. But, the kids, all ages had the worst behavior I have ever seen on any of my cruises. Running the hallways, throwing ice, playing on elevators, rude to passengers and just pushing on buffet lines. I could go on. Not a parent in site. Teens in groups traveling around the ship at 2am alone. Staff and officers saw all of this and did nothing that I could see. Many people we met said they would not return to cruise on Carnival. They really need to correct this. My children always enjoyed the kids/teen programs on all our cruises. This time is was way out of control.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Passenger

"I cruise" wrote: We were on the 22nd sailing on the Victory to Halifax last week. Wonderful time, food, service and shows etc. But, the kids, all ages had the worst behavior I have ever seen on any of my cruises. Running the hallways, throwing ice, playing on elevators, rude to passengers and just pushing on buffet lines. I could go on. Not a parent in site. Teens in groups traveling around the ship at 2am alone. Staff and officers saw all of this and did nothing that I could see. Many people we met said they would not return to cruise on Carnival. They really need to correct this. My children always enjoyed the kids/teen programs on all our cruises. This time is was way out of control.

It is unfortunate that the kids behaved badly.

That really wasn't true on our cruise. I never saw any of the kids misbehaving like that.

There was a large group of about 50 16-18 year olds on our trip, though, who we called "The Herd" (because they moved in a mass from one place to another). Apparently, their parents have sent them on a month-long trip, which included this trip to Alaska and a cruise to Hawaii. Even they weren't really misbehaving. They didn't **quite** understand the concept of formal night, and it could be intimidating to be sitting in an area and have all 50 of them descend upon you en masse, but there was none of the roughhousing or such that you refer to. (I do have a wonderful picture of about 15 of them asleep on Capt. Larry's boat.... I wonder if their parents understand that they spent all that money for a place to sleep!)

Sheila

Old August 6th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Passenger

pg-no, my kids have an 11:00 curfew during the summer and a 10:00 curfew during the school year. I believe that the curfew on board the ship should be later as some of the teen programs do have things for them to do. The kids know that I or their mom must know what they are doing that late and where they are going to be, etc.

Cruising the Norwegian Star 12/15/04

Bill

Post Edited (08-06-04 11:00)
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Takefive

I'm a long time cruiser and have two sons 17 and 8. While many of you seem like great parents and at home the curfews are tottaly in place, a cruise is a horse of a diffrent color. On our first cruise with our older son we told him in the cabin by 1130...he was 15 at time..we quickly learned that this was overkill as the disco didnt start until 11. While he is older then a lot of your teens i would say 1-2 is right for younger teens and to allow older kids basically free reign of the ship at night as nothin worse will happen at 1 then it will at 3. As long as your teens get up for the early excursion cut them some slack and allow them to go out at night. Trust me if they see all the other teens haveing a blast and they are stuck in bed they'll wreck your cruise too.
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We went on the Ecstasy in June. Our sons were 17, 16. I was really worried about what rules to set up, but after seeing all the programs that did not start until later, I allowed them to be wise. We saw them at dinner, and on shore days, but they did there own thing. They would come to our cabin, and check in, when we didn't ask for it. lol After about a day and a half, I felt more comfortable. We did find the 16year old in the hot tub with a young girl that didn't have enough on, but that is just a mom's oppinon.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:12 AM
kymm

i have two teen girls (15 and 16) and i have been on 3 cruises with them. the latest cruise was in july on the carnival conquest. the girls had their own cabin next to mine and i felt completely comfortable on our past 3 cruises letting them stay out until 2am, but this past cruise i decided to let them stay out as late as they wanted, because they are older and more responsible. they usually stayed out until around 2 or 3 in the morning. all i asked of them was to let me know what time they were in their room by calling my me when they were about to go to sleep. they went on family excursions while the ship was in port and ate dinner with me and my husband. we had a lot of nice family time while in port, and it was also nice to seperate from them and let them do their own things since we all don't agree on the same activities. my girls met a lot of nice friends that we met once when we saw them around the ship. i think that if you trust your children at home and they are well behaved, its fine to let them do whatever they want. this is their vacation too and i believe that they are safe on a cruise ship, i would much rather have them hanging out on a ship late at night than driving around town at home. when my girls are at home their curfew is 1 am and i thought that since this was a vacation and a time to have fun and since they were older, that they should be old enough and responsible enough to decide for themselves what time they wanted to go in, but i required that they stay together. that was no problem since they were are best friends. each parent has different rules and expectations, but i just want to remind you all of what you were like as being a teenager and how much freedom you wanted from your parents. if you trust your children at home, you should be able to trust them on a cruise ship. happy cruising!!!
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Admiral

1 am curfew? In Atlanta there are county imposed curfews that teens must abide by. I'm surprised there are no curfews where you live, kymm. Maybe these curfews are reserved for larger cities.

In any case, I wouldn't let my teen stay out later on a cruise than I am willing to be awake. Going to sleep before he was back in the cabin would not be an option for me as a parent. It's MY vacation, too and I don't want the 2 am call waking me to let me know he is safely "home".

Fortunately for my teen, I'm a night owl...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:29 AM
Passenger

OK, I'm a 16 year old teen girl. I'm very practical, responsible, etc. A good kid. But I'm not a prissy dork either, so what I'm saying should apply to most of your kids, if that makes any sense.

I went on a cruise when I was 14. My parents, who give me a midnight curfew at home, allowed me to stay out until 2. They are neither over protective nor completely lax ( example- they gave their 14 year old daughter a 2am curfew, but still punished her when she disobeyed it one night). Even though I hung out with older kids who were allowed to stay out even later than me, on most nights, I wasn't missing much by going in at 2. By the time the disco closes, we are just hanging around and talking.

The earliest curfew I'd recommend for a kid over 14 would be 1. 2 or 3 would probably be more realistic. I know this may be hard to accept for parents, but think about it. Your kid will most likely be "hanging out." You may as well earn points with him/her by giving a late curfew because it's not like they are going to get in a car with a drunk driver or something. Trust me, they'll love you for it and you'll llook like Mr. Cool because you let them stay out late, even though they probably aren't even doing anything bad.

In response to stuff&things, all I have to say is good luck. Some of your conditions, such as check in times, and dinner and ports with family are realistic. However, giving kids RULES about not going in other cabins, not giving out personal information, 11 pm curfew might not go over so well. How are you planning on enforcing that? If my parents told me that, I would just roll my eyes/ get POed. Sure, they might come in at 11 like you tell them to, but unless none of their friends are allowed to stay out late either (which may be the case if they only hang out with the kids in your group, but I doubt that) they will be pretty cranky with you.

BASIC FORMULA- DINNER AND MAYBE BREAKFAST WITH FAMILY+ EXCURSIONS WITH FAMILY+ CHECK-INS A FEW TIMES A DAY+ A 1-3 AM CURFEW= HAPPY TEEN=HAPPY PARENTS.