Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Default Baby monitor or walkie talkies?

Does anyone know what the range is for a baby monitor on a cruise ship? I was thinking of buying one of the new digital baby monitors, and setting it up in our room to keep tabs on our baby as she naps.

I wanted to know if it would work if I was across the hall in another cabin, or even on another floor (so that I can listen in when she's with the baby sitter).

Or would a walkie talkie be a better choice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yeoman

The walkie talkie will only work if someone is on the other end to receive your message. If you want to hear what's going on, then you'd have use a baby monitor which doesn't have as much range. The monitor will probably (can't guarantee) work between cabins very close by. I just don't know how comfortable I'd feel leaving the baby alone in the cabin since crew can get in the cabin at will since they have keys (room steward, mini bar staff, etc.). I often brought work I could do on our private verandah deck and either used the monitor or left the verandah door open to hear the baby.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Baby monitor or walkie talkies?

Why not let kiddo conch out in a nearby stoller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet2003
Does anyone know what the range is for a baby monitor on a cruise ship? I was thinking of buying one of the new digital baby monitors, and setting it up in our room to keep tabs on our baby as she naps.

I wanted to know if it would work if I was across the hall in another cabin, or even on another floor (so that I can listen in when she's with the baby sitter).

Or would a walkie talkie be a better choice?

Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Beginner

hi ,

this is dilip. i saw your quote and came to know that u wanna know about baby Moniters. so i searched for you and got the following url.please check it out this will prove useful to u.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/fa...nitor-reviews/.

For any comments or request you are most welcome.

Thank you
Dilip
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Beginner

Highly recommend this one http://safebabymonitors.com/video-baby-monitors.html ...... I bought the Intermediate, works really well
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Yeoman

Please let us know what you did and how it worked out!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Beginner

Default Baby monitor in Cruise

Baby monitor use a radio signal to transfer the video message, the signal always in 2.4GHz frequency spectrum. Generally speaking, baby monitor can use in 30-50 meters in house, the signal can through some barrier but can't through a metal wall in my opinion, so if you want to use a wireless video baby monitor in cruise, the mission success rate depends on the barrier type.
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
First Mate

Monitor worked to the next door cabin last year on EoS. I would think across the hall wouldn't be that much more of a stretch. Remeber cabins are these pod type pre-fab structures that get inserted into the decks.

There is some serious logistics to consider whan cruising with a little one and accomidating nap times and sleeping arrangments in general. Been there done that....no t-shirt.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yeoman

Yes, when cruising with a little one, you should keep in mind that you can't always do what you want to do when you want to do it. However, that's the case when you are home too. Just make sure you change your expectations and you'll have a good cruise.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise editor
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgaynor View Post
Yes, when cruising with a little one, you should keep in mind that you can't always do what you want to do when you want to do it. However, that's the case when you are home too. Just make sure you change your expectations and you'll have a good cruise.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise editor
I have posted a few weeks ago about bringing a 10 month old on board the NCL Jewel. Most responses have been positive- anything you can add, especially about NCL policies? is there a contact to email at NCL about babies as well?
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Admiral

If you contemplate leaving a baby alone in your stateroom while you gallivant around the ship, just don't!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
If you contemplate leaving a baby alone in your stateroom while you gallivant around the ship, just don't!!
I couldn't agree with you more on this one. We routinely travel with our kids and are frequently shocked at the number of people that leave small children in cabins alone, etc. Why they can't figure out that this is not safe is totally beyond me. While I am hoping that this is not what the OP means, but rather that they'd like to keep an ear on the childcare provider, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

We know that travel with our infant is different from travel without her and you know what? It doesn't matter, you make it work.

To answer the OP, we have better luck with our walkie talkies and if you get good ones they may have a feature whereby they are activated by sound without having to press the buttons to hear one another. We have had very good success with our Cobra's, even between the Lido and deck 2 or 3.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010