Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Carry-on bag

What do you usually pack in your carry-on to bring onto the ship? We will be driving to the port so we won't have to worry about airplanes. I just want to know what I'll need to have with me for the day before my luggage arrives. Do we needve nice clothes for dinner that night? Swim clothes? towels? pajamas? toiletries? a book? a change of clothes? How much do you pack or how little? It will be me, my husband, son (10), daughter (8), and my parents.

Thanks!
Carnival Dream (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya) - June '11
Carnival Freedom (Key West, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) Dec. '12
Carnival Sunshine (Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) - June '14
Carnival Fantasy (Caribbean) - Dec. '14
Carnival Liberty (Alaska) - June '15
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You may want to swim, so a suit would be a good idea and also a change of clothes for dinner, just in case your luggage hasn't arrived yet. Any meds and valuables should always be in carry-on as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Admiral

If your bags show up at the room like they should, you will not need to carry on much. I attempt to carry on light, mainly the items I need to in process the queue plus valuables and some medications I might need. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruizer2004

Open,
First of all not only will you need your carry on bag items for the first day, you'll need them for the last day when you get off too. What we normally have in it is prescriptions, bathing suit, one change of clothes and any toiletries you think are the most necessary. The night before you get off the ship, they ask you to place your packed luggage in the hallways. I've heard horror stories of people leaving the ship in their pjs because they didn't know that they wouldn't have access to their packed luggage. On the day you start your cruise you will most likely have your luggage before dinner. Sometimes a tag gets lost and you will have to go down to the lost luggage portion of the ship. This has never happened to us, but then we've only done 2 cruises. The first night at dinner is normally casual enough because they realize you don't always have your luggage by then.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carry-on bag

Swim suits; sunscreen; medications; cosmetics; camera; change of clothes if it was a prolonged drive; jewelery; passports; cruise tickets and papers; glasses; ditch book for a lighter magazine; binoculars; towels on ship - skip towels; 2-3 small water bottles; laptop computer.

Typically carry on all sensitive equipment (regulators, cameras, computers, optics, etc.), high value items (cash, checks, watches, jewelry, etc.), and necessary papers (passports, etc.).

BTW, arrive early, get lunch aboard ship, dispose of your valuables in the safe when your cabins are ready and toss your fish in the pool. Be sure those kiddos also have a pair of long pants and socks in going on RCL, etc. (rockwall climbing, ice skating, etc. may require).

Have fun - where are you headed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwater
What do you usually pack in your carry-on to bring onto the ship? We will be driving to the port so we won't have to worry about airplanes. I just want to know what I'll need to have with me for the day before my luggage arrives. Do we needve nice clothes for dinner that night? Swim clothes? towels? pajamas? toiletries? a book? a change of clothes? How much do you pack or how little? It will be me, my husband, son (10), daughter (8), and my parents.

Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, Divemaster. Your post answered my question and eased my worries. We are headed out of Jacksonville and on to Key West and Nassau on Carnival's Celebration in June.
Carnival Dream (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya) - June '11
Carnival Freedom (Key West, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) Dec. '12
Carnival Sunshine (Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) - June '14
Carnival Fantasy (Caribbean) - Dec. '14
Carnival Liberty (Alaska) - June '15
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Hi:

For the kiddos:

Key West has a small aquarium with a touch pool. The kiddos can pick up critters to discover that the flip side of a horseshoe crab bears resemblance to something from the movie Alien, that sea cucumbers squirt, and that rays fed by hand are pretty cool, etc.

Also, Mel's treasure museum with all the recovered Spanish treasure.

Also, the Conch Train (trolly).

Nassau - there are penned sting rays and a dolphin encounter that are cool.

Have fun! 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwater
Thanks, Divemaster. Your post answered my question and eased my worries. We are headed out of Jacksonville and on to Key West and Nassau on Carnival's Celebration in June.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Admiral

9 times out of 10 your luggage will arrive at your stateroom in plenty of time to change clothes for dinner. Throw a pair of casual pants, capris and a jersey in your carry-on just in case, bathing suit, tolietries, medications, camera is about all you will need.