Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: VERY fair skin and sunburning...What's a girl to do.

Three words: La Roche Posay.

I am also quite fair-skinned, and that & Ombrelle (both by L'Oreal) are the only sunscreens I use on my face and body. Available on the Internet or through your dermatologist.

Post Edited (05-20-05 17:52)
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
glojo

another tip is to apply the sunscreen 30 minutes BEFORE actually going out in the sun! It get a chance to soak into the skin giving better protection. I too am freckly fair. I use Baby Faces 45 SPF, works wonders. Apply every 45 minutes or so.
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would put my 2 cents worth in just in case others have concerns about the sun. If you are not necessarily wanting to get a tan, and just wanting to snorkel or swim, particularly in the ocean, I would recommend wearing a full lenght dive skin. These garments are a lightweight nylon/lycra blend and cover you from neck to ankles. (Not the same as a neoprene wet suit). They provide excellent protection from the sun AND jellyfish stings and are not too hot to wear. I used one on a recent trip to Hawaii and loved it. Just remember to use sunscreen on your face.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Also, you have to be careful though some of the higher spf's can break someone who has sensitive skin, but some like Neutagena should be good for sensitive skin. Another good one is Blue Lizard we just got it at my work, and we sell a lot of it to people who have really sensitive skin. 8)
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have melasma, which causes dark spots to appear if my face is exposed to sun. My dermatologist said to have the best protection, I need to make sure my sunscreeen has either zinc oxide (comes in transparent now) or avobenzone in it. He recommends Solbar and Vanicream brands.

I noticed the Coppertone Spectra SPF 50 seems very popular so I will have to look into it.

Monarch of the Seas - December 2006
Elation - April 2006
Sensation - May 2005
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatterly
now with self tanner and airbrushing does that help you not brun when in the sun?
No these do not help you not to burn. Use sunscreen with a SPF of 30 or more if you are going to be out a long time. 15 will do if you are only going to be out a couple of hours. I'm a redhead too and I burn in 20 minutes, but SPF 15 will let me stay out for 2 or 3 hours and 30 for most of the day. It is still a very good idea to avoid direct sun between 11:00AM and 3:00PM.

One final note, I'm a 64 year old guy who used to ignore these rules and have had small skin cancers removed from my forehead. When you go on your cruise, go up on the Lido deck and look at some of the wrinkled old hags laying in the sun. Lots of them are much younger than you think. A lifetime of "tanning" has destroyed their skin and prematurely aged them. The sun causes almost as many deaths by cancer as smoking. My own father died of Melanoma. To each his or her own.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Admiral

There is also clothing on the market that supposedly blocks the sun entirely. Ihaven't tried it yet, even though I am very fair skinned too. I've seen it in Mageelan's catalogs.
Marty
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Passenger

I have very fair skin. I found water babies sun screen works the best. Just make sure you keep reapplying it.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Default NO TANNING!!

Hi all,
Just to weigh in on the tan thing. DON'T TAN! I too am german and irish and freckle. Believe me...at age 40 I have had my share of bad sunburns. However, my sister who has my same coloring is going in tomorrow for her third skin cancer surgery. I am also a pharmacist so this is what I know from a medical point of view. No tan is a good tan. (which really stinks because everyone looks better and thinner with one ) I suggest using the self tanners. I know they are a pain but once you get the hang of using them they give you a nice glow. I currently use the Aveeno body cream. Also, everyone of EVERY skin color needs to use sunscreen and a lot of it. All of the journals that I have read say that anything over a SPF of 15 (yes 15) is not any more effective. My favorite is the BULLFROG QUICKGEL it has an spf of 36. The reason why I like it is that it a gel and is water and sweatproof It is alcohol based, it smells strong, so it doesn't smell that great (no coconuts ) but it dries instantly due to the alcohol and it is not sticky or creamy and greasy. Don't forget to apply at least a 1/2 before you go out and use a lot all day. A normal application for the entire body is about a shot glass full. Also girls....don't forget about what the sun does for those nice wrinkles as you age!! That is more than my two cents worth, sorry.
Fleaberry
PS: Don't forget to wear your hat!!!!
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Beginner

STAY OUT OF TANNING BEDS! Ask any dermatologist and they will tell you the same. If you are fair skinned, you need to protect yourself. High SPF sunscreen, hat and proper clothing. If you really want color, go for the spray on. Otherwise, you will pay for it later.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Hi- go online and look for clothing that has an SPF factor... you can find some nice, lightweight comfy stuff. Just run a search for SPF clothing, you'll be suprised at what's out there. And if you have to be exposed, make sure you have a good sunscreen with UVA and UVB blockers... and reapply regularly! Set a timer on your watch to remind you, it's easy to forget with all the fun stuff going on!
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Familiar Face

I know the last post here was almost 2 years ago, but I just have to comment.

I'm a brunette and I burn so easily! (shocking, I know) I'm the only one in my family with sun issues. I went to Acapulca for spring break in high school many years ago, constantly slathered on sunscreen, wore a tshirt, and still looked like a lobster one day. It was so bad that a doctor told me I had a 2nd degree burn all over my body and had to miss school for the next week because I had to apply certain creams every hour and have towels soaked in some mixture all over me at all times. It was horrible.

I going on a Wester Caribbean in March (spring break time again) and I'm terrified about coming back sunburned. I don't like being red. I don't like the pain. And I don't like skin cancer (luckily I haven't suffered from this yet, but I know people who have).
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Admiral

I've had 3 skin cancer surgeries in the past 5 years yet I still continue to cruise .I use sunscreen and wear a hat (cap) as much as possible .
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Familiar Face

I didn't read the whole thread before I posted earlier. I noticed someone mentioned sensitive skin. My face does not only burn worse than the rest of me, but is also very sensitive to sunscreen. It seems that most sunscreen causes my face, mostly cheek area, to feel like it's burning and my eyes to water, even though I didn't get sunscreen in them. The burning feeling is quite painful. I think it was only baby sunscreen that didn't do that to my face.
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Wear summer coat before going in sun. Apply sunscreen lotion in every 3-4 hours if you are out for a long time. Try to cover your head as well.
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Now a days so many creams are available in the market for the treatment of red heads. But before using any cream I refer you to have a complete examine from the dermatologist. The cream refer by the dermatologist will actually work.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Try to consult a trusted dermatologist to further advise you on the things you need to do. Some people use sunscreen protection but of course it depends on the type of skin you have.