Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:57 AM
MikeMaria

Default When/how to adjust tip? Does word go out if you tip personal

Hi -
I have a question. I am going on an 8-day cruise on HAL in a few weeks and I got a letter saying that tipping of $10 per day would be added to our on-board account. Well, for my wife, parents and 3-year-old, that will be $400. The letter says that it can be adjusted on the last day. Interestingly it also says that any tips I would personally give to anyone, would have to turned in to be pooled with everyone. So I guess I cannot reward excellent service to any one individual deserving of it.

After reading various posts on this, it seems that if I immediately remove the automatic tip from my shipboard account and then tip personally for excellent service, that the persons I tip must turn in that money. How do those people you tip know that you removed the automatic tip from your account? Is the official word sent out from the main office?

I would like to tip personally, but I would feel uncomfortable if people were saying things behind my back or providing bad service because they thought that I wouldn't be tipping!

Perhaps it is better to wait until the last day and brave the long lines so as not to worry about this? Has anyone adjusted the tip before the last day? I am afraid that I will forget to do this. Is it easy to do? Is there a long line?
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Default Re: When/how to adjust tip? Does word go out if you tip pers

Once again,,not an expert here, but I was on the Volendam last August. Once on the ship you are asked to register a charge card at the Front Office (like a hotel front desk). On the last day at sea we were given a bill for all the charges we incurred during the trip. The theory was with bill in hand,,one could let it go and have the charges remain on the credit card or go to the front office to make other arrangements, and that would be the time to take off the 10 dollar charge, which BTW, was per cabin per day,,not per person per day. I choose to go to the front office and pay it off with cash. I was 4th in line, didn't take any time at all.

So you wouldn't actually forget because the bill would be staring you in the face.

I do wonder, though, about the money in the pool theory. Not saying any one on the ship is dishonest, but who would know if the cabin steward was slipped a couple of bucks? But,,heres a good one,,after the first night I left my steward some money on the bed. Later that day he comes running down the hall after me with the money in hand trying to give it back to me. He said "Sir, you shouldn't leave money around in your cabin in the open,,someone could take it. I found this lying on your bed". I explained to him it was his and any money he finds on the bed will be his. I ended up leaving him quite a lot because he was excellant,,did he get to keep it,,who knows?

Ron
Old October 16th, 2004, 08:25 AM
seawench

My understanding, from reading message boards, is that it is $10 PER PRSON per day.
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Previously on HAL I would give my room steward, waiter and asst. waiter something at my first meeting with them and explain there was more at the end of the cruise and then hand them more at the end if appropriate.
This always worked well as they already knew they were getting something. The service seemed to be better than what it otherwise would have been. And that I'm willing to pay for.
I will still give the advance but I will miss distributing the tips at the end of the cruise. I haven't decided whether to have it removed from my room chit and follow my old routine.
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:22 PM
First Mate

If you remove the $10.00 per day from the room chit, then anything you give the stewards has to be turned in by them to be put in the pool.

If, however, you stay in the "program", anything extra you give them, they are allowed to keep.

Yes, it is $10.00 per day PER PERSON, not per cabin.
Old October 17th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

You know,,I forgot my wife and myself each recieved a separate bill for our cabin so I was , and I admit, incorrect about the per cabin charge for which I apologize. Hey, we all can have a bad day!!
Ron
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: When/how to adjust tip? Does word go out if you tip

wow $10 per person per day hugh??
Does that include children in the room?? I will have a 3 and 8 year old, seems silly the 3 year old would be tipping
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I was on the Oosterdam, traveling solo, I left an extra $2 on the pillow of the unmade bed everyday. The room stewart worked hard at keeping the room in order. I felt I was rewarding excellent service to one individual deserving of it. I know he appreciated the "extra" he found each day. Through brief conversations I learned he had a wife and three kids which he hadn't seen in 5 months. Personally, I hope he didn't pool the money.
However, I would definitely have charges removed for any amount charged for the 3 yrs. old child.
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:30 PM
First Mate

I would certainly question the $10 per day for a 3 year old - suggest you question your TA and also send an e-mail to HAL - in fact call Customer Services - 1-877-SAIL HAL (724-5425) - if that's not correct, the operator will give you the right number or transfer you.

If you leave the 'gratuity' on your shipboard account you can always give your favorite server/steward a few $'s extra - he's allowed to keep that money.

You don't have to tip the drink waiter - 15% is added to each drink - and you can't have that removed!
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Captain

Intersting that folks want to remove the automatic tip for their small children when the toddlers often make more work for the steward than perhaps an adult would.

