Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Default Vacations To Go.com

Has anyone booked a cruise with vacationstogo.com? If so, was it a good experience?

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Constellation 14
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Vacations To Go.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Has anyone booked a cruise with vacationstogo.com? If so, was it a good experience?
I've had no problems with them. I booked two Princess cruises with them in the past.

They are a discount travel agency, but they give good value for the money. You won't find bottles of liquor in the cabin when you book through them, nor will you find other "goodies," like Pinnacle Grill vouchers, etc. What you will find is probably the lowest rate possible on the cabin, with none of the extras that the full service travel agencies often throw in. You'll also get from them a bon voyage email and a welcome home one as well.

If you don't mind walking into your cabin and not finding the traditional "gifts" that other travel agents will often have waiting for you there, VacationstoGo is fine to deal with. They'll give you value for your dollar, just with none of the extras many of us look forward to getting. Frankly, if I get a good price on the cabin, they can keep the extras. While they are nice, I can certainly live without them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Passenger

hi
question: IF you book with vacations to go--is priced locked in?? ie -if sales come along thru cruise line -any chance for lower price or upgrade?
janette
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kristina99 Send a message via MSN to Kristina99

We booked our last cruise with Vacationstogo because of the amazing rate. we just needed a lastminute vacation to get away from the cold weather...and not having the "extras" was fine.

As for price changes, it depends on the cruiseline policy. This was something we asked about when we booked, but Costa doesnt refund the difference if the price drops.

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old May 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janettekay
hi
question: IF you book with vacations to go--is priced locked in?? ie -if sales come along thru cruise line -any chance for lower price or upgrade?
janette
I would imagine the price is locked in ... because the vacationstogo price is generally far below the cruise line's price anyway. But, as with all things, you could probably call your agent and ask her to try to get you a reduction if the price drops. If nothing else, maybe she can get you some OBC.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Passenger

thanks for your input!
I found out that the VTG price and HAL is same----guess I have to see what I can do........
janette
Booked -Caribbean HAL Noordam 10/2008
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janettekay
thanks for your input!
I found out that the VTG price and HAL is same----guess I have to see what I can do........
janette
I dare say, I find that very hard to believe. With the exception of Celebrity and RCL who don't allow travel agencies to post prices below their own, VacationsToGo always has lower prices than the cruise lines' "rack rate."

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Passenger

yes- it is correct- I called again to check....same price-but I did get VTG agent to throw in a cabin credit (small but better than nothing).....
(agent did say that they usually always match line price-but then on some select sailings get better deals in bulk )
janette
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Vacations to go is not the best place to buy cruises. It's a good guide to start with, but then look around, I always find cheaper on the web than them. Also, their prices don't include taxes that they are showing, so it is very deceiving. For example an Alaskan cruise inside cabin will show $699 or so and then when you call them, they say, yes, but then it's another $120 pp for taxes. So they aren't showing you the bottom line pricing. I wouldn't use them.
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Passenger

I've used them twice and would go to them first the next time. I have also tried AAA ta twice and both times had problem with booking.

VTG is very good site to research prices and see lots of last minute cruises. Their prices are very straight forward with no other fees added in except taxes. Can't say same for our ta, where add ons were lot higher. But we do miss not getting the little freebies.

I get about 25 emails a week from various discount online travel and cruise sites and still think VTG is one of the easist to use.
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Passenger

thanks all....
yes-I agree site is easy to use--and great for comparing cruises....
I did wind up booking with them --TA was very pleasant and helpfull...
as far as getting any new discounts,etc.... if any come along-I would have to cancel and rebook--
janettekay
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Beginner

i USED VACATIONS TO GO OCT. 2006. sERVICE WAS ONLY FAIR. wOULD USE AGAIN IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. JIM
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Passenger

Like I said VTG is a great website and good starting point in looking for a cruise, but they are by FAR not the cheapest you can find on the web. I have always, always gotten cheaper than them from someone else on the web. I like their website to do a quick search for what is out there and a good starting poing on pricing, but never have they been the lowest, ever.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Beginner

We purchased our 12/8 Mexican Rivera cruise through this company. Hoping we made a wise choice! I looked through different travel companies and all seemed quite similar. Agent was very helpful.
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by off2ctheworld
We purchased our 12/8 Mexican Rivera cruise through this company. Hoping we made a wise choice! I looked through different travel companies and all seemed quite similar. Agent was very helpful.
I am sure you made a wise choice. True, they may not be the cheapest on the web, but when you're investing your vacation dollars, do you really want the cheapest? What you should be looking for is the best value for your money. VTG certainly does give value. True, you won't get all the "gimmies" that some of the other TA's will provide ... such as bottles of wine, shipboard credits, coupons for various things, etc. ... but you won't be paying extra for them either.

