Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Kat Mills

Default I would love a job!!!

I am fairly new to these cruise ship applications but would like to start the process asap. I kinda of know where I would like to be placed (as in what area of the world) and have some great experience and know what I am good at in regards to positions. I dont know if I have to buy one of these books and which one? I was hoping to just be able to ring for an application form but it seems this isn't the case. Can anybody suggest a good way to start this process.

Kind Regards
Kat Mills
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: I would love a job!!!

Your best bet is to go to each cruise lines web site and check to see if they have a section regarding Employment. Or you could Google, "cruise ship employment" and see if there is anything there.

You would have no say in where or what ship you would be placed on - if you are granted an interview, and subsequently offereed a job, you would have to go where they send you.

You don't say what experience you have, or what you are good at. This could be helpful in steering you in the right direction.
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Passenger

On HAL's site under employment you can look at certain jobs and choose the certain region you want. I don't know about the ship though.
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Your passport may also have a lot to do with whether you are even considered for a cruise line job. With the exception of NCL America - who is legally forced to hire Americans - cruise lines generally do not hire us. We have a very loing history of being poor employees. The cruise lines have been burned so many times by American employees that they just won't consider us anymore. The one area where you still might have a chance is entertainment. It seems that American singers, dancers, and clowns are still preferred for the predominantly American audience.
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: I would love a job!!!

And most Americans would not work for the notoriously low wages and long hours in the service sector of the cruise ships.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Of course, it depends on the position as well.
As a Hotel Manager on a ship, I earn about US$10,000 CASH per month - tax free.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Golfgrl1911

Kat....try this web site.....www.cruisecrews.com Good luck!! Nancy
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:38 PM
First Mate

*Bruce Chafkin* -

IN YOUR DREAMS I THINK!

Who are you trying to fool?????

As an Officer you are forbidden to accept tips and it's most doubtful that any Line pays it's crew in cash.
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Suki - gotta agree with you on this one. No Officer, especially an HM is allowed to receive tips. Paid in Cash - I don't think so. He's pulling our leg.
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I just re-read Bruce's post - Suki - no where did he say he received tips. Sorry!
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Of course I don't receive tips.
Only the service staff on ships share in the tip pool.

Almost every cruise line pays their staff in cash - usually US$. I think that HAL is one of the very few cruise companies that pays with a check.

We normally are paid cash once a month.
Most of us live outside the USA. What would we do with a check drawn on a US Bank?
It's worthless at home.
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Beginner

cruiselinejobs.com is good

Old July 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM
First Mate

Hi DeeDee:
My reason for mentioning tips - I was thinking that with cash tips our poster's wage might be made up to $10,000 per month although I very much doubt it - it's big bucks when you consider free board and lodging. Still think he's pulling our legs! or dreaming !
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Beginner

I am a US citizen and have worked on cruise ships for over 10 years, and I have only been paid in cash.

As far as wanting to work on a ship, the previous posts about US citizens is true. The only real jobs available to us is in the entertainment department. And remember, it is WORK. We work 7 days a week usually for 6 months.
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki
Hi DeeDee:
I was thinking that with cash tips our poster's wage might be made up to $10,000 per month although I very much doubt it - it's big bucks when you consider free board and lodging. Still think he's pulling our legs! or dreaming !
Mmmmmmmmmm, let's see, Hotel manager on board a luxury cruise ship. Actually (in a manner of speaking) runs everything, but the ship itself. If he doesn't report directly to the Captain, then I believer he reports to the Staff Captain. In other words, in the pecking order of things, he is probably #3 or 4 in seniority.

I suppose then his monthly stipend would be about, ummmmm, $1,000. Of course not. I have absolutely no idea of what a hotel managers wages are, but don't find Bruce Chafkin's respons to be unreasonable. $120,000.00 per annum for a job with his responsibilities, certainly within the realm of possibility, or better yet probability.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Captain

Doc,

A voice of reason for a change.
Thank you.

But you still made a few errors. I don't work 12 months a year. 8 to 10 months is more usual. I only get paid when I am working. And I DO get paid in cash - just like everyone else on the ship.
The big difference is my responsibilities and hours. I am on duty 24/7. My telephone rings every hour of the day and night. I can rarely sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night. I rarely have a chance to leave the ship. I receive over 500 emails every day that must be answered, filed, and followed up on immediately. After dealing with the myriad of problems and challenges my 2700 guests want to talk about, I have over 1000 crew who also have problems and also want to talk to me about them.

Also, there is a great deal of confusion about who actually "runs" a ship.
The Captain is the owner's legal representative on board and is officially in charge of everything that happens on the vessel. He is also the senior officer officially in charge of the three other senior officers: Staff Captain (or Chief Officer), Chief Engineer, and Hotel Manager.
The Captain is overall in charge of Navigation and Safety.
The Staff Captain is in charge of Navigation, Security, and upkeep of the exterior of the vessel. (Also sometimes Medical)
The Chief Engineer is in charge of Propulsion and any machinery that is permanently attached to the vessel.
The Hotel Manager is in charge of everything else.

The Captain and Staff Captain together oversee about 5% of the crew.
The Chief Engineer oversees about 5% of the crew.
The Hotel Manager oversees about 90% of the crew.

Now comes the fun part. Over the past several decades, onboard revenue has taken on a very large importance in cruise ship operations. As the American Public demands cheaper and cheaper cruises, they get them - but the Cruise Line Companies must rely on onboard revenues to make up the shortfall in profits. At the Head Office, the VP in charge of Revenue is a very powerful guy.
They figured out a long time ago that the Captain, Staff Captain, and Chief Engineer only SPEND money, but the Hotel Manager and his staff MAKE money for the company.
You can always find somebody to drive a ship well enough, but it is very difficult to find a Hotel Manager who can successfully drive onboard revenues to the point that the ship makes a profit.
Good Hotel Managers are often paid about the same salaries as good Captains. But the Captains - with their stronger unions - usually get better perks and benefits.

So we always get a good laugh when a dissatisfied cruiser writes a note to the Captain to complain about his toilet not flushing, his waiter too slow, or the aircon too cold. The Captain walks the note over to the Hotel Manager and asks him nicely if he can have someone take care of the problem so the Captain will look good for the guest.
In fact, if the Captain wants to have dinner in the diningroom or in a specialty restaurant, he normally must ask the Hotel Manager if it will be OK.

Who is the highest paid employee on the ship?
It's not who you might think.

In nearly every case, it is the Art Auctioneer.
He makes more revenue - and profit - by himself, than any other individual on the vessel. A good Art Auctioneer earns double or triple what the Senior Officers are paid.