The cheerios on the floor; the extra bed which must be made; the general picking up that always accompanies small children. IF you remove the automatic tip from your bill for any person in your cabin, the steward must turn over anything you privately tip him to the pool.

And...anticipating the next question......Either they are honest or they are not. Their co-workers well know what is a 'norm' or an 'average' that most of them receive in a given period of time unless they are extremely bad at their jobs and they would know if one of them was not a good worker.

Should they attempt to cheat the others, I would think they would not have a very pleasant living experience aboard the ship.
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Would it be proper to ask your room steward and dining room staff whether they preferred to be tipped through the ship or directly?
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
First Mate

Your point is well taken S7S - I think in terms of picking up after a 3 year old - guess that's maybe not the norm with todays parents. I agree that if said 3 year olds are allowed to chuck cereal and other food around, the $10.00 per day is not out of line.
Old October 31st, 2004, 02:20 PM
TedC

When you consider that $10 per day per person is for service for at least three meals a day, cleaning the room, evening turndown service etc. it really isn't that much, IMO.

I recall when some cruise lines suggested half the customary tipping amount for children I always thought the kids probably caused more work than the adults!

Plus, some of the autotip amount also goes to "behind the scenes" workers who contribute to your cruise enjoyment even though you may never see them. Currently cruising is one of the bigger travel bargains around for the value received - even when you add in the tips.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:18 AM
bordenhildenbrand

But question still is: how does the worker up in the Lido know that I did not leave the tips on my bill. He does not know my name or probably not my cabin number, so why would he or she turn the money in? I have not yet read a reasonable answer that makes sense yet.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
Captain

YOU may not think he knows your name or cabin number, but rest assured that if you give him a tip, he will know your name and cabin number. The stewards on HAL are remarkable about remember names/faces etc and if he personally cannot identify you one of his buddies can/will. The stewards then refer to a listing of who has removed the automatic tips from their account. IF they have some question and are not sure who you are (which is highly unlikely they cannot find out), they would opt to share into the pool rather than 'try to get away' with keeping it.

They like their jobs; they want to get re-hired for another contract; they want to get along with their fellow crewmembers; they are honest.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:25 AM
bordenhildenbrand

I am not referring to their honesty in any way, but I find it hard to understand how it would be possible for them to know who gave them extra and would they go such great lengths over a tip. Do they have that kind of time on their hands, I don't think so.

I am only trying understand, not trying make anyone upset. I have enjoyed all your comments on this board and look for them.

Thank you.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:55 PM
Captain

Perhaps I am not understanding you but you write:

.....how it would be possible for them to know who gave them extra......"

Presumably you would be handing it to them so, of course, they know it was you who gave it to them.

As ot how do they know your name and/or cabin number.....The stewards on HAL are remarkable about knowing who the pax are. YOU may not realize it but they have a knack (and I have tried hard to learn what it is ) for remembering names/faces. We have cruised many, many times on HAL. More times than I can count, we board a ship and a steward we have no memory of will approach us and say hello. He will remember what ship/when we last sailed with him. They are always correct; When they point out the approximate date and the ship, invariably we think back and they are accurate.

If you have cruised HAL before, I would think you may have noticed this talent most of them have.

If they do not know your name/cabin number, they wll ask one of their friends working Lido with them and one of them are sure to be able to identify you.....whether you know it or not.

(Thank you for your nice words about my participation here.)
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Captain

I meant to add that most people tip by putting cash into an envelope and handing it to the steward. We always put our name and cabn number on it and usually write a note of thanks. Obviously, they would then have our cabin number/name. BUT, we felt this steward had done extra for us and that is why we wished to tip him, isn't it likely we would know his name? Isn't it likely he would know ours if he had been taking care of us for a week or more? We would tell him it if necessary.
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM
bordenhildenbrand

Thank you for your help. BTW we have no intention of removing the tip and would tip extra when deserved and I'm sure that will happen. We are very much looking forward to cruise next Nov. (05) on the Veendam for 14 days. This will be our longest ever cruise. I'm looking for a Panama cruise, probably only partial. So far the one that looks good is the Princess Coral next April. Haven't convinced my wife yet though.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Captain

Hope you have a great cruise on Veendam. We are sailing her in January for a 12 day cruise and are eager to return to that fun ship.

We did a partial Panama Canal transit this past March on Rotterdam. It was a terrific cruise.....the third or fourth time we have done the partial transit. We think it a wonderful cruise. Hope you talk your wife into doing it. I think you'll both enjoy it.
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
seawench

Just got back last weekend from a cruise on the Oosterdam.

Since we were used to the "old way" of tipping on the ship, we weren't real clear about the new method.
My husband went down to main deck office twice to ask about the tipping.
We intended to leave the $10/per person/per day on our bill. However, he wanted to know what happens if we give extra to some of the crew members.

