Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Default Still Rocking

I left the cruise ship yesterday and I'm still feeling the rocking motion of the ship. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Still Rocking

Welcome to the world of post cruising!!! We took our 1st cruise this May and wasn't expecting the rocking motion to be as great as it was when we got home. It never bothered us while in port, but then again we were busy and distracted

Depending on how sesitive you are, the rocking will subside anywhere from 2-7 days, with each day getting better. We just kind of laughed about it, taking about our cruise and how this was kind of like bringing part of the ship home with us.

hope you had a great time on your cruise!!!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
JaneMarlow

I feel that way after I'm on a train or ship. After a few days it subsides.
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

when i was in college a couple of years ago i used to wait tables. try carring a tray full of glasses after getting off a cruise! that was rough. hahahaaa.

Old December 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal

For some people this feeling lasts a shor time and goes away. For a select few after being on a boat, plane or in car this feeling get longer every time. We are not crazy or making this up it is a documented vestibular syndrome.

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this.
This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact me or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 4 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/
Good luck to all that have this.

Old January 1st, 2005, 02:04 PM
carolina rocker

If the dizziness goes away in a few days, then you are experiencing what is a normal reaction for many people. If it lasts as much as three weeks, I would be very careful before taking another cruise. There is a syndrome called "mal de debarquement" which is rather rare, but can disable some people for years. Many doctors confuse this with vertigo, and sometimes it is very difficult to diagnose. There is currently no known cure, and some people do have remissions only to get the syndrome again and again. Actually, what we experience is more of a rocking feeling or a feeling of disequillibriun rather than dizziness. Sea-sickness meds do no good. One sure-fire test: Do you feel normal while driving or riding in a car, only to have difficulty walking when getting out of the car.

For more information see: http://www.nhffoundaations.net/MdDS

carolinarocker (for 4 years now)
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:32 PM
LeeW

Great thread to read!

Not sure how those planes at Fort Lauderdale manage to dock at the gates when the airport keeps moving up and down, but I know how you feel!
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yep, give it a few days. We just did our first cruise in April to the Southern Caribbean & we felt it when we got home. Took a couple of days, but you get back to your normal self.
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal

IF YOUR ROCKING SENSATION LAST MORE THAT A COUPLE OF WEEKS READ THIS!!!

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this. For a select few after being on a boat, plane or in car this feeling gets longer every time. We are not crazy or making this up it is a documented vestibular syndrome. It is generally thought to be an inability of the brain to re adjust to land.

This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact http://nhffoundations.net or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 7 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/
Good luck to all that have this.

ROCKINGAL
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Passenger

I know this is an old thread, but so glad I found it -- just been back 6 days, still feel like my equillibrium is out of whack -- not dizzy or sea-sick, just like I'm listing to one side. If I tilt my head it gets a little better....

researching Mal de Debarquement now -- those of you with this, did you just go to your regular doctor, or to an ENT?

and, how long is "normal" for this to last, and at what point should I consider myself one of the unlucky few to get this disorder??

thanks, if anyone is still following this thread : )
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Hi TexasHeather,

I'd suggest you call your regular MD. He/she will probably RX a "seasickness" remedy.

My "swaying" usually lasts for at least a week, generally in the bathroom or kitchen (tile floors, no carpet! ). The best thing is that I have No problem on the ship !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Passenger

Just read the threads for this topic and am very worried. Am going on my
first cruise in March 2007 and sometimes I get motion sickness when traveling. I have even noticed on occassion that when I am on the 2nd floor
at our local mall I feel vibration and shaking of the tile floors, its a strange
sensation. I also traveled by train for several days a few years back and it
took me a couple of days to get over that motion feeling like I was still on the
train. Should I not take the cruise? For all the money I am paying is it really worth it to risk maybe getting this ma de debarqument disease? I was looking very forward to going until I read these threads. How common is
this disease and how many people out of 100 get it?
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Capgirl,

Don't mean to scary you but Sunday (in 2 days) will be 2 weeks since I've been back from my 7 day cruise & I'm still feeling the dizziness & imbalance. I think Mal De Debarquement happens more than what is reported. The good thing is is that it is usually only temporary, lasting a few weeks to a few months. Some unlucky people have it much longer. The first week that I was back, I was useless. I would struggle through work & then immediately go to sleep until it was time to go to work the next morning. My wife was not to thrilled about that, but I was feeling awful. The worst part is the foggy head & the inability to concentrate on any tasks. Within the last day or 2, it seems to be subsiding little by little. You mentioned aboout getting motion sickness alot. From my research people who get MDD usually are the opposite. I have never had motion sickness in my life & did not have a problem on the ship either. The ride home (2days) was really rough & I was completely fine. My advise would be to take bonine days before, during & after the cruise. The other 5 people I was with were back to normal within a day or two & almost all of them took bonine everyday.
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Passenger

