Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default HA- Carry on Criteria

Holland America's website does a horrible job at, well, just about everything for the first time cruiser. Or, perhaps, I am just not adept at finding the info =)

Luggage for instance. I know we have two luggage tags for checked luggage. No brainer there.

However, what is the criteria on carry-on. I know I am taking a pack with my electronics, paperwork, meds, and a change of clothes.

HA allows you to bring your own wine, and there appears to be no limit on quantity, just on where you can enjoy it. Can I bring a little hand cart with a case? Two cases? My wife likes wine too =) Along with my pack?

Thanks for the help.

E
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Are you asking about carry-on's for HAL's cruise ship or an airline? We haven't run into any luggage limit on board a cruise ship...but remember in your cabin you'll need a place to store luggage, backpacks, etc. And unless you are in a suite there isn't a large amount of closet space or counter space. It's not skimpy...and HAL is one cruise line that has cabin sizes which are on the larger size...but you're still on a ship not in a hotel room...so space is sorta limited.

As for wine...gosh I've never seen anyone bring on board a 'case' or 'cases' of wine...water or soda maybe but never wine. But, we've seen plenty of wine, beer, etc. confiscated as passengers board various cruise ships. If the passengers get the bottles back in their cabins later I don't know...but on our last RCCL cruise passengers were lined up having their 'liquor' taken out from their luggage, tagged and set aside. I'd call HAL to be sure what their policy is so you'll have no surprises at the dock.
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to Cruisemates mretuck!

If you are flying, your carry ons will be the same ones you take onboard. Add any of your valuable jewelry to your bag. If you are driving, you can carry more onboard.

Even cruise lines that do allow some wine to be brought onboard, would look askance, at a case or two. They are seeing their revenue, fly away as you come aboard.

Also, remember, anything in hand, you will have to shlep around the ship, till your cabin opens up, usually around 2:00pm. Baggage usually arrives at your door, by dinner time.

A call to HAL, to get the status of carryon wine/liquor, is a good idea. Have fun on your cruise!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Thanks =)

Thanks for the input, folks.

And for the curious, HA allows you to take wine, just wine, aboard. No confiscation =)

The rule is you can only drink it in your room.

Safe cruising!
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Admiral

HAL ,IMHO has a great on line site.
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Several yrs, ago from FLL on a month long HA to Europe we brought 2 cases of wine on a chrome plated hand truck from Sears.Most of fellow cruisers had no idea you could ring wine on board.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Nice Post…Thanks For sharing the info.