Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:12 AM
Familiar Face

Default Cruising with 13 month old

Good Morning,

We will be sailing with our 13 month old son in the fall and looking for any must have items to bring and other useful tips.

We have a balcony stateroom and I am worried about bringing him out on it... I just have irrational fears of him falling over. Also considering bringing a monitor so we can hear him wake up from a nap while we are on balcony. Has anyone done this? *sigh* one more thing to pack...

We plan on flying in the day before and doing some shopping there for items like diapers, wipes, disposable bibs, sun screen, blow up pool and sand bucket/toys, etc.

We have sailed on the Oasis (pre-baby) before, so I am familiar enough with the ship.

Stops: Bahamas, St Martin & St Thomas. Any tips for what to do on land? We have never been to Bahamas, but have been to the other islands. Hoping for something we can walk to or get on a shuttle for to avoid getting in a cab. Is there a beach within walking distance in St Martin? We were on the other side the last time and just did a beach break excursion. Not sure if we even want to get off the ship at this port.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As far as I recall all of the Oasis balconies have glass all the way to the ground, so there is no way he could fall over unless he is a climber and you leave a chair and table just right.

That would certainly be a tragedy - but it seems to be one of those somewhat irrational mom fears.

Yes, you can walk to a very quiet and pleasant beach in St. Martin, about 15 minute walk.

In Nassau going to Atlantis for the day is the best bet.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
As far as I recall all of the Oasis balconies have glass all the way to the ground, so there is no way he could fall over unless he is a climber and you leave a chair and table just right.

That would certainly be a tragedy - but it seems to be one of those somewhat irrational mom fears.

Yes, you can walk to a very quiet and pleasant beach in St. Martin, about 15 minute walk.

In Nassau going to Atlantis for the day is the best bet.
It definitely is an irrational fear! We had a balcony room on the Oasis and it was just fine.

Thanks for the tip about the beach.

Which Atlantis package would you recommend? There seem to be so many..
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Atlantis is fine to just walk around and see the sights - you can get a visitors pass which does NOT allow you to use any facilities (except sidewalks, and see aquairiums, etc) for about $20 - $30 per person.

If you want to swim there, using the waterslides, river rapids, etc, it is over $100 per person. There are people who make reservations at the hotel there in order to get passes for the facilities. But I don't recall the details, sorry!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Also...

Sorry, but I got confused about which ship you are going to be taking. I thought it was Oasis.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Familiar Face

Opps, I forgot to mention it was the Allure. My fault.

Thanks for the info on Atlantis!