I've used this agency a couple of times now, and have no complaints. Their agents are knowledgeable and do return phone calls. To me, that's important. They also have emergency off-hours contact people, which can also be important if something goes wrong. Many of the other large online agencies don't provide that, and that fact makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Be sure to let us know how your experience turns out. We'd all be interesting in hearing.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Use to book through VTG until I found http://www.cruisevalue.com. Cruise Value has always beat VTG in pricing, on one trip, we saved $800 with CruiseValue!

However, I will add that this last trip that we booked with Cruise Value, with a friend, has been messed up like no cruise I've ever taken. The agent is in and out of the office with a sick wife and we've finally had to involve a manager because of all the problems. Trip doesn't start until Oct 30, so don't know how it will all be resolved yet.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Friends of our's always use VTG. They arrange their own flights because they can get a better airfare locally.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Passenger

We used them for an upcoming cruise. The price was exactly the same as HAL because of a three day sale with HAL. HAL had a promo for free parking and no one would honor the promo. It was for tickets purchased during the same period of time and regular HAL employees said we were entitled but the "travel agent " side of HAL said no. So I am unhappy with VTG but alot of that comes from me not totally understanding the travel business and the T/A not taking the time to explain to me. But that is last weeks news and now I am looking forward to a great cruise.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
I booked with vacationstogo.com for a land tour to include a prenite. The tour company later offered the prenight free. I called the agent to get a credit and his response to me was, "Oh, come on, Mr. xxx!". I then explained to him I would cancel and rebook if I didn't get the credit and told him I expect a TA to be my advocate, not opponent. He checked with his sup and later called me back to say i would get the credit. About a month before the tour, I called and left a message that I had not received my docs nor the free carry on bags the tour provides. He never called back and altho I did get the docs, I never got the bags. When I returned, I got an email from Vacations to Go pres. Alan Fox who wanted to know how things went. I emailed a response and got a reply back that they'd look in my complaints. I never received a reply. Recently, I emailed them to take me off their list as I would never book with them again. A supervisor called me back, took responsiblity and apologized...I told him I felt I had excellent service with AffordableTours for the same discount and reminded him people have a choice between good or bad service.
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Beginner

Default Cheap is not always best

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingJen
Vacations to go is not the best place to buy cruises. It's a good guide to start with, but then look around, I always find cheaper on the web than them. Also, their prices don't include taxes that they are showing, so it is very deceiving. For example an Alaskan cruise inside cabin will show $699 or so and then when you call them, they say, yes, but then it's another $120 pp for taxes. So they aren't showing you the bottom line pricing. I wouldn't use them.
Cheapest is not always best. Buy the cheapest and you are giving up something. One of the things you give up is the advocate you have with your travel agent should a problem occur. I use to buy the cheapest. One time we had a bad experience on board. We called our agent, a non discount agency. She was able to solve our discontent while we were on board the ship. She know who at the cruise line to call. That service was worth the extra $100 we spent on a full service agency.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Beginner

We booked our last and only cruise with Vacations to Go and were very pleased with the service. Others in our group had used them before and said not to worry. Our TA was Lea Morrison and she was very efficient.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Passenger

I always look on VTG to find a good cruise at a good price then call my local TA and she always can get the same deal as we found on VTG. Yes, we get the little "gifts" our TA supplies for purchasing through her but even better, she stays up on current price reductions and recently had $600 pp taken off our upcoming cruise because she checked for a price reduction even without our asking.
I just feel more comfortable being able to go to my agents office if I need to rather than doing everything online or over the phone.
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a TA and only on one occasion have I not been able to match the VTG price for my passengers... after spending an hour with them on the itinerary and giving them the lowest rate available to me ($30 pp more than VTG) ... I left it up to the clients and told them no hard feelings if they booked with them this time but to keep me in mind for their next vacation... they were back the next day to book with me as they felt my honesty and willingness to stilll help them despite the possibility of not getting the booking made price less important.

All is great when dealing with them... but I would like to see what they would do if they needed to write a complaint letter on your behalf post cruise.... would you still receive the same service?

If the price is the same through a local travel agent, why would you book online? The $$ earned in your community is subsequently spent in your community.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Hello

I get the email news letter every week. I have never used their service to book anything yet. I find better pricing and "bang for my buck" by going through my local AAA Travel Agent. I can compare prices, and every time, the value added has been better at AAA for some reason.
At least I can go in and see a live person, who has traveled, or knows someone in the company who has, and can get me answers to my questions.

I am retired now. I did the same thing when I was working.

Most, if not all, of my personnal travel has been by ship.
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:06 AM
Familiar Face

Is there a way of looking at the different catagories and cabin numbers on their site, or do you have to call them up?

All I see is the all inside and all outside lumped together under just 2 prices.

Thanks for any help.