Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Hey Cruisers:

I am interested in your feedback on your preferred cruise line (and why)...particularly would like to hear from women and men who have sailed more than one cruise line.

For example, I have sailed on Carnival and Celebrity only. My first cruise was on Carnival and although it was OK, I didn't feel comfortable at my dinner table. I remember asking the Restaurant Manager for a table for two. I met other Gay and Lesbian couples on that Carnival sailing, but for some reason, there were no FOD meetings. I can't really say it's a "fair" analysis though as it was only a 1-week cruise.

For the past several years I have only sailed on Celebrity (most of their vessels). Every cruise has had FOD meetings. I have met many new friends on the Celebrity cruises and only on ONE cruise felt there wasn't a lot of tolerance (happened to be a 12 night cruise on the Mercury to Mexico).

On Celebrity, the staff treats me and my partner really special...when it's our anniverary or birthday or any reason to celebrate, they seem to go out of their way to make our stay with them as comfortable and hospitable as they can. We're from California and may be more used to others respecting our sexuality, but their genuine kindness for two gay men amazes me sometimes. This may sound strange, but on the past three cruises, we found our neighbors to be gay and lesbian!! We were not on a chartered cruise or with a tour group either. Anyhow, it helped us feel more at home and "comfortable".

I have found it very easy to find and enjoy the company of other "straight" passengers on Celebrity, this may be a gross generalization, but there seems to be a lot of "tolerance" and open-mindedness with those passengers...of course not eveyrone is, but as the saying goes, "Some will-some won't-so what".

If you have some time, please post your preferred cruise line. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all!
Hello,there!!
We have cruised the Caribbean each fall for the past 5 years.Together 23 years,early 50's,etc,etc,etc!First was Carnaval,great for a first time,but to much like the fuckin circus!Next was NCL,only because it was a really great deal!But we loved it.The last three years we have cruised Holland America,The Noordam twice,and last year the Maasdam,and will never use another cruise line again.We have been treated like royalty,even though we are never in the "royal"section,and the staff has literally doted on us,but we tip well!I expect that has something to do with it,but nothing has ever seemed put on or phony.I have been through alot,coming from rural Vermont,and I know when people are sincere.HAL staff are a cut above and beyond.We are doing the 2 week Hawaii 7 November out of San Diego.I think I have made my case for HAL! I also firmly believe what I have read from alot of seasoned cruisers,your cruise is what you make it.Expect the worst and you will get it.We answer to a higher authority,and She guides us well!!
Best of luck,
Michael
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Familiar Face

Windstar and Windsong are very gay friendly_ I have been on two of their cruises In
Tahiti and Western Med where the majority of the ship was gay ( but they only hold 176 passengers) High end - but well worth the splurge! Guillaume
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Passenger

I had never heard of FOD, until I started cruising on Princess cruise line. And they have been the only cruise line that I have cruised on since hearing about FOD. I had cruised 2 other time years ago, and didn't know about it back then. So, I don't know if it would be fair to say Princess is the friendliest. But I have to say I have been treated wonderfully on all 5, that I have been on, and have attended all 5 FOD meetings.
Princess Diamond 2007 Hawaii Complete
Princess Star 2005 Transatlantic Complete
Princess Diamond 2004 Mexico Complete

Last edited by fr8cub; July 5th, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey
Default Friendiest Gay Cruise Line

The friendest line for gays has to be NCL, hands down. They post a FOD meeting every evening. I have been on 40 something cruise, many on lines not longer sailing and it is just what I have found. On my last NCL cruise the FOD meeting attached more and more gays each evening. I have noticed that the gay women don't join in a much as the guys. In more recent years, I have done many all gay and gay group sailings. On none of my RCCI cruises will they do a FOD meeting even if requested. Celebrity, did one for me when I request one with the hotel manager. I was travel with a large group of gay friends and a few other gosays showed up. HAL did the same a few years back and even sent a few gay proformers from the show. Cunard has always been gay friendly, afteral their ships are QUEENS, lol. For the most part I have not had any problem traveling with my partner on any cruise. Even if there is not a FOD meeting normally you can walk around the decks prior to sailing and pick out the other gays on board.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Beginner

Hi everyone,

My wife and I (legally married in DC) have 3 girls and want to find a nice cruise to go on as a family next year. Any suggestions? I have looked at R Family Cruises but since we are constantly doing something, that cruise is a bit out of our price range. Since we have never been on a cruiseship, which line would you recommend and why? Thanks.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Beginner

I have been on several Celebrity and NCL cruises...Two of the NCL's happened to be on the ill-fated DAWN and were Rosie's R Family Vacation's(we won both cruises...how odd). That isn't a true test of the Cruise line's acceptance of gays, or is it? 3,000 Gay and Lesbians with the families and kids? IT was great...just lots of kids. But, the line loved us. The bartenders, cabin attendants...everyone said it is their favorite cruise of the year.
Don't get me wrong...MANY of the staff took the liberty of staying a few hours "longer" in some of the cabins!! And, why not? They gay staff(and there plenty) had a ship full of man bait!!
In any case, Celebrity was awesome as well. FOD meeting...55 people showed up to the ice wall bar. It was amazing and so much fun...as a single guy, there with two single friends...let's just say we needed to work out a strategy for the cabin...
I love them both and will go back time and time again...going on the EPIC this Thanksgiving...BIG ship. We will see what happens!
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Hi, My partner and I and our respective families are having a re-union cruise this coming October onboard the Constellation. I am glad to have read your feedback on Celebrity and their hospitality towards gay travelers. We definitely will be looking out for the FOD meetings.
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs up Gay Friendly

We have cruised with Norwegian, Carnival, Celebrity and many years ago with two now defunct lines: Dolphin and Sun. We never had a bad experience with staff or guests except for one incident on a Celebrity cruise where, when we introduced ourselves as a gay couple, the other diners at our table awkwardly changed the topic and next evening never showed up. On inquiry, our waiter told us they had asked to be moved to a different table for the remainder of the cruise. They were part of a church group from Kansas, and while it wasn't clear exactly why they asked to be moved, we have our suspicions. When we did see them in the public areas and especially by the pool for the rest of the cruise we always yoo hooed them, waved and smiled! It's called making lemonade out of lemons. I particularly enjoyed hopping into the thallasotherapy pool when they were in it... Never mind, we made some great friends at the FOD meetings and enjoyed all the cruises, especially Celebrity which gets my vote, despite this event, as number 1 for being gay friendly.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Familiar Face

I think it is worth noting that Norwegian Cruise Line's is the only carrier to show support for marriage equality during the last week while the cases were brought before the Supreme Court. As Facebook was filled with the red HRC logo designs (and variations), NCL added their own version. NCL posted red and white flip flops..a subtle show of supoort, but based upon the comments it was clear that everyone knew what they were saying.

Kudos to NCL!

Celebrity Summit 2002
NCL Spirit 2006
NCL Pearl 2009
NCL Epic 2011
NCL Pearl 2012
NCL Breakaway 2013
NCL Breakaway 2014 (Wedding Cruise)