Mdb1654--Thanks for the feedback, I will try the drug and its good to know
that the people who get motion sickness don't have it so bad( that will probably be me). Where did you go on your 7 day cruise and did it seem smooth while you were on ship?
Will you go on another cruise or has this totally turned you off from cruisin?
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Beginner

We went on a 7 day out of N.O. to the W. Carribean. We stopped at Costa Maya, Santo Tomas, Belize City & Cozumel. I think that my cruising days are over. That was my first & last! I'm on day 15 & still feeling the effects.
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Passenger

mdb1654-I am sorry to hear that this is still bothering you. I was explaining
your situation on another thread under Holland and then motion sickness on this website and some of the "cruise old timers" think we are both nuts.
You should jump on that thread and let those people know that this is real.
Thanks for the feedback and I hope you feel better very soon. Good luck.
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Beginner

I probably wouldn't belive it either if I wasn't living it! It's real & I think it happens more than what is reported. It does seem to be fading some but it is leaving me very slow. Hopefully it will be gone in a week or so.
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
some of the "cruise old timers" think we are both nuts.
I don't think either of you are "nuts"! I respect mdb1654's (and the others) problem. The only reason I told you not to worry about it is because it's so rare. That doesn't mean it never happens!

Mdb1654, did you check with your doctor? Usually, the "swaying" can be relieved by using a seasickness med. (Not always, but it can't hurt to ask!)

I do hope you can find relief and enjoy a cruise again .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Fern, my"old timer" remarks were not in anyway directed at you---I even
wrote you back with a thank you for being so kind. The advice you gave me
was much appreciated and thanks again
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Just out of curiosity...does any feel that the sensation is less severe if sea-sickness meds were taken while on the cruise?
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Passenger

Pam, I understand your worry about sea sickness. In my case I did not use
meds but I did use the wrist bands and after the 1st night took them off
and found that I was perfectly fine--there was a little motion at times but
nothing that you will really notice because your so busy and having so much fun!!! When and where is your 1st cruise and with which line?
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Beginner

We are cruising the Valor Western Caribbean on March 2. Ports of call are Miami, Grand Cayman, Isal Roatan (Hundurus), Belize, and Cozumel. It's a suprise Christmas present for my family. I am SO excited!

The reason why I asked about the meds is because we did a Disney cruise in 2000 and I was off-kilter the whole time and still have the sensation for a couple of days later. I never really felt sick, just woozy and it really effected my cruising experience. However, I didn't take any meds or use a band, etc. I am seriously thinking about doing 'something' this time since it seems like my motion sensitivity has become slightly worse over the years. I LOVE roller coasters, but I went on one this summer that I seriously would have been ill if there was one more drop, turn, or loop.
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Beginner

We are cruising the Valor Western Caribbean on March 2. Ports of call are Miami, Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan (Hundurus), Belize, and Cozumel. It's a suprise Christmas present for my family. I am SO excited!

The reason why I asked about the meds is because we did a Disney cruise in 2000 and I was off-kilter the whole time and still have the sensation for a couple of days later. I never really felt sick, just woozy and it really effected my cruising experience. However, I didn't take any meds or use a band, etc. I am seriously thinking about doing 'something' this time since it seems like my motion sensitivity has become slightly worse over the years. I LOVE roller coasters, but I went on one this summer that I seriously would have been ill if there was one more drop, turn, or loop.
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

My suggestion would be to start with eating candied ginger or taking ginger pills. Sometimes, that's all I need. But, if I start to feel dizzy (my first symptom), I always have a bonine/meclizine (same med, different names) in my purse and I chew one ASAP. That way I can go without worrying about it, since the remedy is close at hand. Just don't wait to take the pill, as nothing works once true seasickness works, except a shot from the doctor
Marty the queazy
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A2G
I left the cruise ship yesterday and I'm still feeling the rocking motion of the ship. Is this normal?
Sure it's not from the barstool?

You might have a case of that "Kahlua" that's been going around.
Carnival Imagination 11/07 (booked)

Free Cruise Clocks
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Familiar Face

Me and my family just tell everyone we're on our sealegs for a while!
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - October/November 2009
Carnival Pride - February 2012
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default re: rocking motion

I remember coming off our Alaskan cruise, heading home, sleeping and found myself rocking, I think it was nausea, but then again ... you never know.

My cousin got sick after that cruise. She was at work, stood up and keeled (no pun intended) over, she felt like she was still on the boat, ended up staying in bed for a few days after that. She's right as rain now.
Carnival Valor - (10/10/10) Western Caribbean

"HEY YOU!!, put down that Crackberri and pick up a martini!!!."