Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Tom & Rick

Default Queen Elizabeth 2

Hello Everyone.
Thinking about a cruise on the QE2 leaving London on October 27/05. Has anyone else been on this ship since the renovations? Any information is appreciated especially on the restaurant you eat in, if you book an inside room.
Tom & Rick
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Queen Elizabeth 2

When were the renovations you refer to? We were on the ship two years ago and its condition then was fine.

That voyage was a transatlantic and we had an inside cabin all of which I am sure are Mauretania class cabins, and you eat in the Mauretania Restaurant, early or late sitting. I believe it shares the same galley as the higher grade Caronia Restaurant and the food is substantially the same, but without the frilly bits and little extras (eg the spoonful of caviar you might get once on a cruise).

The food is served fully plated rather than french service as in Caronia and other restaurants, but we found it good quality and plenty of it. Breakfast and lunch is open seating which I personally don't care much for, although you can sit where you like - this can lead to a bit of a scrum at opening time as people race to the best tables.

We'll be able to tell you more about the state of the ship after we get back from 12 nights in the Med the last two weeks of July, although we will be in the Caronia Restaurant. It will be interesting to see how our views are coloured after two recent cruises on much newer ships (QM2 and Galaxy).

Regards,

Paul & Andrew
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Queen Elizabeth 2

Tom & Rick,

Back from our 12 nights on QE2 and just about readjusting to reality. What can I say about the cruise? The best ever!

We were in the Caronia Restaurant, so can't comment on either the inside cabins or the Mauretania Restaurant. I can , however, say that the food on this cruise was the best we have had on any cruise and as both restaurants share the same galley and serve virtually the same menus, the food in Mauretania should be excellent too.

The state of the ship was excellent as well, with a lot of new carpeting and re-upholstered furniture. The sun loungers on the Sun deck were extremely tatty, but mysteriously, these were replaced mid- Bay of Biscay on our return journey. It puzzles me why they weren't replaced earlier - were they brought from England, or were they picked up in our last port of call, Rome?

I mentioned in my post above that we were a little concerned what it would be like to go back to an old ship after having cruised on two new ships - wonderful! QE2 may be quirky and old-fashioned with fewer of the facilities that new ships have, but she has character and is comfortable. We realise now that the new ships are rather soul-less.
Our own opinions, I know, and ones that others don't share, but we will be on QE2 again at the earliest opportunity (for the fourth time).

Enjoy your cruise.

Paul & Andrew