Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Default flu:will you take small children on cruise?

I was wondering what other families are doing with this flu situation. We are booked for a may 16th 5 nite cruise that will go to to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We have a 5 year old and I am concerned about being on a crowded ship with a child who will probably put her fingers in her mouth inadvertantly. RC will not drop rebooking penalties.

What are other families doing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yeoman

WHile this has to be your personal decision, I am not one to panic and cancel travel. I figure that I have as great a chance of some mishap/disease here at home in the NY-NJ metropolitan area as I do on the road.

Perhaps you should carry lots of Purel around to keep cleaning your child's hands rather than cancel the cruise. Ultimiately, though, it has to be your decision and what you're most comfortable with.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Admiral

We are taking our 7 month old granddaughter. Her mom is a nurse and is not worried especially since our itinerary was changed to the Pacific Coast. We are just glad to get away.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgaynor
WHile this has to be your personal decision, I am not one to panic and cancel travel. I figure that I have as great a chance of some mishap/disease here at home in the NY-NJ metropolitan area as I do on the road.

Perhaps you should carry lots of Purel around to keep cleaning your child's hands rather than cancel the cruise. Ultimiately, though, it has to be your decision and what you're most comfortable with.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
I agree with you. We live in NY state but are currently in England visiting family. Both countries have the flu. I can be an overanxious parent (my six month old is our first) but I also take the view that you can't stop living just because of fear. He could contract the flu anywhere I guess... I'll just have to be extra careful.
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Passenger

I did take my 2 children, ages 6 months at the time and 7 years, with me on 2 cruises in May, when swine flu was first being reported. My kids were fine. I'm also not one to panic, but I am VERY germophobic. I'm a healthcare worker and hand hygiene is something that I do habitually, and have taught my older son and dh. Just teach the kids to wash, wash, wash and keep lots of hand sanitizer with you. WE had our own bottles in the stroller, diaper bag, etc. and used the ships' hand stations constantly. If the kids wash their hands before eating, it will cut down on the incidence of illness. Good luck!
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

Myself and my husband are from England and currently live in NY state. Dan (husband) booked a Carnival Eastern Caribbean cruise for us, my parents and our 6 month old baby. It was fine despite the strong sun etc. We were very prepared in terms of baby sunblock etc. The flu thing is over NY, England and everywhere so my point of view was that if God wanted to take my little one it could happen anywhere, but that's just me hun, I'm am optimist.
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Handsanitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoper View Post
I was wondering what other families are doing with this flu situation. We are booked for a may 16th 5 nite cruise that will go to to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We have a 5 year old and I am concerned about being on a crowded ship with a child who will probably put her fingers in her mouth inadvertantly. RC will not drop rebooking penalties.

What are other families doing?

Thanks
I prefer to go in cruise with full family, but you should take precaution regarding health. You should have proper protection such as Respirator, Gloves, Handsanitizer etc in order to protect from flues and bacteria that affects virally. If you are having all precautionary things with you then there is no harm going to cruise.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Admiral

My kids are 5 and 3. We sailed a few months back on Eurodam and the were preparing for a noro outbreak. The cruiselines handle this quite well. They stop all access to food service utensils/drinks etc. and have crew stationed at all these areas, including those dispensing hand sanitizer at the entrances.

I was soooooo worried that my kids would get something, but we were fine.

I will note that I am a fanatic with the hand sanitizer, and was santizing them constantly!.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991