Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Beginner

Default Oosterdam and other HAL Questions

I'm going on my first Holland America cruise this weekend; third cruise since '05. I'm hooked. In the past I have cruised with Carnival and it's been a blast. I'm afraid HAL isn't quite the 'fun ship' I have experienced in the past and I'm afraid I might be a little dissapointed. None the less, I do have a few questions - especially for those that have gone on a HAL cruise recently.

1.) For alcohol, I prefer beer and was curious what brands they sell on board. (such as coors light, miller light, bud light, ect..... Carnival didn't have Coors light on my last cruise - May '07)

2.) Are beers served in 16oz plastic bottles (like Carnival), 16oz aluminum cans/bottles, or another size? I prefer plastic as I'm sure they do to safety reasons.

3.) Do you remember what the price is for a bucket of beer?

4.) The $15 fee for bringing wine/champagne on board - is it per bottle, or total no matter how many bottles you bring on?

5.) I'm worried about the dress code. I almost ALWAYS wore sandles on carnival except at dinner. Are t-shirts, shorts, sandles, and pool wear acceptable when going from one location to another? Meaning, can I go from the pool to another part of the ship without getting odd looks during normal pool hours?

6.) Where on the boat are jeans acceptable?

7.) Any idea how much laundry service is? I was hoping to pack a small amount of clothes and then do a wash on board myself, but apparently I can't on the Oosterdam. If it's reasonably priced, I might still pack light for the 7 day voyage.

8.) What late night activities are there to do on board? Lounges/ dance clubs? I'm looking forward to the piano bar but I'm hoping there is still a lot to do after 11pm besides gamble.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

I have read several of the HAL reviews and I'm thinking I might feel somewhat out of place. Myself and my girlfriend are going with 3 other couples and we are all between 25 and 32 years old. I hope we aren't too rowdy for HAL's standards. We are all young professionals, but we do like to have fun on vacations - and for several of us that means leatting loose so to speak. Should be a vaction to always remember with my great friends.

Thanks again,
Derek
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Admiral

4.) The $15 fee for bringing wine/champagne on board - is it per bottle, or total no matter how many bottles you bring on?

The $15.00 is a corkage fee if you take the bottle to the dining room. There is no charge for bringing the wine/champagne on board the ship and drink it in your cabin.

5.) I'm worried about the dress code. I almost ALWAYS wore sandles on carnival except at dinner. Are t-shirts, shorts, sandles, and pool wear acceptable when going from one location to another? Meaning, can I go from the pool to another part of the ship without getting odd looks during normal pool hours?

Sandals are perfectly fine, in fact you will find most people either in sandals, flip flops or runners during the day and also wearing shorts and t-shirts. If you are in swim wear, they ask that you put on a cover up when you go from the pool to the inside of the ship. Mind you I've seen a few people walk into the Lido to get their lunch, etc., in their bathing suits and nothing on their feet - YUCK when I have to look at some guy with a bare belly as I am getting my food.

7.) Any idea how much laundry service is? I was hoping to pack a small amount of clothes and then do a wash on board myself, but apparently I can't on the Oosterdam. If it's reasonably priced, I might still pack light for the 7 day voyage.

They usually have a special on laundry - there is a blue laundry bag in the cupboard where the safe is and you can put all you can get into it for around $15.00. They do a great job!

Can't help you with your other questions, but I am sure someone on the board can.

Have a great time!
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info DeeDee.

I can bring the champgane and wine in my carry-on, correct? I wouldn't be against carrying a large box on board with me if they are OK with it too.

As for the laundry, $15 isn't bad. I was worried they wanted $5 for a t-shirt, $6/shorts, ect. $15/bag seems reasonable.

I'm glad to hear about the sandles - I bought two pair just for this cruise. I also agree with you on the shirt and buffet/lido area - shirts are a must when around food. Like you, I don't wan to see a hairy, fat gut near the food I'm abotu to eat.

Thanks again!

If anyone can comment on the beer I would appreciate it!
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Beginner

DeeDee - do you know if Pineapple juice is available on the boat, and if so, do I need to buy a drink card to get it?
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's been a while since I was on a HAL Ship (Noordam 12/06), but I do re-call they had pinapple juice free for the taking in the Lido, so I can't imagine them charging for it anywhere else. I also know at that time, anyway they had Coors Lite in glass bottles. And yes, you can carry champagne on with you, or a box for that matter, as long as it will fit through the X-Ray machine. Hope this helps. Sailing on the Westerdam myself this May and can't wait. Go VOLS!
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Admiral

I think they have pineapple juice, along with grapefruit, orange, apple, tomato juice in the morning for breakfast in the Lido, but I believe that if you wanted it later in the day to add to a drink, then you would have to get it at the bar and pay for it.

Some of the ships have a dispenser in the Lido (where you can get coffee/tea/water), which serves some juices, like lemonade and something else, but I've never seen pineapple juice.

Not sure about this, but I'll check when I am on the Veendam in a couple of weeks.
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the help DeeDee.

We are leaving for Atlanta (drivin) in 3 hours. We fly direct from ATL to San Diego on Saturday morning. I have packed some extra pineapple juice just incase. It's triple sealed so I shouldn't have to worry about it in flight.

I called HA today and they don't carry coors light . I'm not sure if I want to pay $5/beer on board or try and take some on. I plan on buying a lot of champagne before I go on. I already called a local liquor store and they stock martinin and rossi! YumYum.

Should be a good trip. I'm half way to a tan already and I'm still in Tennessee! Thanks again!
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Captain

You're allowed to bring wine and champagne aboard but not beer or other liquor.

OP has probably left already but maybe this post will be helpful to someone else.