Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Exclamation Sickness Meds

Anyone know of any good seasickness medications?

I've been to Alaska 2x and I've found myself getting quite seasick.
I'm going on a 12-night Mexican Riviera cruise in 2.5 months and I would like to pack some good medications to prevent sickness as much as possible.

HEELLPPP!

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches View Post
Anyone know of any good seasickness medications?

I've been to Alaska 2x and I've found myself getting quite seasick.
I'm going on a 12-night Mexican Riviera cruise in 2.5 months and I would like to pack some good medications to prevent sickness as much as possible.

HEELLPPP!
Bonine(Meclizine) is about the best, non-drowsy, medication. It has the least side effects and high rate of efficacy. It must be taken as a preventative (as almost all motion sickness medications are) and not after you get sick.

Ask your pharmacist for Meclizine. It is non-prescription but buying the generic Meclizine will save you some money.

Take care,

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Cool Meds

My first choice is ginger tablets available at health food stores..It settles your stomach the way flat gingerale did when you had an upset stomach..I take two as I step on the ship and have lunch..and one at every meal at sea...Also, I bring or they have mint tea bags...that works too..If all else fails I have Sturgeron which is something the yachtmen use but itisnot available in the US..I buy mine in Bermuda.
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Admiral

if you get really, really sea-sick it might be worth a trip to your doctor to get the patch. The patch is for very bad sea-sickness. If your sea-sickness is moderate then try the OTC remedy that Mike mentioned, Bonnine works great, but it must be taken as a preventative.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Angry The Patch

Having worked in a hospital I knew many M.D's would not prescribe the patch because of side effects.. If you do ..cut them in half... and I;m sure there are many items available at the pharmacist.. ask your pharmacist the one that has the least side effects.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Yeah I think I'm going to go with the Bomanine or w/e it's called here in Canada.. I tend to get sick over the slightest wave, so I need to make sure I bring something with me!! Apparently, not many pharmacies here in B.C make that drug so I have to do some looking around..

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Default Bring along

Quote:
Yeah I think I'm going to go with the Bomanine or w/e it's called here in Canada.. I tend to get sick over the slightest wave, so I need to make sure I bring something with me!! Apparently, not many pharmacies here in B.C make that drug so I have to do some looking around..

PLEASE bring along the ginger tablets.. and mint tea (although they are available on the ships).. the ginger has no side effects and is healthier...Some people bring a piece of ginger and shave it into hot water..
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
PLEASE bring along the ginger tablets.. and mint tea (although they are available on the ships).. the ginger has no side effects and is healthier...Some people bring a piece of ginger and shave it into hot water..
Oh yes definitely will do!

Quick question though, are the ginger tabs a preventative measure, or do you take them when you start feeling seasick to relieve it?

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Default Ginger Tablets

Quote:
Oh yes definitely will do!

Quick question though, are the ginger tabs a preventative measure, or do you take them when you start feeling seasick to relieve it?
I take the ginger tablets once I get on board... then since they are harmless I just take one at each meal..and if my stomach feels queezy..a cup of mint tea calms it right down..
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Great, thanks!

Wow, with all the meds I'll be bringing on board (Bonamine, Migraine meds, Tylenol, Advil, Birth Control, Prevacid, etc).. I could start my own pharmacy!

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Talking Pills

Quote:
Great, thanks!

Wow, with all the meds I'll be bringing on board (Bonamine, Migraine meds, Tylenol, Advil, Birth Control, Prevacid, etc).. I could start my own pharmacy!
Well, at least I don't need "birth control"..lol, but seriously nothing is as bad as feeling seasick... I was for years until Igot the hang of it..
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Passenger

It is the WORST!!! Definitely puts a damper on your vacation
I hope I can get the hang of it one day!

