Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Couple Sues Over Being Placed on Gay Cruise

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruis...=68501013.blog

I just wondered how many of you saw this story in USA Today and what you think about it.

Quote:
What was billed as Italy's first gay cruise took place last month, and by all accounts it was a resounding success. There was just one small hitch: Somehow a heterosexual couple ended up on board -- and they weren't at all happy about it.
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Default GAY CRUISE

As an older heterosexual woman I often write on this board as Triton will confirm..The comment in the paper says it all.." the couple's lawyer says they were embarrassed after spotting people they knew but had not realized were gay on the ship." If the ship were chartered for an "all gay cruise" the company should have told them. We were on a Celebrity cruise that the previous cruise may have been chartered by a "gay/lesbian group" and a great many of the passengers stayed on board to travel back to the US and this was for two weeks.. Two mothers of two couples invited us to the Tea Dance/party later in the evenings...no, I didn't go..too late for Parrot Pop and I.. As for the "gay" entertainment.. I myself would have been laughing my head off. The cruise for this couple was only for a few days.. I just wonder if they were embarassed at meeting people who had "come out" and were more comfortable on a gay cruise.. and this couple was not very accepting of their life style.. Hey.. what do you want from a flaming liberal from MA.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:22 AM
First Mate

Something about this story doesn't add up. If a gay group chartered the ship how could the line sell individual tickets?

On the other hand, my partner and I just returned from a cruise where upon boarding, found much to our surprise. that the ship was comprised of 99.84% straight passengers. No one advised us of this...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Familiar Face

Default Love your sense of humour

Hi there. Just want to say that i love your sense of humour (yes thats the English spelling hehe).

I can see where a straight couple, if on their own would find an all gay cruise a bit intimidating. I have never been on an all gay cruise even though I am gay, but I am sure everyone has lots of fun....
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Captain

That was interesting, Paul. Thanks for sharing it.

Sounds like the straight couple was a little uptight and out of their element? Having grown up not being true to myself in a "straight white man's world" and not accepting my sexuality until 30 (married with a child and extremely closeted for many years) - I think I may understand a little more from trying to be and live in the "straight" and "gay" culture.

Sadly, it doesn't sound like the uptight couple gave the gays a chance. Most interactions I have with straight folks and interactions I've seen (gay interactions with straight) is welcoming, kind, witty, funny and just plain old NICE! My guess would be that out of several hundred gay couples on board, 2/3 went out of their way to be nice to the straight couple.

Gladly, I think, "What a great experience for the hetro couple...now they have a taste of what we feel like being the 10-15%". Hopefully they walked away understanding how we feel, albeit for us it really is just a fact of life. I also don't think the [reverse] critical / judgemental attitude is as prevelant in gays as it is with many hetros...my experience is that gays are more affirming and accepting with diversity.

As for the couple suing? There are a lot of unahppy people out there and they look for any reason to sue or take others down. As Ron and Jon said, we just disembarked a cruise where there were only a couple dozen Gays and Lesbians, out of 2000 passengers. We were fine with it.

"It's educational people..." -

Just sayin...