Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:55 PM
James Szwankowski

Default Cruises Only

For those of you considering a cruise, think twice before booking Carnival or using Cruises Only. I have traveled on Carnival serveral times and used Cruises Only many times only to be trown out with the trash when Carnival offered the Elation to house victims of the huricane.

We had a trip booked for the Sept 25 sail which has now been cancelled. Carnival did nothing more than offer a $100 cruise credit on a future cruise. The problem is Carnival nor Cruises Only has an interest in helping those of us who have had thier vacations cancelled. Carnival has other ships with space available, but rather than allow displaced customers move thier reservation to another ship with a similar itenerary, they require you rebook from scratch, and in our case at triple the fare. When I contacted my travel agent, Cruises Only, the rep also has no interest in helping us find a new trip. His response was find a trip you want and call us back. When I asked for his supervisor he hung up on me. I called back, spoke to a supervisor named Star. She assured me she would follow up on the service of the male rep that had hung up on me, however, no follow up.

We spent nine hours on web sites and phone trying to find another trip, fortunatly I found Quinn Simpkins @ Orbitz. She was simpathetic to the situation and found a great rate on a Princess trip otherwise I would be spending this vacation at home. Thank you Quinn!

If you want service, think about any cruise line but Carnival and think twice before booking with Cruises Only.
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:53 AM
big apple

Default Re: Cruises Only

From the other side with a true story.My son was scheduled to go to Iraq and was booked in room with his sister and had to cancel at last minute.Two days before cruise to leave on the Spirit orders were delayed and we tried to get back on same cruise.Not only did they rebook they gave them an upgrade to a balcony and to us the same upgrade and placed us side by side.And for the record Cruises Only was the booking agent.Letter was written to the supervisor at Carnival and I got back a personal letter thanking me for my nice letter and that it would go inthe file of the individual who went out of her way to help the week end before xmas when many were home enjoying parties etc.Many times we are quick to complain instead of dealing with the problem in a professional manner.Many times I have seen the same thing happen on the ship when some try to handle a situation without looking at the other side.For the record have been using Cruises Only for yrs and the same agent has been my contact during the entire period and I am sure he would not be with them if he did not handle the numerous situations in a professional manner.
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Did you not take Insurance?

If you didn't, then I am sorry that you are going to miss your cruise, but I feel a h**l of a lot more sorry for all those poor people who have lost everything. You can always take another cruise, but the folks of NOLA, will never get back their homes, clothes, momentos, etc. etc.
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:11 PM
First Mate

James Szwankowski*
Date:***09-06-05 22:55

For those of you considering a cruise, think twice before booking Carnival or using Cruises Only. I have traveled on Carnival serveral times and used Cruises Only many times only to be trown out with the trash when Carnival offered the Elation to house victims of the huricane.

We had a trip booked for the Sept 25 sail which has now been cancelled. Carnival did nothing more than offer a $100 cruise credit on a future cruise. The problem is Carnival nor Cruises Only has an interest in helping those of us who have had thier vacations cancelled. Carnival has other ships with space available, but rather than allow displaced customers move thier reservation to another ship with a similar itenerary, they require you rebook from scratch, and in our case at triple the fare. When I contacted my travel agent, Cruises Only, the rep also has no interest in helping us find a new trip. His response was find a trip you want and call us back. When I asked for his supervisor he hung up on me. I called back, spoke to a supervisor named Star. She assured me she would follow up on the service of the male rep that had hung up on me, however, no follow up.

Mr. Szwankowski - *I hardly say you were 'thrown out with the trash' - seems you got your money back and a future cruise credit (not worth much I agree) but something to look forward to. You also have a family intact, a home and a job - one hellofalot more than the hurricane victims. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Captain

You need to start thinking about those that are less forunate then yourself. All you
have to deal with is changing your vacation not you life. You need to look at yourself.
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Rita M. Ippoliti

Default Re: Re: Cruises Only

Amen!

The original poster got their money back ... and a $100 shipboard credit to ease the disappointment. What's the problem? As for airfare, if you didn't book it through the cruiseline, they owe you nothing for it. In that case, get in touch with a good TA and see if they can find another sailing you could go on. Also, I understand that the airlines are being more liberal with change fees in the aftermath of Katrina, so they might not even charge for the change in this case.

I think we all (myself included) love cruising so much that we lose perspective. Hey ... it's only a vacation, after all ... and it can be rescheduled.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Gertrude

Insurance would not likely cover the situation with Carnival since the carnival passengers are getting their money back.

Carnival is in breach of their contract with these passengers and may well be liable for the difference in prices between the cost of the Carnival cruise and the cost of a replacement cruise for the same time and any lost airfare or additional airfare to get to a replacement port, There is no legitimate reason why Carnival will not let passengers who had booked cruises with them have another cruise on another ship leaving at the same time unless all cabins on all of their ships for that time are booked.

Carnival is not donating their ships they are chartering the ships i.e. getting money. If the US govt comandeered the ships from Carnival the US govt may be liable to the passengers for difference in prices between the cost of the Carnival cruise and the cost of a replacement cruise for the same time and any lost airfare or additional airfare to get to a replacement port,