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Default Sea Sick

Quote:
It is the WORST!!! Definitely puts a damper on your vacation
I hope I can get the hang of it one day!
There is NOTHING worse than spending time with your head in a basket or not being able to enjoy the food that somebody else has cooked on a cruise..The mint tea bags don't take up much room but even now if we have an upset stomach at home I drink the mint tea
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Passenger

That's a good tip. I have some peppermint tea at home, I've never tried it.
I'll give it a shot next time I'm feeling gross.. it happens often so I'm guessing I'll be trying it within the week :P

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Default Happening Often

Quote:
That's a good tip. I have some peppermint tea at home, I've never tried it.
I'll give it a shot next time I'm feeling gross.. it happens often so I'm guessing I'll be trying it within the week :P
If it happens that often (why) and the tea comes pre-wrapped put a few in your handbag when your out..don't wait until y our in bad shape but when your stomach is giving you little hints that something isn't right.. have a cup of mint tea....I seriously try to stay away from drugs and find if the ginger which is natural doesn't work it means I might have to go to Sturgeron..but rarely lately..
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Passenger

That's an excellent tip.. Thanks so much! =)

I once heard that mint tea is gross, so I never thought about trying it.. but I definitely will now

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Default Mint Tea

Quote:
That's an excellent tip.. Thanks so much! =)

I once heard that mint tea is gross, so I never thought about trying it.. but I definitely will now

Try it now.. don't wait..it does help with digestion
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Admiral

i have had really good results using ginger. Gingersnap cookies or ginger candy work really well, as does gingerale as long as it contains real ginger. This may sound weird to you, but a key to avoiding sea sickness is to keep carbs in your stomach, things like bread and rolls work really well as does being outside in the fresh air and sunshine, nothing takes your mind off those queezies like sunshine and a fresh sea breeze
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Pumpkin - if you are having a hard time finding the Bonnine at home you can get it any drug or grocery store here in the us, its OTC, stop at at drug or grocery store before you board the ship
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Passenger

I got em! My pharmacy compounds it themselves, since Bonamine is discontinued. && I got 100 ginger pills =) i should be able to enjoyy my upcoming cruise. It is a horrbile feeling being seasick, wasting away precious vacation moments just being sick and throwing up.

Old July 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I also have a recomendation. My wife uses a patch behind her ear. It can be prescribed by your doctor. The patch looks like a round bandaid. If you put it on prior to leaving home, it will keep you from getting airsick and seasick; it works for the entire time you're gone. Ususally 7-10 days; you don't have to worry about did I take my medicine. The trouble with seasickness is you have to be on meds prior to getting sea sick; if you feel queasy and try and take your meds; it is usually too late. Good luck.
the name of the patch is called transdermscope
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Admiral

PumpkinPatches - i would ask your pharmacy about taking both meds the Bonnine and the ginger pills, not sure, but that could be double-dosing, and you wouldn't want to do that. It might be a case of one or the other and not both, definatley something to check out
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Passenger

hmm.. good call! wouldnt want to overdose on holidays!

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Exclamation

Just so everyone knows... I talked to my Pharmacist and he told me that the Bonine and the Ginger capsules will actually work together against nausea, and it will not cause any "double dosing" effects

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Admiral

good to know
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Default Seasickness Meds

Has anyone tried the chewable Bonine tablets and are they effective?
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Yes, I use the chewable ones that the ships usually have for free. At the very first bit of dizziness (my first clue that I am headed to seasick land), I chew one. They work faster that way. And I always take one before using a tender to get to shore. I am far more likely to get seasick on those than on today's huge cruise ships.
Marty
Oh, and I grab some fresh ginger at the sushi bar every night!
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Default Seasick meds

Thanks for your reply and info. Do you know of ginger gum? Someone mentioned it somewhere and said you could get it at Walgreens, however, mine didn't have it but said if I could get the brand name they could order it. Don't know where I read about it.
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
There is NOTHING worse than spending time with your head in a basket or not being able to enjoy the food that somebody else has cooked on a cruise..The mint tea bags don't take up much room but even now if we have an upset stomach at home I drink the mint tea

What about for kids...age 12 what could you give them. I do the gingerale and I am all about the mint tea but can kids have that mecalzine or the patches? I know you said that the patches are preventative. If you didn't start one and felt sick couldn't you still add one even though it might take a day or so?? Side effects are??
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbullard View Post
What about for kids...age 12 what could you give them. I do the gingerale and I am all about the mint tea but can kids have that mecalzine or the patches? I know you said that the patches are preventative. If you didn't start one and felt sick couldn't you still add one even though it might take a day or so?? Side effects are??
I'm bringing the "seasick bands" with me and hoping they work. I got them at Walgreens. That way I won't get drowsy from meds. I'm bringing some non drowsy dramamine with me also, just in case.