On both occasions he was told that we could give extra tips, and the crew members did not have to turn the $ in.
"But how does our cabin steward or waiter know we've paid the $10/per day charge, and therefore they can keep the money?" my husband asked.

Their answer, both times: "We've never had a problem with this."
Neither person directly answered my husband's question.

Yes, we did put our room # and names on the envelopes, as we always do.
And with our cabin steward, we actually told him we paid the $10/pp/day, so he could keep the money.

We also gave extra tips to the wine steward, the head waiter and the waiter.
And a tip to the waiter in the piano bar, where we spent many nights.

Somehow, I can't imagine our cabin steward meeting with someone in billing to go over which pax gave him extra $, so they can compare the names to the list of people who paid the $10/pp/day.

When is there time to do that? For every member of the crew to do that?

As far as in the Lido -- I can't imagine a server there being able to identify me [among so many pax] as a person who gave him $5, then tracking me down to what room I'm in, then verifying that I'd paid my mandatory tip so he can keep the $5.
It just doesn't make sense.
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I had some of the above questions until I sailed on the Volendam 10/27. When my cabin steward first appeared and introduced himself, I asked him, "How do you like the new tipping policy?" He said it was fine - more people who work very hard finally get some rewards.

I told him I would keep the charge on my shipboard account and I did. I also tipped him extra as I travel alone and he's automatically losing the income from one other person in the cabin (although it's 1/2 the work).

I also gave my waiter, assistant waiter and a few favorite bartenders extra. It did cost me more in tips than I usually spend, but I looked at it this way - it was 10 days worth of gas for my car that I didn't use! Keep that in mind.......
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Captain

They get a list of the people who have had the automatic tips removed from the accounts.

If you tip additional to either your cabin steward or dining stewards and your cabin (name) is not on the list of those who removed the tips, they know they are permitted to keep what you have handed them. If your name is on the list, they have to pool anything you give them.
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:08 PM
jerry berkowitz

hi
not one person has mentioned that
most of the crew are not americans .
the $ 10.00 tip is actually only
$ 7.50 due to the weakness of the dollar .
jerry
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:08 PM
Bruce Chafkin

The number of passengers who remove all or part of the auto tip is very small. Typically only about 3% of the passengers remove anything.
With 1,000 passengers, that means only 30 names to remember.

It is very easy for the staff to be informed and remember who tips and who does not.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM
abbott

Default Re: Re: Re: When/how to adjust tip? Does word go out if you

Tip in Euros
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:57 AM
hombre

my experience on the rotterdam, nov. 04, panama canal. i had no problem with the automatic tip, since i had been used to tipping more in the past. i did tender additional tips to the room steward, waiter and to a couple of guys serving on the lido because their service was so very good. i asked each of these people if they would have to pool the extra money i gave them, and they said 'no.' when all was said and done, i came out tipping about the same amount i have on my past ten hal cruises. i just don't think it is a confusing or major issue.
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:07 PM
terim48

On other cruiese lines, we have always taken the dining staff tips off our bill, as we never eat in the dining room, only the buffet. Then if a particular wait person in the buffet gives us service that impresses us, we tip them individually. We leave on the room steward tips, and then also give him extra at the end of the cruise. Maybe this time we can do it daily. We have only ever had 1 complaint about service on a RCCL cruise. And I don't know why everyone puts down Carnivial, our last cruise with them service was above and beyond even our Princess Cruise, and I thought they would be hard to beat.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Jim Randle

Sail7seas said, "I meant to add that most people tip by putting cash into an envelope and handing it to the steward. We always put our name and cabn number on it and usually write a note of thanks.

I completely agree. If somone has given service worth of a gratuity, it is only courteous to thank them both personally, as well as with a brief note of thanks. And by putting your name and cabin number on the note, you make it far easier for the employee to know whether your tip is in addition to the tips left on the shipboard account (and therefore do not have to be pooled), or in place of them (and subject to the pooling rules).

Leaving cash on the desk or bed with no note, is not the nicest way to thank somene for their hard work (although nicer than not tipping at all). Still it only takes less than a minute to write a note that says "Thanks for your hard work and excellent servide. You made my cruise special!", signed Your Pax, cabin number xxx.
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Beginner

Someone mentioned the 1/2 tip for children. This is FACT per 1990's. If children are in the same room as parents and are causing LESS stress and work for a steward than an extra half cabin, 1/2 tip is proper. I know this is picky, but some parents these days don't always "do" for the kids as they did 10 years ago. If your child makes twice the work for the steward, tip double!!
It's just basic common sense!