Old August 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Ducks?

I've been reading the HAL board and noticed that there is a group called "Ducks" on a future Volendam cruise. I'm just curious to know what kind of group is this and whether it is a large one. Is that cruise a charter for the Duck's group?

Thank you
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Admiral

You've got the wrong board. The "ducks" post on another board/web site, which I don't believe I am not allowed to post here.

The "ducks" sail on Holland America's Volendam and are a private group organized by a TA in Arizona. It's not that large, but you have to be invited to join them.

I don't know if the Head Duck posts on this board, but if she does, I am sure she will explain it all to you.
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks much - I just don't want to book on a cruise with a group that is very large because sometimes it causes public rooms to be reserved by the group, and therefore, unavailable to other passengers. I was just concerned about that. Thank you!
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM
Beginner

Hello!

I have been onboard with this group before and it really wasn't a problem. I think they all had ducks on their doors and there was a huge amount of "quacking" going on during announcements and such, but I don't recall even not being able to go where I wanted to go.

Have a fun cruise!

Jennifer
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Jennifer! I can stand the quacking and the ducks-on-doors just fine - just didn't want to book a cruise and have access to only 1/2 a ship! :-)
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak1
Thanks Jennifer! I can stand the quacking and the ducks-on-doors just fine - just didn't want to book a cruise and have access to only 1/2 a ship! :-)
Believe me you definitely will not be denied access to 1/2 the ship. This is a fun group and there are only about 30-40 of them on board.

Check out the top of the mast - you will probably see a Duck up there.
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Captain

It's a fun group of folks who met as posters on another cruise message board. The 'head duck' is a delightful lady who is a TA and she has sailed Volendam a great many times. They have 'en suite' parties and private events which would not inconvenience anyone in any way. They're just a fun group of around 20 more or less people. Volendam usually has a duck or two or five on the bridge, on a mast, in all sorts of places when they are aboard. They sail every year and a half or so.

Volendam is a wonderful ship. Enjoy your cruise on her.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Beginner

I believe that there are about 25 ducks on the cruise 11/3, and they will not be taking over any public rooms are dining areas. The most public thing that you will see are ducks on doors and perhaps a few stuffed ducks or so here and there around the ship, and you may see a few Duck T shirts on the first day. I agree with Sail that the Queen Duck is a delightful TA from AZ.